My Children's Book Idea - What do you think?

Thu 9 Jan, 2014 01:50 pm
Hi guys,

I'm an artist & mainly do children's art (mostly animals). I've been itching to create my own children's book for awhile now, and I think I'm ready to take the plunge. I was wondering if I could get your thoughts on my children's book idea?

I am still not completely sure of the title, but I'm thinking of titling it "On the Inside" or "Special on the Inside" or "Special on the Outside, Special on the Inside" (which I think describes the book the best, but seems too long?).

The book would be about the different animals of the forest - how they are all different, but special, and they embrace their differences. For example, "Bear is the biggest animal in the whole forest. On the inside, he’s warm and fuzzy. He gives the best hugs!"

I want to try to include things that kids get made fun of for, like big ears, big teeth, being small, etc. e.g., "Bunny has big, floppy ears. They help him to be a good listener. All the other animals of the forest come to him with their worries, fears, hopes, and dreams."

So, that's my idea. I have a rough draft written up - I have 11 animals so far. But before I get too far with it, I wanted to get some feedback on the idea.

Thanks so much!
Heather

Linu

Sun 6 Apr, 2014 01:14 am
@heathercashart,
Hi Heather
I think you should choose a better name for your book.
Linu
0 Replies

jespah

Sun 6 Apr, 2014 08:31 am
@heathercashart,
I will speak to you as a writer.

Don't crowdsource your ideas. Most book ideas are fine; it's in the execution that they are proven to be 'good' or 'bad'. Plus unfocused market research (which you seem to be attempting here) is worse than no market research. What can this group tell you? These people are not the market (for the most part) for kids' books.

If you absolutely feel the need to request feedback prior to writing, which I don't recommend at all, BTW (and what will you do if people tell you to change this, that, or the other thing? If you won't change no matter what, then why do the research? If you will change, then why write? You're just looking for validation. Here ya go. Here's your validation), then go to the actual market for children's books. Go to mothers' groups and nursing homes and talk to grandparents. Even try fathers' rights groups. But random large Internet forae are not a good way to perform market research.
0 Replies

saab

Sun 6 Apr, 2014 09:13 am
I read a lot and I also enjoy children´s books.
I like fairy tales and stories with fantasy.
I like books about children with lots of ideas and often mischivious but not nasty. Astrid Lindgren is a good example as author.
I like factual books where children can learn about something they are interested in.
I am sorry to say I would never buy nor read your type of book. Factural animals - not in a fairytale - who gets human qualities I never liked.
A rabbit does not listen - a rabbit hears. That is certainly interesting enough.
You can make a beautiful illustration with text about that.
You might give someone a bear hug - but beware if a bear hugs you.
Others might like it - so go ahead and good luck with your idea.
0 Replies

swilliams87

Mon 21 Apr, 2014 10:31 pm
@heathercashart,
Hello Heather,
I like your ideas about the funny things that children like..
I think you can do better with the name.. something hat highlights the main punch of your story..
0 Replies

darrell0574

Sun 24 Jul, 2016 02:48 pm
@heathercashart,
To get good discount on children's books you should used our officials voucher codes and discount codes.You can save good amount of money on these books by using our voucher codes.
jespah

Sun 24 Jul, 2016 05:17 pm
@darrell0574,
Aren't you just kicking yourself for forgetting the link?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 24 Jul, 2016 05:30 pm
I agree with jespah.
0 Replies