viscous substance

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:35 pm
I saw this substance while walking through a hill, in the semiarid of Baja California, México, at first I thought it was some kind of ice somebody had dropped down, but when I crossed over there again the next day I realized it couldn't be ice because the substance was intact and not melted, then I touched with a stick and I realized it was viscous, kind of jelly-like. After that I spotted three more places over the hill where this substance was laying. By the way it has been raining with scanty sun radiating. Is this biological or human made?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51986587@N04/sets/72157641868915903/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 874 • Replies: 4
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 01:54 pm
@tlatoanitzin,
I was walking in the woods one time and found an old diaper that some animal had torn open. It has been raining the night before and the chemical/material inside the diaper looked like that.

It does not look like a slime-mold (which would be biological) and it does not look like plant sap of any kind. So I would guess that it's a man-made polymer for soaking up liquid (the kind of stuff they use in diapers) and someone spilled it out there and then the rain came and saturated it, and it expanded into clear polymer glop.
tlatoanitzin

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 02:06 pm
@rosborne979,
I think you are right, your hypothesis does make sense. Thank you!
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 02:42 pm
I know "blue ice" drops from airliners, maybe it's some muck along those lines like leaking hydraulic fluid or grease or something

WIKI- Blue ice in the context of aviation is frozen sewage material leaked mid-flight from commercial aircraft lavatory waste systems, a biowaste mixture of human waste and liquid disinfectant that freezes at high altitude.
The name comes from the blue color of the disinfectant. Airlines are not allowed to dump their waste tanks in mid-flight, and pilots have no mechanism by which to do so; however, leaks can occur"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_ice_(precipitation)

tlatoanitzin

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 04:06 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Very interesting of course, I didn't know about that. Although many airplanes passes along above the place and although the substance indeed look incredibly like ice it is not. It is a kind of jelly. I'm not sure that blue ice can turn like this after undergoing environment temperatures and melting.
0 Replies