Annuity Payment

eLg

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 05:58 am
I am new to economics....
My question is "What is the equivalent equal annual payment continuing for five years, given present sum of $5000 and interest at 8%? the answer is 1252." This question from my textbook
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 934 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by eLg
engineer
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 03:38 pm
@eLg,
Not sure what your question is here but I'll make up one and try to answer. What you are trying to determine is how much money you can take each year so that the value after five years is zero. Let the amount be X. After the first year, you have $5000 + $400 (the interest) - X. Each year you do the same thing. I could derive the formula for you but you should just use this calculator instead. This is also the exact same formula for figuring out a car payment. If you buy a $5000 car at 8% interest for five years, your payment would be $1252/year.
eLg

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 10:25 pm
@engineer,
Got it...Thank you..
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 08:11 pm
@engineer,
Engineer, I'm not sure your answer is correct. If that $5000 is paid in monthly installments, the interest earned will not be $400. When buying a car for $5,000 to be paid over five years at 8% interest, the monthly payment will be $102.05 or $1,224.60/year.
engineer

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 08:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The problem specified annual payments but you are right that the value is slightly different if you compound monthly.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 08:34 pm
@engineer,
You are correct as the problem is stated; as annual. However, in real life, annuity and car payments are monthly.
Miss L Toad

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 10:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
However, in real life, annuity ... payments are monthly.

In late breaking market news a perpetuity has just been valued at 1 upon i up front.
0 Replies