Moral Relativity: Where moral values come from?

livinglava

Reply Thu 16 May, 2019 05:37 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Quote:
...but believing science has nothing to do with disbelieving religion.
That's true to some degree, because there are scientists who are also religious. However, I find fault with that conclusion. Religion is based on faith and faith only. Science is based on evidence. Nobody can produce any evidence of any god. The Bible itself is full of errors, omissions, and contradictions. 10 commandments: "thou shalt not kill." the Bible and violence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_and_violence Also, https://infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/atrocity.html. I saw too many contradictions in the teachings for it to be anything close to any word of any god. Besides that, religion is an accident of birth. A person's religion usually follows the religion of their country, culture, and parent. A christian is no more devoted to his/her religion than any other religion on this planet. My only fascination with religion is the architecture built in its name. https://hiconsumption.com/2014/09/the-23-most-amazing-temples-in-the-world/ I have visited most of these temples.

You're still judging religion and trying to put it in rivalry against science because you are attached to the idea of having an ultimate belief system that trumps others. You are seeking to elevate science to the importance of religion instead of just utilizing it as a tool for thinking and gaining knowledge.

Think of it this way: religions (as well as science) can be studied as artifacts of human thought and culture. When you study them as artifacts, you don't elevate them to any special status or reject them as being unworthy of such status. You just use the information to gain insight into what it's used for by readers, what was meant by the writers, etc. You can do this with science as well as religion and/or other cultural information.

As a believer, I accept that everything that's emerged throughout history is a product of the creation, so I have no problem with studying any science, religion, or other information in terms of why/how it emerged, what it means, and how best to apply whatever insights and knowledge are contained in it. It's all be created through the interplay of good and evil spirits working through the human mind, so you can just learn to explore it as such instead of always competing in favor of one against the other or vice versa.

Of course this doesn't mean that everything that's been thought or written is right or good. That's why I say there is interplay between good and evil working through the human mind. Often, however, the challenge is finding the good and not throwing the baby out with the bathwater, because we have the tendency to want to dismiss something completely if we can find the smallest excuse to do so, i.e. because we want to make our lives easier by rejecting and avoiding things completely. The Bible is a huge book and it's complex to interpret, and when you do you often feel compelled to obey strict moral guidelines that impede your openness to having various kinds of fun without worrying about the consequences. So in that sense, people are biased against religion, but such bias prevents them from studying the material to the fullest extent.
dpmartin

Reply Thu 16 May, 2019 07:38 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Who are those two morons?

its an example not a who
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 May, 2019 09:25 am
@livinglava,
Wrong. I attended perochial school in grade school, and studied the Bible. Also studied Philosophy in college.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 May, 2019 09:27 am
@livinglava,
I’m not judging religion. I’m judging the contradictions, omissions and errors. Huge difference.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Thu 16 May, 2019 02:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Wrong. I attended perochial school in grade school, and studied the Bible. Also studied Philosophy in college.

That doesn't mean you necessarily understood any of it (correctly).

Plenty of people study culture in detailed depth while still missing the fundamental meaning that is supposed to be conveyed.

It's like writing a book on Holy Spirit without ever understanding what 'spirit' even refers to or what 'holiness' is.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 May, 2019 03:00 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
Well, I got mostly A's in my Philosophy courses. AAMOF, better than my major in Accounting, although I got a A in Accounting 101. I worked in management for over 80% of my working career. Was Audit Manager at Florsheim Shoe Company, and did small business consulting in Silicon Valley.
livinglava

Reply Thu 16 May, 2019 03:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Quote:
Well, I got mostly A's in my Philosophy courses. AAMOF, better than my major in Accounting, although I got a A in Accounting 101. I worked in management for over 80% of my working career. Was Audit Manager at Florsheim Shoe Company, and did small business consulting in Silicon Valley.

Is any of that somehow supposed to prove what you did or didn't understand?

How do you know whether grades are based on understanding or just really sophisticated data-processing and performance? Can't people fake their way to an A by cranking through dogma and not understanding it?

