Moral Relativity: Where moral values come from?

coldjoint

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 01:40 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
hateful bigotry against Muslims

That is just it. It is not hateful bigotry. It is factual information of Islams actions and doctrine. That you say it is bigotry is a cop out. The terror and sedition of the most bigoted supremacist religion is immoral you ******* crybaby.
Germlat

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 01:52 pm
@maxdancona,
No the question was about morals being relative. If morals are relative there is no good or evil. During the Holocaust it was that precise mentality that people used to convince themselves that the harm they caused was excused. Inflicting suffering, indulging in humiliating the helpless..etc. truth is self evident. So maybe you say it was due to their particular moral cultural evolution but this happened rapidly over an individual's lifetime. So maybe a person can feel like it is a relief of societal burden to kill a homeless person..he/she rationalizes it is also a way to give the homeless person a way of of misery. The problem here lies not only in lack of human empathy but in pride, conceit and being judge, jury and executioner. A certain arrogance, pride and selfishness in thinking ...to me is the definition of evil.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 01:52 pm
@coldjoint,
ColdJoint is sooooo cute when he get's upset.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 01:55 pm
@Germlat,
Quote:
During the Holocaust it was that precise mentality that people used to convince themselves that the harm they caused was excused

You have got to be kidding me! The Nazi's were not relativists. They believed that they had the truth and they brutally stamped out anyone who disagreed.

The Nazi's are an example of the most extreme form of absolutism.

(Why do they always have to bring up the Nazis?)

Germlat

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 01:56 pm
@coldjoint,
I think simply because an action is committed by a group doesn't make it not evil. So the end justifies the means?! Sometimes this is maladaptive and turns into plain evil...I agree with you and by the way I have Muslim friends.
Germlat

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 02:05 pm
@maxdancona,
Let me giggle a little here..so good and evil defined within a culture right? That fits...yep! It was culturally acceptable to starve people, perform medical experiments on children etc...but their culture justified it. Evil exists outside of the confine of your theoretical brain.
Germlat

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 02:16 pm
@maxdancona,
I disagree he brand of justice was very relative to the confines of their values
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 02:22 pm
@maxdancona,
I disagree the brand of justice was very relative to the confines of their values
maxdancona

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 03:17 pm
@Germlat,
Come on Germlat.

Do you really think that the Nazis were evil because of their tolerance of other beliefs and cultures? This is too ridiculous for me to even know how to respond.
Germlat

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 04:53 pm
@maxdancona,
I believe they they provided the world with a huge reality check. A few people can have enough hatred and evil in their hearts to contaminate others. Yes, I believe it was a great evil thing perpetrated to others.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 09:06 pm
@Germlat,
Quote:
I agree with you and by the way I have Muslim friends.

I can hear the "bigot" and "hater" coming your way. All I am doing is sighting incidents and the motives I see behind them. To back me up I have Islamists saying what I would considering saying and encouraging very hateful things.

But some how bringing attention to it makes me the hater. I do not think any culture should kill or impose its will and lifestyle on other cultures. I see Islam doing both. And it needs no provocation it is a self starting machine, that only takes, and moves forward.

Suppressing freedom is immoral. And Max just likes to hear his sorry ass talk. And this thread, and what he said in it, will be contradicted by himself before you can say boo. Pay close attention and you will see him **** all over what he thinks is logic all by himself.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 09:18 pm
@maxdancona,

Quote:
ColdJoint is sooooo cute when he get's upset.

Why would your stupidity upset me? Your childish actions and trying to push buttons just illuminate your character, and I just don't see that much light.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 09:23 pm
@coldjoint,
... says the guy who colors all of his posts in pink? That is very funny Sweet Cheeks. (I take it you haven't figured out yet that no one here takes you very seriously.)
coldjoint

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 09:26 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
... says the guy who colors all of his posts in pink? That is very funny Sweet Cheeks. (I take it you haven't figured out yet that no one here takes you very seriously.)

Don't look now, you have got the same problem. Laughing Laughing Laughing
coldjoint

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 09:28 pm
@coldjoint,
And it is magenta. Are you inbred, and have trouble with reds and greens?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 11:18 am
Quote:
“Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority. The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong. All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who have doubted the current moral values, not of men who have whooped them up and tried to enforce them. The truly civilized man is always skeptical and tolerant.”

― H.L. Mencken

This says it better than I could.

Rap
neologist

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 11:35 am
@raprap,
Mencken speaks with certainty . . . .
maxdancona

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 11:36 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Are you sure about that, Neologist?
coldjoint

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 11:45 am
@maxdancona,
Hey Blowhole, another day of profound( Laughing ) posts?
neologist

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 12:08 pm
@maxdancona,
neologist wrote:
maxdancona wrote:
Are you sure about that, Neologist?
I suppose he could be mistaken. What do you think?
0 Replies