Who here still subscribes to a physical newspaper?

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 23 Jan, 2014 04:51 pm
I subscribe to the Sunday Times.
ossobuco

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 12:26 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
A favorite I still read from time to time is the North Coast Journal in my old area. - but now I read it from afar.
http://www.northcoastjournal.com/
Long may they print.

Meantime, the major newspaper, the Times Standard around there, only lets me check a post five times a month. Who do they think they are? I still care about many people there.

I am still interested in the comings and goings in that area and am monetarily shut out from reading, much less commenting.

ossobuco

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 12:37 am
@ossobuco,
Meantime, I'm mainly from Venice, and venice lets past venice people talk.

http://www.yovenice.com/
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 12:43 pm
In the long ago past, there were three newspapers delivered to our house every day, The Manchester Herald, The Hartford Times and The Hartford Courant, except Sundays when the Herald and Times didn't publish. I devoured all three, The Courant over breakfast and The Times and The Herald in the afternoon. When I was 12 I started throwing routes for both the Times and the Herald. I got in trouble because I liked to read both papers BEFORE I delivered my route. (Hah. I loved the news)

Fast forward to adulthood, living in Tulsa : We got the Tulsa World at our door and (when times were rough) I threw a Tulsa World route to make ends meet. Tried to read one at least five times a week.

Zoom: Now in NYC for nineteen years, subscribed a few times to the New York Times, especially like their weekender deal. We used to like to go to breakfast somewhere and page through the pages, trading sections as we went.
Those days are gone.
I read the New York Times on line, I have since about 2000 when they first started offering an on-line publication. When I'm going somewhere on the train, I'll buy one from a vendor, read it through and maybe do the Crossword on the way home.
(I usally buy myself a gift every year about now: http://img1.imagesbn.com/p/9781449430504_p0_v17_s260x420.JPGhttp://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/2014-new-york-times-crossword-puzzles-day-to-day-calendar-the-the-new-york-times/1114335290?ean=9781449430504&itm=1&usri=9781449430504
The puzzles are a bit smaller than they are in the paper, but just as fun.

I bought a New York Daily News today because I wanted to read their ranting about deporting Justin Bieber. ..... Ah, what a world.

~~
I should note that among the fifty apartments in my building about seven get a daily, either the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal.

Joe(So, the answer to the OP, is no. heh)Nation

saab

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 12:54 pm
@Joe Nation,
Just like at my home. We got the local paper, a Gothenburg Paper and in the noon mail a Danish Paper. All daily papers.
I can´t get used to breakfast without a paper. Reading online is not the same. That is something I do after breakfast.
Often you have to subscribe to the papers online to read the best articles and I still have not made up my mind which one I want to subscribe to. I look at three every day sometimes four.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:12 pm
In my newspaper heyday, I subscribed to the LA Times and the New York Times and, for a couple of years, the Washington Post. Now all three have paywalls and I end up with paywall anxiety (are my 15, 10, 20 in that order allotted clicks all used up now?)

I dearly miss the NYT and LAT Sunday crossword puzzles (I'm an ink person) and have never gotten far into trying online crossword puzzles. I like to see the whole puzzle at once, and last time I looked online, couldn't find a site that showed the whole thing... presumably a space limitation.

Now my main online paper is The Guardian (no paywall) and I've, in my news bookmarks, something like thirty others for when I'm in a major reading mode.

edit - I also read the San Francisco Chronicle online every day. They have a paywall too, but their ordinary news is still available sans paying, albeit a fairly fast read.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:30 pm
Speaking of reading on-line, I go to this website daily to keep up with the news from the country of my birth. I read it in Latvian, but there's an English translation available (so I understand). Check it out.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:53 pm
I pick up a paper about twice a week purely for something to read when i'm having a meal.
I get all the news from TV anyway.
And I glance at the national newspaper headlines on line every day-
http://www.thepaperboy.com/uk/front-pages.cfm
0 Replies

saab

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 02:24 pm
http://jyllands-posten.dk/
http://www.svd.se/
http://hallandsposten.se/
ww.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

These are the ones I like to look at. online
I can only handle Danish crosswords and I get now and then crosswords magazines from Denmark. I don´t do them in a newspaper.
0 Replies

Foofie

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 03:36 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

I have never subscribed to a newspaper. For myself there was always something a little more personal and enjoyable to going out to buy it on my own. A few seconds of outdoors air, a second or two interacting with the vendor and occasionally the purchase of some item such as a lighter, pack of cigarettes, a magazine, a roll of Lifesavers.

Plus, you livened up the street for other pedestrians. The entire scene is a rhapsody - pavement, traffic, people, dogs, crosswalks, noise.
0 Replies

vonny

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 04:00 pm
@boomerang,
Only to the Sunday Times nowadays.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Fri 24 Jan, 2014 05:59 pm
I look at this online weather map nearly every day
http://www.xcweather.co.uk/
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 12:07 am
Not actually newspapers but I also subscribe to the physical National Review and Atlantic Monthly.
hawkeye10

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 12:36 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Good point...I was reading every issue of Foriegn Affairs long after I gave up newspapers, and still read Atlantic Monthly and Vanity Fair regularly. I read the Economist somewhat reqularly. I STILL really like print on paper, and would not have given up on newspapers had they not given up on me first. Gannett was already gutting my hometown paper by 1975 (which my dad worked for) not long after they bought it, having decided that all they needed was a wrapper for the classified ads, which was where almost all of the profits came from. Craigslist took care of that, and now it is by by for almost all newspapers.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 12:51 am
@hawkeye10,
I also subscribe to Vanity Fair, but I hestitate to equate that magazine, in any way, with a newspaper.

In a similar vein...I also subscribe to Esquire and GQ, but I never read any of their ridiculous political articles. It would be the equivalent of eating styrofoam.

Ditto Rolling Stone.

I couldn't stand their pretentious tripe when all they wrote about was music, but since they have expanded to include things political, I wouldn't wipe my ass with the rag.
hawkeye10

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 01:03 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I dont agree, I think that some of the best journalism that we have right now runs through these mags. Where else are you going to find in depth analysis and reporting on the important topics of the day by smart people who have taken some time to study the subject? Online sometimes, if you wade through enough crap to find it.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 01:30 am
@hawkeye10,
GQ, Esquire and Rolling Stone?

You've got to be kidding.
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 27 Jan, 2014 12:50 am
For many years I managed a crew of newspaper subscription salespeople. I sold many a subscription personally while standing in front of a local supermarket or hawking at a fair. Good sellers did and still do average over $50 per hour, as paid subscriptions are the gauge by which newspapers receive advertising revenue.

I currently subscribe to my county local on a special offer they presented. When it expires, I may go back to the Seattle Times, on whatever deal they may offer. I, like many of the folks who still read, just can't resist the feel of newsprint.
0 Replies

JamesShawn234

Mon 27 Jan, 2014 02:59 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I am still subscribed to our daily newspaper as all my oldies and grans read those every morning.
0 Replies

hingehead

Mon 27 Jan, 2014 07:40 am
@boomerang,
I've been 'acquiring' the guardian weekly since the mid 90s. In Canberra my Saturday ritual was to walk to the newsagent grab a copy and read it over breakfast in one of dickson's cafes. Since moving to cairns I get it home delivered. I've toyed with subscribing directly, but because the use Australia Post it arrives much later than the newsagents get it.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/30/2024 at 08:58:35