One size fits all education...

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 08:46 am
http://politichicks.tv/column/public-education-hurting-helping-kids/

Quote:
.....What if I had insisted that they all learn the same thing at the same time, and the more they struggled, the more I doubled down on the academics? Would they have learned faster? Or would they have come to see learning as something to avoid at all cost, something that sucked all the joy out of life? How do we help children become “life-long learners” when they experience learning as drudgery at such an early age?

I’ll tell you what we did with our son who was a classic late-bloomer. Unlike the schools, we backed off of academics. We did a little phonics instruction each day, read a lot of books, played, built things, spent lots of time outdoors and made sure he had plenty of action. We did hands on math activities and shopped together. We lived life and incorporated learning into our daily activities. As he matured, we gradually added in academic activities that were appropriate for his personality and developmental level.

If my four kids developed so differently, imagine the disparities among kids with much broader differences in genetics, home environment, natural inclinations, and early experiences.....

Read the rest of this PolitiChicks.tv article here: http://politichicks.tv/column/public-education-hurting-helping-kids/#OQosuDItFtct2BYx.99
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 574 • Replies: 4
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 09:42 am
@gungasnake,
It's always so interesting to me to see these kinds of posts on conservative websites since I see a lot of similar ones on liberal websites. Both "sides" point to the government and it's test, test, test mentality as the culprit.

If they would put their other political differences aside and join together on this issue things might change.

Do you have "Netflix", gunga? Have you seen the documentary "The Revisionaires"? It's about how our textbook sausage gets made. I'd be interested in knowing what you think about it as you and I sit on opposite sides of some of the issues it discusses but seem to share some ideas about schooling.
BillRM

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 10:55 am
@gungasnake,
There is a very very interesting book by the name of "The New School" by Glenn Reynolds that focus on the higher education problem with special reference to runaway costs and student debt burdens and the cost/benefits of that higher education.

I have one step daughter and her husband, in high paying jobs/careers that did not clear their student loans until their forties and that even when my wife did paid for her undergraduate degree in full.

Reynolds suggest other paths such as bringing back apprenticeships and depending on more certification by testing there it does not matter where the person got his or her knowledge.

In any case, he suggest never going deeply in debt for a degree with special note of not doing so for fields that would not allow the degree holder to paid whatever debt within a few years.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:36 am
@boomerang,
If I can find it on Netflix or Hulu+ I'll take a look. Best single point of info on education I know of at present is John Gato, several books, e.g.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=john+gatto+dumbing+us+down&tag=googhydr-20&index=stripbooks&hvadid=30912616539&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1147374676421336405&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_68ljga47qz_b

http://www.amazon.com/Dumbing-Down-Curriculum-Compulsory-Schooling-ebook/dp/B0097CYWW4/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392572154&sr=1-1&keywords=john+gatto+dumbing+us+down
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 11:38 am
@BillRM,
I have to like Rick Perry's notion of a $10K - 12K bachelor's degree.
0 Replies