IN DECADES, HOW OLD ARE YOU?

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 10:20 pm
funny, as I get older I'm finding out that my parents WEREN'T right about everything!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 10:21 pm
Wilso, you were lucky to have such wise parents. One of the worst things about growing up is that you become a parent who is perceived as wrong ABOUT EVERYTHING.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 01:07 am
*It is SO nice to know that in my 6th decade I am in such great company AS DANON5 & DIANE. Who else is in
their 6th here?
*JL - you ARE sooooo very SWEET and thoughtful and know exactly
what to say to a girl. Did you happen to grow up in a family with
many sisters, JL?
*QUINN - I can't help but think of kiwi fruit or some really
odd vegetable every time I look at your avatar??? What is it?
*I would not go back one day, one minute, or one second, not
for all the tea in China or the money in The Caymen Island
bank accounts. I LOVE my age and all that I learned from it,
during it, because of it or whatever. Living, it just keeps getting
better and better. Of course, I keep getting older and older, but
then - for every glorious prize - there IS always a price.
*The years, they don't bother me at all. The health problems that accompany them (in my case) are all that annoy me.
So many things I want to do, love to do, used to do regularly
that are no longer possible for me now. But, there is always the
possibility that my disease could enter a remission of some kind,
any kind.
So, HIP HIP HOORAY - for all the glorious possibilities!
0 Replies

JoanDark

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 01:50 am
Hi ya, all you babies in yer 6th decade!
*I* am beginning my 7th!
And feeling right pert, too! To paraphrase Babs, I wouldn't have missed it for the world! Nor go back even a day! I'm getting so clever! AND seeing,all the while how fantastically smart my parents were-so amazing! Why didn't I listen to them?

The peculiar part of this long, strange trip is that you're going along, all merry, feeling as usual, going about your business-suddenly you can't read the cooking instructions on the back of the noodles. Whaaaaa? Gotta go find reading glasses?Why are they making the writing so tiny??
Or you go to get up from sitting here online, but wait! My knee wont bend! Oh what is this????

From being a daughter, I know better than to give MY daughters advice.Although I could be SO helpful-I've been to the places where they are.

And a huge joy of my life has been relating to my grandchildren in EXACTLY the same way I did with their mother. Even having the exact conversations!With them looking at me out of her/my eyes!

So, yeah,I'm the Grateful-not dead, but Elder. Still Crazy After All These Years! :wink:
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 07:31 am
Interesting direction this thread has taken...I wonder if the poll pattern will hold through the next 40 postings?
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 09:27 am
Only one way to know, Mapleleaf!

Joan, from your energy here I always thought your chronological age was a bit younger than it is. That'll teach me to make silly assumptions about energy level corresponding to age!

I'm with k, realizing that my parents aren't right about everything, but learning to be more accepting of their mistakes (along with my own.)
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 12:39 pm
Joandark, I greatly enjoyed your "phenomenological" account of the aging experience. I've found it fascinating how my self-concept has changed over the years, observing and reflecting upon the benchmarks of aging. For example, when people started calling me "sir", when I found it harder to lift myself out of the car (and I'm not overweight), the graying of hair, the slight slant of my head forward (my ears are no longer directly over my shoulders as they should be), how women in the twenties and thirties look more and more like children, etc. It's a fascinating process, aging. But, as they say, it aint for sissies. The body aches and increased medications are what I have in mind, but as my doctor said, if I should wake up in the morning without pains, I MAY be dead. He's a charmer.
Babs. Thanks for your appreciation. I never had sisters, always wanted some; instead I was raised with the smelly socks of brothers. I DO, however, have strong recollections of being around sixty and seventy something women whom I found very attractive and wise. Hence, older women are more womanly for me.
0 Replies

JoanDark

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 08:22 pm
Hi Marycat!! The first timeI saw you on abuzz, your name was Marycat is a crackpot! That was so adorable that I've always thought of you that way (not as a crackpot, but as adorable!)
Hey, yeah, stuff happens. Are you afraid of me now that you know I'm ...old?
I love the chili peppers!

