Question re timing of Jesus birth

chai2

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2013 07:46 pm
I like Julia Sweeney. I was just looking at this video on YouTube and something she said around 1:20 really struck me, and stopped me dead in my tracks....

WHY, if God was sending himself, via a son down to save the world, would he do so at a time when there was no efficient communication system, and then not until decades later, when communication was no better, inspire people who never even knew the guy, write about it.

I feel God could have been much more efficient and clearer if he at least waited until the printing press was invented....not to mention telephone, TV, internet.....at least waited until a time when literacy was fairly common.

Oh, I get it....he was testing us....or something....yeah, that's the ticket.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 915 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 09:34 am
@chai2,
Every time I look at you I don't understand
Why you let the things you did get so out of your hand
You'd have managed better if you'd had it planned
Why'd you choose such a backward time and such a strange land?
If you'd come today you would have reached a whole nation
Israel in 4 BC had no mass communication
Don't you get me wrong - I only wanna know
chai2

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 09:39 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Super double plus cool frank.

Jesus Christ, superstar.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 09:40 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Super double plus cool frank.

Jesus Christ, superstar.

One of my very top favorites! Wink
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 06:54 pm
The timing has everything to do with the Roman Empire and its all-pervasive political power over almost all of Europe, North Africa and what we call the Near East. It has nothing whatever to do with God. The development of Christianity was spurred, in part at least, by the fact that a whole lot of very disparate cultures were now more or less united under one banner, i.e. the war eagle and the fasces of imperial Rome. Coincidentally, Judea was one of those outlying Roman territories and the creed of its population of Hebrews had evolved into a monotheistic belief, akin to an ancient Egyptian belief, which posited the coming of a Messiah who would bring the kingdom of Heaven down here to earth. Another coincidence -- one of the people to pick up on this whole notion of spreading the word of an obscure Rabbi from Nazareth beyond the borders of Judea happened to be a super-salesman. That was Saul of Tarsus, a Roman citizen of Jewish extraction whom we now call Saint Paul. The time and the place were ideal for a message of love, peace and redemption and Saul sold it well.

Please refer all other questions to Frank. Laughing
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 08:26 pm
The simple answer is: he didn't. There likely is no God. There very much likely iit a god that concerns itself with humans.
chai2

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 08:32 pm
@maporsche,
Nothing gets by you, does it? Very Happy
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 08:56 pm
@maporsche,
You make a good point, mp. Even if we stipulate that there is a God, why would we assume that the timing of that God's acts has anything at all to do with human technological development? What does the printing press or the internet have to do with a religious message delivered at a time and place where such a message stood a chance of being favorably received? Those who believe in such a God would say that things happen on God's terms, not according to human will.
chai2

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 09:14 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
But, why would a God with any type of intelligence choose such an ineffectual time?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 04:07 pm
@chai2,
Why not? If we posit an omniscient and omnipotent god, we have to also assume that the 'thought-processes' (for lack of a better term) are quite incomprehensible to the puny human mind.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 08:19 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Why not? If we posit an omniscient and omnipotent god, we have to also assume that the 'thought-processes' (for lack of a better term) are quite incomprehensible to the puny human mind.

Good point, Andrew,

In fact, even if it were a not especially omniscient or omnipotent god...might it not be that we humans are unable to comprehend its thought processes.

Suppose what we call "our universe" is just the design of some being in a megaverse...some chemistry student in a megaverse university...not omniscient or omnipotent...but pretty goddam powerful...

...we humans might be unable to comprehend its thought process.

Merry Christmas! To you and everyone.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 11:44 pm
Hypothetically, maybe a few thousand years is like the blink of an eye to him and he has motives you don't understand. If you were talking about extraterrestrial aliens, you would probably concede that they might have motives which you don't understand, so why is that less likely with an infinite intelligence? I should make it very clear that I think the whole thing is mostly fiction and am only playing the devil's advocate.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 03:49 am
MA has the best response here. Without Saul of Tarsus, this was an insignificant cult which was going nowhere and would likely have faded away in a generation or two.
0 Replies