Judge Upholds N.S.A.’s Bulk Collection of Data on Calls

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 06:13 am
This article regarding the latest decision on NSA's bulk collection of data on calls has been ruled constitutional by a different Federal judge in this morning's NYTimes. Not sure if it's been posted on a2k yet, and if so, I apologize for the redundancy.

Judge Upholds N.S.A.’s Bulk Collection of Data on Calls
By ADAM LIPTAK and MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT
The judge’s ruling was the latest contribution to a debate among courts and a presidential review group about how to balance security and privacy in the era of big data.

In just 11 days, the two judges and the presidential panel reached the opposite of consensus on every significant question before them, including the intelligence value of the program, the privacy interests at stake and how the Constitution figures in the analysis.

The latest decision, from Judge William H. Pauley III in New York, could not have been more different from one issued on Dec. 16 by Judge Richard J. Leon in Washington, who ruled that the program was “almost Orwellian” and probably unconstitutional.

The decision on Friday “is the exact opposite of Judge Leon’s in every way, substantively and rhetorically,” said Orin S. Kerr, a law professor at George Washington University. “It’s matter and antimatter.”

The case in New York was brought by the American Civil Liberties Union, which said it would appeal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/28/us/nsa-phone-surveillance-is-lawful-federal-judge-rules.html?hp&target=comments#commentsContainer
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,940 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 02:24 pm
Conversation already ongoing HERE.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 12:43 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Conversation already ongoing HERE.

Thanks. I realized that after I had posted it on the very day I read it in the NYTimes, the first article.....surely no one had seen it yet! Wow! Was I wrong.

This second decision declaring the NSA collection of bulk data might end up at the US Supreme Court.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 10:22 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Yup. I believe it's heading for SCOTUS.
0 Replies