JLNobody-lifting out of the car? Fuggedaboudit! How about lifting in? I often put my left leg in manually!And ecology aside, I'd never drive an SUV, because I could not climb up there! Confused
Myself, I come from a family of chronically youthful-appearing people. This is NOT necessarily cool. If a person is starting their 7th decade, and is arthritic, that's understandable. If a person looks in their 40s and can't get their leg into the car, that's weird!
At my Whole Foods Supermarket, the staff addresses everyone as Sir or Maam. I love this! Being Maam is so much more fun than being Hey Sweets! Razz
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 08:35 pm
Babs, so true about JLN--I think I'm in love!

I've had the great pleasure to meet Joan, Quinn and littlek. Joan is my age, with wonderful energy, delightful wit, and a love of life and family, and dog (Rupert) that shows in almost everything she writes.

I think of Quinn and littlek almost as daughters or nieces. They are adorable and wise and fun. I love being in a group of mixed ages. I would dry up and blow away if I ever lived in one of those communities for people over 55. Ugh!

BTW, I'm over that blue funk I was feeling because of my 60th birthday coming up in a few months--back to loving life everyday. Thank you all for being patient and supportive. I'm a little embarrassed for getting like that.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 08:39 pm
I am soooooooooo jealous! I wanna meet everyone, too! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 08:44 pm
Diane, in a blue funk? The blonde bombshell who walked up the mountain in November? The gal babyCleo wants to grow up to be?
In a blue funk?

That is simply wrong! Is is time for a road trip? or time to plan a road trip?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 09:26 pm
decades
Joandark, you have a WholeFoods market? Great. I'm going to do you a great favor. Buy a jar of their "grape seed oil vegenaise". It is absolutely delicious. I don't eat mayonaise anymore (cholesterol) and I can't stand ANY substitute so far--until vegenaise. And it is actually GOOD for your heart. I'm not involved with the company at all. My motives are truly altruistic, downright religious in fact. I hope anybody who reads this and has access to a WholeFoods market will try it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 09:35 pm
I would JL, but I hate mayo to begin with
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 09:39 pm
decades
Oh well. Still....
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 10:05 pm
Bethie, road trip? Let's go!!! Will Setanta come too? If so, between the two of you, I won't have to say a word. LOL

Rae, we have a place in Ponte Vedra Beach where we'll be in late January until May. Maybe we can get together.

Have you come across Letty on a2k? She was also on abuzz. She lives in Daytona Beach. It isn't as easy for her to get away because her husband is ill, but she could probably go someplace local. She's a delight, used to be a singer in her husband's band. Even well into her 70's, she is drop dead gorgeous!

Phoenix also lives in Florida--I would love to meet her. We should really try to get together with as many as possible. Each time I've met with abuzzers (now a2kers) it has been absolutely delightful. If babsofamelia lives on Amelia Island, she is another one we could meet.

JLN, the grapeseed vegenaise sounds good. My son is a vegen, so I try to have as many vegen foods around as possible for when he comes by. I've tried Nayonaise--not bad, but it isn't a satisfactory substitute.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 10:10 pm
Diane ~ cool beans! Consider it a done deal! And Letty is not that far from us.....I'd be happy to drive to her.

Oh man......I'm excited now!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 10:13 pm
Wheeeeee!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 10:15 pm
Give me a date, young lady.....we need to start coordinating and coercing!

Doin the happy dance.....! Laughing
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 11:04 pm
decades
Nayonaise is atrocious Your son will be SO greatful to you (and to me). I wish you gals a super get-together. I wish I was a gal (and had the time) to join up with you. Sounds wonderful. DO IT.
0 Replies

JoanDark

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2003 12:32 am
Diane, you're too kind, to me! (smooch)!
Besides,I'm older than you!

Why not act like that? Isn't it so weird turning the S age?

Oh, Rae, how I'd love to meet you, and Mummy, and Paddy!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/21/2024 at 04:47:50