Eloquent writers can write entire volumes on the Bible or some other cultural topic without actually understanding it. How many academic books have you read? There is an art to BSing and then rejecting questioning by questioning/dismissing anyone who dares question you.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 May, 2019 03:33 pm
@livinglava,
Because I was able to design bookkeeping systems for businesses, and converted many to computerized system from manual. I designed it myself on my own computer to produce all the necessary bookkeeping records that included the Income Statement and Balance Sheet. It was integrated with all the necessary macro system to keep track of sales, accounts receivables, accounts payables, assets, depreciation, liabilities, and equity. Made good money; traveled to 88 countries and retired early. Paid off our mortgage when I retired, and now have enough savings to live comfortably for the rest of our lives in Silicon Valley, one of the high cost of living area of the country. Our $52k home is now worth $1.8 million.
Quote:
How many academic books have you read?
Quote:
That's one of the most ignorant questions I've seen on able2know. I still read on the puter, and always have a book or two on my bedstand. Always buy the Sunday San Jose Mercury News before we go for breakfast at a local restaurant.
livinglava

Reply Thu 16 May, 2019 05:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Because I was able to design bookkeeping systems for businesses, and converted many to computerized system from manual. I designed it myself on my own computer to produce all the necessary bookkeeping records that included the Income Statement and Balance Sheet. It was integrated with all the necessary macro system to keep track of sales, accounts receivables, accounts payables, assets, depreciation, liabilities, and equity. Made good money; traveled to 88 countries and retired early. Paid off our mortgage when I retired, and now have enough savings to live comfortably for the rest of our lives in Silicon Valley, one of the high cost of living area of the country. Our $52k home is now worth $1.8 million.

What does any of that have to do with understanding religion?

Quote:
How many academic books have you read?
Quote:
That's one of the most ignorant questions I've seen on able2know. I still read on the puter, and always have a book or two on my bedstand. Always buy the Sunday San Jose Mercury News before we go for breakfast at a local restaurant.

I wasn't asking as some kind of measure of your personal worth.

I was asking because if you've read many academic books, you should notice a pattern of information-processing without necessarily understanding all the information being processed.

People can talk and write a lot without really understanding what they are talking/writing about. Often they do so to prove their worth as an academic precisely because they actually don't have a real, deep understanding of the subject matter they study.

This can be a very touchy subject because people depend on others believing they're truly intelligent and wise to maintain academic/intellectual status, so it would be very rude to expose someone's ignorance and they certainly would avoid admitting it themselves.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 May, 2019 05:43 pm
@livinglava,
You asked if I understood anything I read: A stupid q I answered.
livinglava

Reply Fri 17 May, 2019 05:53 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You asked if I understood anything I read: A stupid q I answered.

Regardless, the point is whether you correctly understand religion, which I don't think you do. I don't say that as a personal attack against you, but because I have read many people/atheists critique religion in a way that fundamentally strawmans the meaning of the myths and, by doing so, defies their true meaning and purpose.

Take for example the story of Job. Some critic will ask what kind of God would allow Job to suffer at Satan's hands because Satan tempted/challenged him by causing God to doubt whether Job would actually remain faithful or curse God for his suffering.

Of course the human mind can spin things in this direction or that, so when you choose an interpretation that spins the meaning of a story wrong, you've already doomed yourself to rejecting the story because you've chosen the wrong meaning to review.

If you choose the right meaning, you see that Job's story is an example of people who only have faith and remain obedient because they are materially blessed, and if they suffer materially, they curse and hate God. So the story is really teaching the reader to accept that material blessings come and go but spiritual peace comes from within and that is God's true gift to us if we persevere through enduring suffering instead of cursing God.

Of course, it should also be clear that because the story of Job nearly directly criticizes Satanism, i.e. the opposition/hate/competition with God, it would be a major target for Satanists to misinterpret in terms that make God the bad guy.

