MICHAEL MOORE OUT-SOURCING DESIGN, SERVER TO CANADA!

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 09:42 am
Edit: Moderator: Moved from General to Internet. Please post topics in the appropriate category.

DRUDGE REPORT THU APRIL 22, 2004

DUDE, WHERE'S YOUR WEBSITE: MICHAEL MOORE OUT-SOURCING DESIGN, SERVER TO CANADA!

Advocate Michael Moore may have released a book titled DUDE, WHERE'S MY COUNTRY?, and may have vaulted to stardom documenting worker's rights and corporate malfeasance in Flint, Michigan, but that has not stopped Moore from outsourcing his website design and servers -- to companies based in Canada!

Cannes-bound Moore, the great protector of the U.S. working class, has outsourced the design of his Web site to a foreign company in Canada, records show.

PLANK -- based in Montréal, Québec -- is the development and design company behind MichaelMoore.com.

Meanwhile, Moore's site is hosted by a foreign owned company, Webcore Labs, of Calgary, Alberta Canada. [Webcore does maintain an office in Beverly Hills, CA.]

Moore did not respond to repeated requests for comment.

Moore is to get star billing at this year's Cannes Film Festival with the controversial FAHRENHEIT 9/11.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,231 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Jer

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 09:45 am
Maybe he figures it'll keep the US gov't from going through his stuff that way Wink
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 09:47 am
BBB
It will be interesting to learn Moore's response. Maybe because he grew up in Flint Michigan, he doesn't consider Canada a foreign country.

BBB
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 10:02 am
Maybe because of NAFTA he doesn't have a problem with it?

Does the Patriot Act allow the government to snoop more than they were allowed to before?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 10:05 am
Jer
Jer, you are kidding me, of course?

BBB
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 10:15 am
BBB,

Before coffee in the morning I'm always smiling Razz
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 10:23 am
BBB,

Seriously...let's think for a minute.

Why would Michael Moore choose a Montreal-based company to do his site design and a Calgary company to host his site?

I can't imagine the choice would be based on the fact that CDN dollars are cheaper because the cost of a website is so minimal to Moore that it wouldn't make a difference. Like whether I pay $1.25 for a cup of coffee or $1.75. It's just not an issue.

I'm guessing that he is friends with someone at the Montreal company or else he really liked their work. My guess is that the Montreal company decided who would be hosting his website, because usually the designer recommends the hosting company to the client.

If you can think of any other reason why he's using a Canadian company I would love to hear them.

Really though, I think that this is much ado about nothing.

My two cents.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 10:37 am
You could e-mail and ask him. I think his address is [email protected].
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 10:51 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
It will be interesting to learn Moore's response. Maybe because he grew up in Flint Michigan, he doesn't consider Canada a foreign country.

BBB

In his part of the world Canada is part of the local economy. What's the big deal? Confused
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 11:05 am
A lot of websites are designed and hosted in other countries. Ireland is quite famous for the number of sites it designs and hosts for businesses in other countries (particularly in Europe). Canada is noted (this is what the i.t. guys tell me) for innovation in website design.

It's not a big deal.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 11:05 am
The Canadiens keep sending their garbage to Michigan so we sent them Michael Moore in return.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 11:06 am
nahhhh, you got to keep Mr. Moore. We just got the website.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 11:11 am
Canada has relatively strong IT.

Several elements of Able2Know.com had the programming outsourced to Canada, the reason was simple, for what I was looking for the best company on the net happened to be Canadian. The same company made a bid to be A2K's datacenter but lost out because in hosting they were not competitive.

Yesterday I was on the phone with a prospective parter site from Canada...

It's just the way it is, I find what company is best for the job and price and the country they are located in usually doesn't matter (and usually is not even apparent until you check).

Just within the last week I've outsourced or purchased services from Canada, Israel, India, Hong Kong, China, Italy, and several eastern European countries (dunno which, I'm just guessing based on their English).

I've never made a decision based on country, I just choose the best people for the job and because of the global nature of the net they could be anywhere.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 12:15 pm
Just before the Wisconsin Presidential Primary, the John "No More Outsourcing" Kerry campaign flooded the state with phonecalls to likely voters. I happened to get one. One of the key points was Kerry's commitment to American Jobs for Americans. According to the caller ID display, the call originated in Canada.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 12:55 pm
Moderator, I posted this topic in general because it's about outsourcing American jobs. I don't understand why you took the liberty of moving it.

I'm confused.

BBB Confused
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 04:01 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Just before the Wisconsin Presidential Primary, the John "No More Outsourcing" Kerry campaign flooded the state with phonecalls to likely voters. I happened to get one. One of the key points was Kerry's commitment to American Jobs for Americans. According to the caller ID display, the call originated in Canada.

As a volunteer for the Kerry campaign, I called almost 1,000 people who live in the tri-state area (MD, VA, DE) from Maryland. Most likely, the person who called you was not a paid employee of the Kerry campaign, but a volunteer. I would think that Canadian citizens would like George Bush elected out of office as much as half the American population does and plenty of them are willing to volunteer for such a cause. Very Happy
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 04:09 pm
I think the canucks better keep their hands off. I'll go back to Michigan and volunteer to be the first line of defense.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:16 pm
Credit where its due,cjhsa ... why discourage the sort of thinking behind the success of Air America Radio?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:35 pm
doglover wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

As a volunteer for the Kerry campaign, I called almost 1,000 people who live in the tri-state area (MD, VA, DE) from Maryland. Most likely, the person who called you was not a paid employee of the Kerry campaign, but a volunteer. I would think that Canadian citizens would like George Bush elected out of office as much as half the American population does and plenty of them are willing to volunteer for such a cause. Very Happy

I suspect that the volunteer calling from Canada (if that's who it was) was an American citizen. I know that there are Democrat and Republican party get-togethers in Toronto quite regularly. Lots of American citizens living and working here. There's always a big whoop-di-do when the U.S. elections come up - they do their campaigning and make sure their votes are counted.

We've got enough of our own politics here - don't need to volunteer to get involved in U.S. politics. (ours is more interesting anyway - we have an actual RANGE of options)
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 05:47 pm
BBB,

I thought you might enjoy this one:

U.S. President's tour bus manufactured in Canada

Quote:
Maumee, Ohio -- British Prime Minister Tony Blair, leading the commission, is pushing an "international financing facility" that would see donor countries push their aid budgets forward so that most of the next 10 years' money is spent right away. France is proposing a third option, an international tax to fund aid programs. U.S. President George W. Bush rode across Ohio this week in a bus emblazoned, "Yes, America can."

It turns out the bus was made in St. Claire, Que.

The front of the bus bore another label: Prevost Car, jointly owned by Sweden's Volvo and Britain's Henly's Group PLC and manufactured in Canada. AP
0 Replies