Best or worst of 2002

au1929

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 03:23 pm
Now that 2002 is about to close out. What in your opinion is the most significant occurrence of the year?Best or worst.
Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,224 • Replies: 9
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 04:28 pm
Worst: the sniper attacks. My brother and his family were way too close to the action. Very, very frightening for them and from this end, as we'd call them every day during the crisis and try to gauge their panic levels.

Best: two things that are gonna come out as negative.
(1) Al Gore saying he won't run for President in 2004. It seems to be an intelligent decision and it opens up the field for others. The Democratic party won't have to feel beholden and 2004 will not have to be run as an instant replay of 2000. I believe this will do Gore good, as it will the country. I don't see him as being gone from the scene, just taking a break. Wise choice.
(2) The ouster of Trent Lott as Senate Majority Leader. Unfortunately, Lott himself dragged this out, but it came to a satisfactory conclusion with the choice of Bill Frist. Frist is well-respected and can work well with the White House. And, he didn't seem to be itching for the job, like Don (always a bridesmaid, never a bride) Nickels. Plus, it showed, once again, that attitudes toward race really do matter, and continue to matter. Which I think is a good thing.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 04:37 pm
Not THE most significant event of the year, I suppose, but one that gladdened my heart: Yesterday I read that sanctuaries had been created in China to rescue the beautiful, big black bears that were being "farmed" & "milked" for their bile (alternative medicine!) in shocking conditions.
The horror & misery these poor creatures endured is almost too horrible to contemplate ... (The things that humans do!!!) Anyway, it was one of the most heartening pieces of news I'd read in a long time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 04:49 pm
well, truly not the best, but not quite the worst either ... but it did lead to a game

... link to ... story leading to Michael Jackson baby drop game ...

... hopefully the link to the game ...

horridly fun
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 04:55 pm
ehBeth

That was fun!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 05:00 pm
To me the continued terrorist attacks and killing of innocents is the worst.
The best might be that George to this point has curbed his cowboy instincts and allowed for inspections rather than a preemptive attack upon Iraq. At least not yet.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 05:01 pm
au

Yes ... The Bali bombings were truly distressing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 05:30 pm
Worst - wars and rumours of wars and the whole degeneration of the
international situation - plus the continued bad interment policy towards those who have not been recognized as refugees in my country.

Best? A little personal one for me - being able to pioneer the use of a very different way of working (via addressing attachment issues in a very lovely and effective way) in the team I work with. This approach has my colleagues so excited that we have been able to wangle money for advanced training and supervision to commence in the new year and we then hope to be able to evaluate the approach formally - which is a wonderful thing for the people who developed it, as well.

So far, it has been a wonderful thing for our clients and for us...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 05:43 pm
Top stories of the year voted by Associated Press
 Even with the outcome unknown, the threat of war and demand for disarmament directed at Iraq’s Saddam Hussein riveted the world’s attention in 2002. The ultimatums from the U.S. government and the U.N. Security Council were voted the top story of year in The Associated Press’ annual survey of its American members.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/850241.asp?0si=-
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 05:58 pm
Laughing The Best of The Best = ABLE2KNOW.COM
0 Replies