Texas schools -- is this normal?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 12:21 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

K discussed with the counselor that her daughter's grades have been falling over the year and that she seemed uninterested in going to school.

I'm not really understanding why M's school wouldn't be trying to figure out what's wrong with their own school instead of immediately suggesting transfer. Is it common to just "pass the buck" so to speak?

You're assuming there is something wrong with the school because your niece's daughter is not doing well?

Did the counselor tell your neice what he thought the problem was and how the charter school was better equipped to deal with it?
boomerang

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 07:27 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
No, I'm saying there's something wrong at school for this student and I'm curious about why they'd just recommend transferring instead of trying to find out what's going on.

As far as I know they did not say why they thought the charter school would be a good move.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2014 11:20 am
@boomerang,
My experiences with school administrators, as respect myself and my children, has not been wonderful, but maybe, in this case, they have given it sufficent thought. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they didn't, but if your neice hasn't demanded that they answer these questions she should, and if they don't have an answer, she should go up the chain of command demanding them.

If this was a case of a school just wanting to dump a student with whom they are having problems, it's not one where the student should be anyway. If your neice doesn't move her daughter to the charter school they recommend, she should consider somewhere else.

I would suggest that she visit the charter school though and talk to administrators and teachers, rather than assuming it's not the right place for her daughter because of some internet reasearch alone.

By the way this sort of thing happens in school throughout the country. Maybe not in terms of recommending transfer to a charter school, but in not be willing to address the specific needs of a problem student. It's not just Texas.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2014 10:00 am
@boomerang,
Interesting article and discussion on this topic on Slashdot today:

http://news.slashdot.org/story/14/01/13/1326251/how-good-are-charter-schools-for-the-public-school-system
boomerang

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2014 11:18 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
M is totally not a "problem student". She's very introspective and quiet. I doubt the kid has ever caused any disruption, anywhere. She's a student with a problem, not a problem student.

The whole issue came to light on the Monday after Christmas break. By Wednesday they were recommending a transfer. That doesn't sound like there was time for "sufficient thought".

She has transferred to the charter and starts there today. I hope she likes it. I'm keeping my mouth mostly shut regarding my opinion of charter schools when talking to the Texas branch of my family. I've told them a few things they should watch out for.

I know it happens all over the country. I had a terrible time with Mo's old school. It was a 5 year battle.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2014 11:20 am
@DrewDad,
Thanks for the link!

I remember reading an article a couple of years ago about how all the "edu-preneurs" send their kids to Waldorf and Sudbury type schools.

Edit: here is one such article -- http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/23/technology/at-waldorf-school-in-silicon-valley-technology-can-wait.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
0 Replies