Can someone help me with me finally being conscious about my future?

Chloe07

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 08:47 am
So... While I was randomly browsing through the web, something hit me, I have no skills to offer to lead a happy, successful, and financially stable life. I have zero hobbies or skills, my school grades are less than average (My GPA being 3.21 over 5), I have never participated in nor won anything worth mentioning. What am I to do with my life? Should I start having a bunch of tutors or lessons to get skills and improve my grade? Should I participate in after school activities, contests, competitions, workshops, etc? What should I do?!

View best answer, chosen by Chloe07
jespah
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 09:04 am
@Chloe07,
Having zero idea of your age is not helping us here. After all, some things are easier to fix or take longer.

Now, I'll spin the big wheel and assume you're 16 and not out of High School yet. Should you improve your grades? Absolutely. A college degree - even a two-year one - is generally needed in order to make any sort of serious $$. You may feel that that's overly mercenary, but no matter what you do with your life, you will still need to pay bills. Your landlord will not care if you're saving the whales; he just wants his check every month.

As for activities, it's hard to say. Don't just go into something because it sounds like a good idea; go into it because it interests you. Does nothing interest you? That's possible, but recognize that it can also be a sign of depression, to not be interested in the world around you. So consider a full physical (it can't hurt) to rule that out.

But understand that if your school only offers basket weaving and soapbox derby, and you hate both, then the problem is in a lack of meaningful choices, and not in you.

Think of the things that give you pleasure, whatever they are. Go general on this. Is it research? Writing? Sports? Art? Math? Cooking? Music? Teaching a skill to someone else? Nature?

Think about the kinds of careers that use those preferred skills/actions more than other careers do. If you love nature, consider becoming a park ranger, or even an archaeologist. Research? What about biology or chemistry? Animals? How about everything from dog grooming to veterinary medicine?

See where I'm going with this?
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 09:14 am
What are you interests? THAT will lead you to a future.
(If you don't have any interests, perhaps you are in a depression - or are a sulking teen)
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 11:11 am
Quote:
Chloe said: I have no skills to offer to lead a happy, successful, and financially stable life.

Just make up your mind to be the best wife and mother in the world, you don't need grades and cash to do that..Smile
Even if a lousy wife and mother has got excellent grades and a well-paid job, she's still a lousy wife and mother.
0 Replies

Chloe07

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 09:46 pm
@jespah,
I recently just turned 15, and I'm currently in my sophomore year.

A college degree, I know is a must, but I'm not sure in which subject I should major in...

And yes, I can see what you're going with!

I think I might go with either Art, cooking, music, nature or writing for now. I don't think I can't do math because I suck terribly in it.

So If I'm more interested in art, cooking, music, nature or writing I can try being an Artist, Chef, Musician, Archeologist (there are no park rangers in my country), or Journalist?

My school has cooking, so I'll take that, I do believe they also have creative writing and an art club, I'll those two as well!

However, what about tutors and lessons? I've heard that's a good way to gain skills and a grade improvement? Even though they're quite expensive?
Chloe07

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 09:49 pm
@PUNKEY,
I suppose art, music, writing, nature, or cooking. I'm interested in them although I've never really tried to strive to be great in them until now I suppose.
0 Replies

Eliza6826

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 03:01 am
@Chloe07,
Hey, you can be very excellent. To me,excellence do not have any standard. excellence comes from your self-judgment.

I guess you have a comparison among peers, but why? I think you should have the idea that no one can replace you in the world, just be your self .

Just happy and do something you think is useful. success will come to you unexpectedly.

Come on
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 10:25 am
@Chloe07,
It's funny that I guessed 16. Dang, I should go play the lottery. And thank you for the ribbon. Smile

True story - I started college majoring in Biology, then switched to Math. My undergrad degree ended up being in Philosophy, and I went to Law School. And I haven't practiced law in over 20 years. I currently work in IT, and am an aspiring author.

So, well, what I was 36 years ago (which is when I was 15 - egad, time flies) is not what I am now. I continue to find it weird that our society pushes people to somehow know what will make them happy for the following 40 - 60 or so years.

You have no idea. And that is perfectly all right. You will change, as will the world. Hell, when I was your age (now I really sound like a fogey), there was no Internet, and most people barely owned electric typewriters, let alone computers.

My suggestion to you is to worry a lot less about majors now. You will likely change and that is so perfectly acceptable that your college counselor is going to practically expect it from you. So don't sweat that. This is a decision that need not be made today. And, if you end up going to graduate or professional school, it won't matter much at all. Your grades will matter considerably more.

There are tons of other things to do - I barely listed a few. Here's a site which lists a bunch - http://www.onetonline.org/ I realize that it's American, but the career clusters searches are really good. So, for example, let's look at the arts - http://www.onetonline.org/find/career?c=3&g=Go They list everything from dancers to writers to broadcast technicians.

You can also take a look at your grades for, say, the last 3 years or so. What are you good in? What are you terrible at (I see you mentioned Math; I hear that)? Being interested in, say, physics, but lousy in math means that you're digging a deep hole for yourself. It's not impossible to get out of it but it does make your life tougher. It also makes it tougher to get good grades, as math is foundational for physics. For someone who wants to be a musician, they need to understand music theory, they need to be committed to practice, etc. They often need (or should) be physically fit, as those jobs can end up being rather physically demanding. Even people who sit in an orchestra have to sit there for a long time, at times.

As for tutoring, since you already know your weakness (math), it's probably a good idea. Find yourself someone who will challenge you and you will enjoy working with. It may take a few tries, and that's all right. But if you average at the C level and can get that grade up to a B, it'll open more doors for you.

Best of luck to you. Smile
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 01:24 pm
I left school without any big exam passes because I just wanted to get out of school as fast as possible, and I can honestly say that a lack of paper qualifications never held me back in the slightest in getting ordinary decently-paid jobs.
Sure, brain surgeons or high-flying execs etc need quals, but i never wanted to be one of them anyway..Smile
Lord Alan Sugar summed it up when he told his apprentices-
"You may look good on paper, but so do fish and chips. It's PERSONALITY that opens doors, and CHARACTER that keeps them open"

and I've always found that to be absolutely true. For example I once went for an interview as a hotel porter but the two bosses were so impressed with my goodnatured friendly confidence at the interview that they said "You're the sort we're after, can you be our new general manager instead of a porter?"..Smile
Germlat

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 01:29 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Yep..you're right and that's why you're single.
0 Replies

LiveLoughLaugh24

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 09:53 pm
@jespah,
I would suggest finding something interesting and exploring it. If you find that you feel curious and interested about it than continue to explore. After exploring continue to research and build your knowledge around the subject, skill, hobby or what ever it is you like. The more you know about or the better you can do it with practice the more you will enjoy it!
As for the future, baby steps can take you to the life you desire. Start with some books at Barnes & Noble on topics like Personal Development, Finance, etc

Hope this helps! Best of luck to you.
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 10:18 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
I left school without any big exam passes

Who would have thought.
0 Replies