When does an island become a continent?

iGeo

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 10:12 am
When does an island become a continent? Or, are all continents or inter-continents an island, but no (or not all) islands are continents?

We define, for example, the islands of Hawaii and Japan as islands. But, is Australia an island, or is too big (so, would an island be defined in terms of physical size?)? In fact, why isn't the North and South American continents defined as one island? And, how about Pangaea? It is one big land mass surrounded by one bigger ocean...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,959 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 11:01 am
@iGeo,
iGeo wrote:

It's an arbitrary distinction. Every land mass greater than Greenland is a continent. Every land mass smaller than Australia is an island. Why draw the line between Greenland and Australia? No reason. It's just a convention among geographers. Geographers with a time machine wouldn't know how to apply it to the land masses of the past; geographers with a space ship wouldn't know how to apply it to alien planets.
iGeo

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 11:27 am
@Thomas,
If it's an arbitrary convention (or a convention without a distinct technical definition), then one could consider contiguous inter-continents as islands. Neat!
Thomas

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 06:58 am
@iGeo,
iGeo wrote:
If it's an arbitrary convention (or a convention without a distinct technical definition), then one could consider contiguous inter-continents as islands. Neat!

Indeed. We could call them islands all the way up to Eurasiafrica and NorthAndSouthAmerica --- or continents all the way down to St Helena, or whatever the smallest island is. I don't think it would change anything substantive in geography.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 01:43 pm

When i say it does, and not a moment before!
0 Replies

ros76768

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 11:12 am
@iGeo,
This does not help me at all. I might report you for wasting my time. I am writing an essay on when an island becomes a continent and was searching about it on the internet when I found this. I love Australia. You should not be talking about Australia when you probably do not live in Australia. You were wasting YOUR time by writing this article. Actually it is not even an article. I am going to report you to the police if you do not delete this right now.
ros76768

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 11:14 am
Hello
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 03:21 pm
@ros76768,
Hell yes. Report Him Now! Our time is valuable.
0 Replies