In any case, if you talk with other atheists/seculars who interpret the Bible and religion generally in ways that facilitate rejection, then you should be able to recognize a pattern in the strawmanning of religion through misinterpretation. These people start with the will to reject religion, and then they use the creative power of scriptural interpretation to serve that purpose. They may even insist that there mere fact that the texts are open to such flexibility of interpretation makes them worthy of rejection.

Ultimately, the bottom line is that if you reject them for whatever reason, then you block yourself from discovering the true, positive interpretation they were meant to convey. It should be obvious that everyone who wrote down scripture did so with the Holy Spirit guiding them to transmit benevolent, not malicious, information. So you have to tune into the benevolence and interpret the meanings correctly in that way to reap the benefits of them.

vikorr

Reply Fri 17 May, 2019 04:45 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
Take for example the story of Job. Some critic will ask what kind of God would allow Job to suffer at Satan's hands because Satan tempted/challenged him by causing God to doubt whether Job would actually remain faithful or curse God for his suffering.

Of course the human mind can spin things in this direction or that, so when you choose an interpretation that spins the meaning of a story wrong, you've already doomed yourself to rejecting the story because you've chosen the wrong meaning to review.

Quote:
If you choose the right meaning, you see that Job's story is an example of people who only have faith and remain obedient because they are materially blessed, and if they suffer materially, they curse and hate God.

Quote:
13 One day when Job’s sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother’s house, 14 a messenger came to Job and said, “The oxen were plowing and the donkeys were grazing nearby, 15 and the Sabeans attacked and made off with them. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

16 While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, “The fire of God fell from the heavens and burned up the sheep and the servants, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

17 While he was still speaking, another messenger came and said, “The Chaldeans formed three raiding parties and swept down on your camels and made off with them. They put the servants to the sword, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

18 While he was still speaking, yet another messenger came and said, “Your sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother’s house, 19 when suddenly a mighty wind swept in from the desert and struck the four corners of the house. It collapsed on them and they are dead, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

Perhaps the critics see the death of people and animals, and perhaps the supporters treat those people only as material possessions?

Perhaps the critics see a cosmic power play where people and animals die so celestials can see who wins a bet / one up each other / show the other who's correct, while supporters only look at how the central man reacted? Is not part of that story the implied fact that God allowed Satan to kill anyone/everyone but Job? To show Satan that he (Satan) was wrong?

If the story of Job were only about Job, and just about material losses, as you claim....then, if he chose to still continue to support God, good for him. However, the story of Job is not just about Job, and not just about material losses. Many people lost their lives in that story.

So in essence you are right - people can focus on whatever they want to in a story, and get their lessons purely from what they choose to focus on (and so, what they choose to leave out or distort, regarding their recollection of a story).

Seems to me like a good example of the original topic.
livinglava

Reply Fri 17 May, 2019 09:06 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Perhaps the critics see the death of people and animals, and perhaps the supporters treat those people only as material possessions?

Children are property, legally, until they are emancipated, which happens automatically at age 18 unless they are declared dependent for some other reason. Once emancipated, parents are no longer obligated to care for children, who are then legally responsible for themselves. It's not a question of being degraded as chattel but of whether or not a responsible adult is responsible for you as well, or whether you're your own responsibility and thus subject to all the forces that make it difficult for people to survive.

Quote:
Perhaps the critics see a cosmic power play where people and animals die so celestials can see who wins a bet / one up each other / show the other who's correct, while supporters only look at how the central man reacted? Is not part of that story the implied fact that God allowed Satan to kill anyone/everyone but Job? To show Satan that he (Satan) was wrong?

Yes, I explained how that interpretation would lead you into opposition with God, whereas another interpretation would give you insight into the purpose and goodness of remaining faithful to God. Both interpretations are possible, but only one 1) is beneficial and 2) honors the purpose of Holy Spirit in transmitting the meaning of the story.

Quote:
If the story of Job were only about Job, and just about material losses, as you claim....then, if he chose to still continue to support God, good for him. However, the story of Job is not just about Job, and not just about material losses. Many people lost their lives in that story.

