What happens if I put red dye over brown hair?

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 08:42 pm
I had a lovely color that was a base of brown with heavy red tones in it, but it seems that the red tones have pretty much faded completely from the lengths of my hair and my roots are still very red-toned. Can I put a dark red dye over my hair (meaning a brown/red color, not straight up red) and match my roots and my lengths again?
I think it's doing this because I used to have bleached hair and everywhere it's been bleached has faded to brown and all my new growth from when it was bleached is still very red-toned. Would red even stick or should I go for a brown to even it out? If I have to strip all the dye and use a different dye, what color should I do to make it last and stick on every part of my hair?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,380 • Replies: 1
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 01:02 pm
@secretlyhipster,
Please don't attempt to do this yourself. Find a salon with a good colorist, all of the things that make sense when mixing paint, don't work when you deal with human hair. I'm speaking from personall experience, when I was younger I made some humiliating mistakes with hair color. I know there are chemicals that can even out the color, but you don't want to have reddish brown hair with an inch of green new growth. I know it can become a tad expensive, but it beats looking like you're getting ready for next Halloween.
0 Replies