Miller

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 05:57 am
If an American buys a puppy from a breeder in Canada, will that puppy have to be quarantined before admission to the US? Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,016 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:26 am
I believe the answer is no, if you have all of the ordinary vaccination paperwork. My sweetiepie has crossed the border with her dogs on more than one occassion (the ones' you see in my avatar picture), and they simply wish to see the vaccination certificates, and to observe the dogs for a moment for outward signs of disease. She's never had a problem, and i'd suspect if you have your paperwork up to date, it shouldn't be a problem.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 10:41 am
Miller, any reputable breeder here will be able to make sure all the legalities are taken care of. In Canada, as in the U.S., I would not recommend buying from any breeder unless you've been in the breeder's home. In fact, the best breeders won't sell to you unless you've done a home visit with them.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 11:09 am
U.S. Custom Regulations:

Quote:
Domestic dogs must be free of evidence of diseases communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry. If the animal is not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at the owner's expense.

Dogs must be vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days before entering the United States. This requirement does not apply, however, to puppies less than three months of age or to dogs originating or located for at least six months in areas designated by the U.S. Public Health Service as being rabies-free.

The following procedures pertain to dogs arriving from areas that are not free of rabies:

A valid rabies vaccination certificate should accompany the animal. This certificate should be in English or be accompanied by a translation. It should identify the animal, the dates of vaccination and expiration, and be signed by a licensed veterinarian. If no expiration date is specified, the certificate is acceptable if the date of vaccination is no more than 12 months before the date of arrival.

If a vaccination has not been performed, or if the certificate is not valid, the animal may be admitted if it is confined immediately upon arrival at a place of the owner's choosing. The dog must be vaccinated within four days after arrival at the final destination, but no more than 10 days after arrival at the port of entry. The animal must remain in confinement for at least 30 days after being vaccinated.

If the vaccination was performed less than 30 days before arrival, the animal may be admitted but must be confined at a place of the owner's choosing until at least 30 days have passed since the vaccination.

Young puppies must be confined at a place of the owner's choosing until they are three months old, then they must be vaccinated. They must remain in confinement for 30 days.

Dogs that arrive in Hawaii or Guam, both of which are free of rabies, are subject to the state's or territory's quarantine requirements, in addition to whatever other Public Health Service requirements, above, apply.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 11:13 am
What do you call to a dog with no legs ?

It doesn't matter what you call it ,it still isn't going to come.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 01:00 pm
To all:

Thank you for the information.
0 Replies