Bad things happen. It is the nature of this world. Do you think Buddhism is cruel for teaching that all things material are impermanent and attachment/desire are the cause of suffering? You don't think religion should provide insight into how to understand and cope with bad things and suffering that happens in the world?
vikorr

Reply Sat 18 May, 2019 04:38 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
Children are property
Alright, we've established that you view children as property (seeing as you talk about them being property until 18, at which stage they become adults, so all children are property to you). Other than that being a disgusting view, your statements are still perfect examples of people seeing only what they want to see - You talk only about material loss...I point out multiple people dying...you then choose to focus only on children, ignoring the adults who died. Yes, a perfect of example of seeking to see only what you want to see.

Quote:
Both interpretations are possible, but only one 1) is beneficial and 2) honors the purpose of Holy Spirit in transmitting the meaning of the story.

Let's move this story into the earthly realm.

A Police Commissioner has a disagreement with his evil son. The Police Commissioner and his son argue that the City Mayor will turn on the Police Commissioner if enough bad happens to the Mayor. The Police Commissioner bets his evil son that he is wrong, and says 'do what you like to the Mayor, just don't touch the Mayor'. The evil son then kills public servants, burns the mayors house to the ground, kills the mayors wife and children, kills the mayors gardener and house cleaner, and so on...all while the Police Commissioner stands by watching it. At the end the Mayor goes to the Police Commissioner and says...I still trust you. You are a good person.

It is irrefutable that the Police Commissioner is not good. Both the Police Commissioner, and the evil son, engaged in evil. Having applied irrefutable ethics here on earth, I can also apply that to anyone in the heavens.

See, the thing is, I apply exactly the same principles of right and wrong to God, as I do to other people (ie. there are no double standards). You on the other hand, constantly twist yourself into knots, trying to explain evil, trying to explain double standards, because you constantly engage in them.

I would say that it is very highly beneficial to not see only what you want to see, and to not engage in double standards.

Quote:
Bad things happen. It is the nature of this world.
You are otherwise treating people as property (and it appears you are), or backing down on your claim that the story of Job was about material loss.

I deal very well with the fact that bad things happen in this world. I don't care for people who think of other people as mere property, or that lives can to be lost without a thought, and treated as irrelevant except as relates to important/central people. Same goes for making bets where people lose their lives, just to prove a point. Nor do I think such callous ideology should not be challenged.

Not surprisingly, virtually all callous ideology is founded in double standards.
livinglava

Reply Sat 18 May, 2019 05:13 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Quote:
Children are property
Alright, we've established that you view children as property (seeing as you talk about them being property until 18, at which stage they become adults, so all children are property to you).

Lol. I wasn't describing my personal view. I was describing the legal status of children, who are not legally emancipated until they are, typically by default when they reach the age of 18.

Quote:
Other than that being a disgusting view, your statements are still perfect examples of people seeing only what they want to see - You talk only about material loss...I point out multiple people dying...you then choose to focus only on children, ignoring the adults who died. Yes, a perfect of example of seeking to see only what you want to see.

You're spinning everything I've said in a way that perverts the meaning. Does your mind do that automatically or do you do it intentionally? Of course if you're a true liar, you won't admit it; and then there's no point discussing any of this with you.

Quote:
Quote:
Both interpretations are possible, but only one 1) is beneficial and 2) honors the purpose of Holy Spirit in transmitting the meaning of the story.

Let's move this story into the earthly realm.

Nothing to move on from, since you're totally ignoring/avoiding everything I'm saying in your responses.

Quote:
A Police Commissioner has a disagreement with his evil son. The Police Commissioner and his son argue that the City Mayor will turn on the Police Commissioner if enough bad happens to the Mayor. The Police Commissioner bets his evil son that he is wrong, and says 'do what you like to the Mayor, just don't touch the Mayor'. The evil son then kills public servants, burns the mayors house to the ground, kills the mayors wife and children, kills the mayors gardener and house cleaner, and so on...all while the Police Commissioner stands by watching it. At the end the Mayor goes to the Police Commissioner and says...I still trust you. You are a good person.

