archeological find

Rabia

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 12:20 pm
How and who am I supposed to report to if i find an archeological artifact?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,717 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Jack of Hearts

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 12:23 pm
@Rabia,
I would imagine you should phone, or better yet, Skype a Natural Museum or a large University.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 12:39 pm
@Rabia,
Assuming you live in the US, you could contact the Department of Archives and History of your state.

Not very difficult to get that information..
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 12:44 pm
@Rabia,
What did you find?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 12:44 pm
What type of artifact is it anyway?
I found a 1797 George III coin in an old medieval english moat on my way home from school 50 years ago and it's been a family heirloom ever since, we never reported the find, why should we?..Wink
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 02:24 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

What type of artifact is it anyway?
I found a 1797 George III coin in an old medieval english moat on my way home from school 50 years ago and it's been a family heirloom ever since, we never reported the find, why should we?..Wink

Wow. That was a great find, Romeo. I guess that could also be of value here on this side of the pond...considering the monarch depicted.

My great coin from England is a passion penny. I used to keep that thing accessible always...but for some reason, I misplaced it a few years ago...and have not been able to find it. It IS somewhere in the house though...and eventually will show up.

As I remember it, there are not many of them still around...almost all in the hands of private collectors. Not valuable at all (there were many of that year)...but not too plentiful either.
0 Replies