oldies but goodies

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 10:25 pm
For the last 40 yrs. or so,there always was a contest for the most popular songs of all time. Year in and year out the same 2 songs always came in first and second--"In the still of the night" by the 5 satins and "Earth Angel" by the Penquins, my two favorite songs from my pre-teen years. It always amazed me that despite all the music in the last 50 yrs. these oldies but goodies still managed to top all contenders, including the Beatles Rolling stones & etc. What is the secret of their eternal popularity? P.S. Recently a doo-op station that played the old rock and roll went off the air after 30 yrs.. I hope that this does not signal the end of the music that was the background of our lives.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,117 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 10:31 pm
Unchained Melody - The Righteous Bros.
In Dreams - Roy Orbison
Can't Help Falling in Love - Elvis

No, I don't think our music will ever fade away.

There are 2 oldies stations I listen to, and they're going strong.

I don't think you have a worry in the world:)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 10:44 pm
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 10:01 am
Golden oldies. That evokes different memories in different people. It all depends on your age. To me golden oldies refers to the ballads of the 40's and very early 50's. As for good music there is nothing to compare to the big band era.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 10:32 am
The oldies song that consistently copped #1 in Houston was BLUEBERRY HILL, but the station that conducted the poll has gone to r&r heaven now. The only stations left to play oldies are one that is stuck on Motown and Dianna Ross and one that plays music from the inception of recorded music to THE CHERRY POPPIN DADDIES. It plays more pop, such as Sinatra and Tony Bennet possibly than the other kinds.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 10:51 am
althought this song does not really seem to fit in anywhere, i believe in was '59 or '60 when i was in high school that "Take Five" by Dave Brubeck came out.i thought then as i do now it was certainly the grestest piece of pop/jazz music i ever heard.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 10:53 am
dyslexia
I bought that album to play on my brand new stereo. It was and still is one truly great piece of music. At the same time I bought Ray Charles' GENIUS + SOUL = JAZZ. Another great listen.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 01:27 pm
I just bought Brubeck's "Time Out" on CD! My husband's vinyl is all scratched and we ran across it at Best Buys last Friday. I hadn't heard it in decades. Geez, it sounded good. But I think bz was talking about doo-wops. The Penguins, The Five Satins, The Moonglows and the Flamingoes, Dion and the Belmonts...
"I Only Have Eyes for You." That's still one of the most romantic songs I've ever heard.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 07:37 pm
I don't normally care for Christmas music (go figure), but I heard Stevie Nicks singing Silent Night on the car radio and it gave me goose bumps it was so beautiful! I've heard it before, it's not new, but I guess I appreciated it this year.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 07:47 pm
dyslexia, I agree. In the late 70s I was a waitress at the Marriot Hotel in Providence and they had a strict rule about "service" staff not bugging celebrities when they stayed there. "No asking for autographs!" , they barked at us. The joke of it was, management had no idea who Dave Brubeck was. So when he was seated in my section, not only was I able to get his autograph, but I had a very pleasant conversation with him as well. His whole family travelled with him, and I remember his and his wife's face lit up when his son showed up at the breakfast table. Apparently, he wasn't an early riser.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 08:38 pm
wow
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 08:40 pm
anyone here remember the Don Shirley Trio, had a great jazz single with "Water Boy"?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 10:55 pm
When I hear the term, Oldies But Goodies, I think of rock music from its inception through the first few years of the 70s. I am old enough to recall a time when rock did not exist. When Bill Haley released See Ya Later Aligator and then Rock Around the Clock, I did not know it was rock 'n' roll. To me it was fun novelty music, like Homer and Jethro and Spike Jones. Then, as I sat on the school bus one day, I heard Rock 'n' Roll Waltz. Pretty inoccuous stuff today, but, to my ears totally foreign. I had heard a girl remark that it was rock 'n' roll. It seemed to be designed for black audiences, with the rythm and blues band kind of jazzed up or something. I thought I should not enjoy it. That same week my older brother asked Mom if he could listen to the Lucky Lager Dance Time program on the radio. Mom had always listened to strictly country, but she said it was okay. All of a sudden we were inundated with Elvis, Frankie Lymon, Fats Domino, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Gene Vincent and the Platters, to name a few. Shirley and Lee, Clyde McPhatter. Mom never went back to country and I forgot to have any reservations about it. I still collect that music and listen to it frequently.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 08:09 am
There is a CD of old classics recently released by Rod Stewart. Includes some of the following
"I'll be seeing you"
"They can't take that away from me"
"These foolish things"
"Moonglow""
"Thevery thought of you"
And ten others. Those are the songs I think of when we speak of golden oldies.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 06:04 pm
oldies and goldies. thousands of 'em. my current playlist on the PC

Politician by Cream
Badge by Cream
Crossroads by Cream
Alabama by Neil Young
Every Picture Tells A Story by Rod Stewart
I'm Losing You by Rod Stewart
Natural Born Bugie by Humble Pie
Living Loving Maid by Led Zeppelin
Need Your Love So Bad by Fleetwood Mac
I'm Going Upstairs by John Lee Hooker
Boom Boom by John Lee Hooker
Hoochie Coochie Man by Muddy Waters
All Along The Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix
I Put A Spell On You by Screaming Jay Hawkins
When My Left Eye Jumps by Chicken Shack
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 06:06 pm
Welcome, oak! :-D
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 02:45 pm
"Those Oldies But Goodies Remind Me of You". Razz
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 02:46 pm
"Smoke Gets In You Eyes"...written by a Jesuit priest. Very Happy

"Hello Dolly"

"Blue Jean Queen"

"A Guy Named Sue"

"Picnic"

"Yello Ribbon"
0 Replies

jimnass

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 09:30 am
When i think of oldies but goodies...
When i think of oldies but goodies, i think of the mid-50s to the mid to late 60's.

Starting with Bill haley and the comets, and those great doo-wop songs of the 50's. the Five Satins and the Penguins, of course, but also the Rays, the flamingos, the Earls, etc. Then on into the 60's with Connie Francis, Bobby Darin, the Four Seasons, the Temptations, the Supremes...on and on...

Its interesting to note that here in NYC, when WCBS-FM started playing "newer" music, their ratings have dropped and dropped - i'm not sure if they will go back to their original format or not.
0 Replies

artist

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 10:54 am
first wages - first record - 'My Boy Lollipop'
Those were the days!
Seriously, though, I feel privalidged (?) to have been a teen in the late 50's - We had it all. Ballads,rock-n-roll, country - and the big bands were still in the dancehalls.
Having said that, there's some really good music around today too.
0 Replies