Chance to move from Ohio to either London or Netherlands

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 09:49 am
I'd stick with England. Dutch is basically a dead language and the effort needed to learn it would be better spent on some other endeavor.
Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 10:06 am
How can you call a language which is spoken by close to 23 million basically a dead language?
Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 12:01 pm
Don't take any notice, saab. Gunga's like that.

Personally, I quote like living for a while somewhere where they speak a different language, as it forces the brain to work a bit harder which is never a bad thing and helps keep you young.

If they learn Dutch while they're over in Europe, it will mean that they will be able to communicate with 20+ million more human beans. All good, I say.
0 Replies
Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 12:13 pm
I don't want to worry you, kjm, but Chertsey is currently under a severe flood warning from the nearly overflowing Thames and a few million gallons of rain in recent days.
The South of Britain has had record rain levels....and records started in the mid 1700's!

The whole stretch of the Thames from Windsor right down to Chertsey is at risk of overflow at the moment, with more heavy rain forecast.
If you check out the BBC weather website and our news website, you will see what we've been squelching about in since about Christmas.

I live about twenty yards ( thankfully uphill) from a 180 acre park, and have just come back from walking the dog. The area just inside the main entrance now resembles a big lake. We actually had swans swimming about there today. Very scenic and quite a novelty, but the neighbours who actually border the park are currently sandbagging the airbricks round the bottom of their houses.

If you DO come to look around and rent/buy somewhere, it would be wise to think about getting somewhere that is at least twenty feet above river level. There's no major emergency where we are ( not like the poor devils down in Somerset), but there's enough unusual water level to make one think about ever living on a flood plain in future.

I'm now going to find some dry socks and dig out the dog's towel, before he shakes himself all over the living room.

0 Replies
Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 08:55 am

As I continue to research our possible move I have come across some information that I am trying to figure out and am hoping that maybe you have some experience with this and can give me a much needed real answer as you seem to be quite knowledgeable. Or maybe another poster will know??

In addition to my 17 year old I also have a 20 year old. He was in college for a year and a half but dropped out as he, quite frankly, was never a great student and he felt college life wasn't for him at this time. So here is my dilemma, from what I have found it looks like if my husband moves there for work, I move as a spouse and my daughter moves as a student that my 20 year old would not be able to join us as he doesn't have a job lined up so can't get a company to sponsor him, nor is he considered a dependent as he is over 18, and he is also not a student. Upon further research there looks like there is a VAF4A application that would allow him to live with us for 5 years as my husband would be "settled" in UK with his job and can prove we could pay my son's living expenses for a period of up to 5 years. We would also have to acknowledge that he would not be able to use the free NHS system, which again we could probably work into our Expat pkg as something that would need to be covered.

So my question is: would this be something that is easy to do and once there could he work if he found a job or would he be unable to get a work visa the whole time we live there?

At this point maybe I should start another thread to see if anyone knows about this particular application and its conditions?

Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated!

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 09:47 am

Never having to go through this malarkey, to be honest I don't have a clue at this time.
I know our Home Office (immigration, visas, etc) have really tightened up on all these things over the past five years, and I think you really need advice from someone who actually works within the system, rather than getting possibly wrong info from well intentioned people who may inadvertantly steer you up the wrong alley.

Here is a list of all our consulates around the USA, and I'm sure that someone in your local (well, as local as possible) consulate will be able to either give you the answer or at least supply you with a website where you can ask the question to experts in the matter.

If I find snything else, I'll bring it straight here. Any other A2K Brits have an idea or two?

0 Replies
Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 12:32 pm
Go to England. The area Lordy's talking about is just lovely, and pretty convenient.
You can probably more or less speak the language, and, if you struggle, try shouting and someone may care to help!
Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 02:46 pm
Thank you, margo......but I'm afraid that if you check most of that area at the moment, they have mild to severe flooding going on, with sandbags being deployed and even Army boys on standby to lift old grannies to safety.

It happens every 30 years or so.

Keep calm and try not to squelch.
Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 12:06 pm
I'm glad you told me about the Chertsey flooding, that is very valuable information if we were to rent/purchase a house in the area. Hopefully my other issue will resolve itself and we can still accept the job.
0 Replies

Related Topics

THE BRITISH THREAD II - Discussion by jespah
FOLLOWING THE EUROPEAN UNION - Discussion by Mapleleaf
The United Kingdom's bye bye to Europe - Discussion by Walter Hinteler
Sinti and Roma: History repeating - Discussion by Walter Hinteler
[B]THE RED ROSE COUNTY[/B] - Discussion by Mathos
Leaving today for Europe - Discussion by cicerone imposter
So you think you know Europe? - Discussion by nimh
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/17/2024 at 03:19:55