The people in you're story are humans, not forces of nature. Nature is natural and what humans do is artificial. When people die of natural causes, that is just inevitable. When they are killed by other people, that is murder.

Quote:
It is irrefutable that the Police Commissioner is not good. Both the Police Commissioner, and the evil son, engaged in evil. Having applied irrefutable ethics here on earth, I can also apply that to anyone in the heavens.

God isn't an "anyone." We personify God in order to relate to Him but ultimately God is beyond human form and beyond form more generally.

Quote:
See, the thing is, I apply exactly the same principles of right and wrong to God, as I do to other people (ie. there are no double standards). You on the other hand, constantly twist yourself into knots, trying to explain evil, trying to explain double standards, because you constantly engage in them.

You only use your mind to argue against God and religion. I explained already how you have to take the right attitude toward region to study it properly, but you're hell-bent on doing exactly what I explained as the wrong way, so there's nothing more I can say to sway your choice. It is ultimately your choice to apply your mind to wrong instead of right and God will not stop you from doing that. You have that free will to abuse.

Quote:
I would say that it is very highly beneficial to not see only what you want to see, and to not engage in double standards.

Quote:
Bad things happen. It is the nature of this world.
You are otherwise treating people as property (and it appears you are), or backing down on your claim that the story of Job was about material loss.

I deal very well with the fact that bad things happen in this world. I don't care for people who think of other people as mere property, or that lives can to be lost without a thought, and treated as irrelevant except as relates to important/central people. Same goes for making bets where people lose their lives, just to prove a point. Nor do I think such callous ideology should not be challenged.

Not surprisingly, virtually all callous ideology is founded in double standards.

You're way off track in understanding what I've said and being able to study religion to understand what it really means.
vikorr

Reply Sat 18 May, 2019 07:11 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
Lol. I wasn't describing my personal view.
This is not what you were doing. You stated Job suffered material loss. I pointed out the deaths. You said children were property (whether you were using other peoples words or not). In other words, you used 'other peoples words' to justify you categorising children as property. Ie. So you were treating them as property.

Once pointed out what you were doing, then you backed down, trying to blame others for your statements that children were property...without ever saying 'I don't think children are property'. So you can justify your disgusting statements all you like, or come out and say 'children are not property'...which you still have not done.

If you would like to say 'I don't believe children to be property' then we can have a conversation about my original observation about your statement 'Job suffered material losses'. And if you would like to have an honest conversation over that, then please stop engaging in diversionary nonsense (see the flow of your tactics above).
Quote:
You're way off track in understanding what I've said and being able to study religion to understand what it really means.
Not at all. There's a very fundamental difference between you and I. I understand this, but you don't:

- I judge everyone, God and Human, using the same principles. You don't.

It's why you tie yourself into knots trying to justify evil behaviour. In your mind, because a 'thing' (more intelligent than a human) is not human, you can ignore it's behaviour, and the outcomes on humans of that behaviour. In my mind, God made this world, and therefor the principles that exist in it, as relates to behaviour. And if he encompasses everything, then he has to be consistent with those principles that relate to behaviour. In other words, it is entirely right, and fair, to judge God by the principles we find in this world.

Quote:
You only use your mind to argue against God and religion
I like the idea of God, and hope one exists. And not one thing I've said here argues against the existence of God.

Religion on the other hand, falls under the umbrella of ideology, no matter how you look at it. All ideology is open to judgement, using conscience to determine if it is good or bad, beneficial or harmful, consistent or inconsistent, tolerant or intolerant, etc. All people are responsible for their personal beliefs (whether obtained from a religion or elsewhere).

I have been pointing out the flaws in your ideology.

Unfortunately, you don't truly question. Your idea of questioning is 'My end point is X...how do I get from this problem to X?"

