How to rebel in modern America

Greyfan

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 07:30 am
A month ago, I was involved in a three-car accident. No injuries, but my car was the only one that could be driven from the scene, and that was just barely. I am currently a much more cautious driver, as I was 20 years ago after being involved in my last accident. I know, from experience, that eventually I will resume driving like everyone else, but in the meantime I have noticed something odd:

Nobody in America drives the posted speed limit. And the average driver gets very angry with you if you do.

So that's it; if you want to be a rebel today, the most outrageous way to do it is by obeying the law.

Drive the speed limit. Come to a full and complete stop. Stay in the right lane unless passing. Be courteous to other drivers. Drive defensively.

And go buy yourself a leather jacket, you renegade.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,025 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 07:37 am
I was once pulled over by the highway patrol because someone had radioed her that I was impeding traffic by driving too slowly. I had my cruise control set at 7 miles over the speed limit. Well, excuuuuuuse me!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 07:38 am
Nice post. The driving situation in Toronto is getting way out of control as well. Anyone who owns a car should think about the fact that it IS a deadly weapon.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 07:46 am
Mind you, always consider the 'option';
could it be, that if a 'everyone' drives above the speed limits, that, just 'possibly', the speed limits are to low for the typical road conditions?

It's dicey to claim that everyone 'else' is wrong!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 09:21 am
And what about those rebels who pay all their bills on time? That's me, man! I'm controversial!
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 10:01 am
Smile
You're not back to driving yet, then?
I was rear-ended, and that made me paranoid for over a year. The first couple of months, I was paying more attention to my rearview mirror than the road in front of me.
As soon as you do speed up to go with the flow of traffic, that's when you alone get pulled over for speeding! grrr.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 10:05 am
I don't drive, and I don't often pay my bills on time. I suppose that makes me part of the status quo. <sigh> What is the legal limit for driving while on speed anyway?
0 Replies