That's not true questioning which involves:
A. not having an end goal as your starting point
B. not ignoring any of the parts
C. truly seeking to all understand the contributing factors
D. truly seeking to all understand the repercussions
E. be fair, even handed, consistent, in your assessment at each stage, and conclusions

You fail A, B, and E, and fail parts of C & D
livinglava

Reply Sat 18 May, 2019 07:42 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Quote:
Lol. I wasn't describing my personal view.
This is not what you were doing. You stated Job suffered material loss. I pointed out the deaths.

Death is a material loss of the body. The soul and spirit live on eternally.

Quote:
You said children were property (whether you were using other peoples words or not). In other words, you used 'other peoples words' to justify you categorising children as property. Ie. So you were treating them as property.

Children are property by law. They are emancipated by default at age 18. If you don't like the word, 'property,' then call them 'wards.' Either way, it's semantics. Pets can also be considered 'property' or 'wards,' and they can be treated as either. Fortunately it's not legal to sell your children, so they aren't property in that sense. I also wouldn't want people selling their children, so I guess I'm against them being treated as property in that sense.

Still, as adults we treat ourselves as property to be rented out for wage-labor, and underage children are allowed to also rent themselves out with parental consent, so in that sense you could say the parents are renting out their children when they allow/encourage them to get a job and contribute to household expenses, but that might not be a bad thing, and certainly it's not as bad as would be selling your child into slavery at a gold mine or something else that would cause the child traumatic stress and anguish.

Quote:
Once pointed out what you were doing, then you backed down, trying to blame others for your statements that children were property...without ever saying 'I don't think children are property'. So you can justify your disgusting statements all you like, or come out and say 'children are not property'...which you still have not done.

Look at how you accuse and try to push me into a defensive stance. It's not right.

Quote:
If you would like to say 'I don't believe children to be property' then we can have a conversation about my original observation about your statement 'Job suffered material losses'. And if you would like to have an honest conversation over that, then please stop engaging in diversionary nonsense (see the flow of your tactics above).

You type a lot to generate interpersonal emotional drama. It's unpleasant exchanging posts with you for this reason.

Quote:

- I judge everyone, God and Human, using the same principles. You don't.

That is an empty rhetorical principle that amounts to nothing relevant.

Quote:
It's why you tie yourself into knots trying to justify evil behaviour. In your mind, because a 'thing' (more intelligent than a human) is not human, you can ignore it's behaviour, and the outcomes on humans of that behaviour. In my mind, God made this world, and therefor the principles that exist in it, as relates to behaviour. And if he encompasses everything, then he has to be consistent with those principles that relate to behaviour. In other words, it is entirely right, and fair, to judge God by the principles we find in this world.

I don't know how to get through to you that these legalistic-type arguments you make regarding theology are meaningless.

Quote:
Quote:
You only use your mind to argue against God and religion
I like the idea of God, and hope one exists. And not one thing I've said here argues against the existence of God.

The universe and nature exist. What you imagine God to be may not.

Quote:
Religion on the other hand, falls under the umbrella of ideology, no matter how you look at it. All ideology is open to judgement, using conscience to determine if it is good or bad, beneficial or harmful, consistent or inconsistent, tolerant or intolerant, etc. All people are responsible for their personal beliefs (whether obtained from a religion or elsewhere).

I have been pointing out the flaws in your ideology.

You don't actually understand my ideology/religion, except in terms of your own, which is invalid in many ways.

Quote:
Unfortunately, you don't truly question. Your idea of questioning is 'My end point is X...how do I get from this problem to X?"

I have questioned a lot, and that has led me to many of my current conclusions and understandings. I am not against further questioning, but some questioning is just irrelevant and a waste of time and effort.
vikorr

Reply Sat 18 May, 2019 08:16 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
You aren't engaging in contextual honesty. In context, material loss you spoke of is property loss. You acknowledged this when you went on with the nonsense about children being property.

Quote:
Children are property by law. They are emancipated by default at age 18
Still haven't said 'I don't believe children are property', and gone to great lengths to paint people as property. So yes, you did mean children were property.
Quote:
Look at how you accuse and try to push me into a defensive stance. It's not right.
It's not right to call you to account for calling children property? There's not need at all for defense. It's easy. Children aren't property. See. Easy.
Quote:
You type a lot to generate interpersonal emotional drama. It's unpleasant exchanging posts with you for this reason.

Unclear criticism is unhelpful. Broad criticism is unhelpful. Specific criticism is more helpful...but all criticising without explanation is not constructive...so a lot of typing is needed. Examples add to that. Perhaps you put a slant on motivation so that you can excuse yourself from considering the explanation?

As for discomfort - I wouldn't expect any such questions from me to be comfortable for you. That is what all people feel when deeply held beliefs get questioned with legitimate questions or observations (whether you consciously acknowledge it or not, the discomfort is caused by the acknowledgement of the subconscious)
Quote:
As I mentioned, this is a major difference between you and I that you simply don't understand. You won't by the way, be able to find examples of me doing otherwise than judging both God and Human by the same principles. And we've had plenty of conversations for you to try and find such. You know this, so your accusation of rhetoric without backup is once again, dishonest of you.

I understand why you won't acknowledge this - it would change your understanding of God.

Quote:
I don't know how to get through to you that these legalistic-type arguments you make regarding theology are meaningless.
Using your arguments? If you engaged in honesty, it would help. If you didn't avoid situations it would help. If you engaged in consistency it would help. Etc. When confronted on flawed beliefs, you don't.

Quote:
The universe and nature exist. What you imagine God to be may not.
Fine by me - I don't claim to know for sure. I simply do the best I can. Will you apply your statement to your beliefs regarding God as well....or once again employ double standards.

Quote:
I have questioned a lot, and that has led me to many of my current conclusions and understandings. I am not against further questioning, but some questioning is just irrelevant and a waste of time and effort.
You didn't comprehend I see. It was the method you use to question that I was criticising.
livinglava

Reply Sun 19 May, 2019 08:23 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Quote:
You aren't engaging in contextual honesty. In context, material loss you spoke of is property loss. You acknowledged this when you went on with the nonsense about children being property.

Your understanding of my words doesn't accurately reflect my intent or how I think. That may be because of how you read, how I write, or some combination. Either way, I am clarifying now that there was miscommunication, so stop bickering about it.

Quote:
Quote:
Children are property by law. They are emancipated by default at age 18
Still haven't said 'I don't believe children are property', and gone to great lengths to paint people as property. So yes, you did mean children were property.

Look, the word 'property' has many connotations. There are many philosophical issues around agency and determination within living and non-living things. Ownership is a human concept. What does it mean for something to belong to someone, i.e. to be proper to that person, to be their 'property?'

Feminism has criticized the notion that marital partners are each other's 'property,' yet that is exactly what marriage as an institution does, i.e. make people who are not blood relatives 'proper' family to each other. Birth and legal adoption also make people into 'proper' family, so they are each others' 'property' in that sense.

Now there is this other connotation of 'property' that you are freely entitled to abuse your own property so long as it belongs to you. That 'right of abuse' seems to be what bothers people like you about regarding other humans as property, but of course it's not just bad when humans abuse other humans, but also when they abuse non-humans, as well as non-living objects. All abuse is bad, and yet we can't go around abusing others as a response to abuse, hence the difficulties of governance and politics.

Quote:

Unclear criticism is unhelpful. Broad criticism is unhelpful. Specific criticism is more helpful...but all criticising without explanation is not constructive...so a lot of typing is needed. Examples add to that. Perhaps you put a slant on motivation so that you can excuse yourself from considering the explanation?

Idk. All I know is that it is difficult to communicate clearly with you. Maybe there are other people than me that can communicate with you more clearly. Idk.

Quote:
As for discomfort - I wouldn't expect any such questions from me to be comfortable for you. That is what all people feel when deeply held beliefs get questioned with legitimate questions or observations (whether you consciously acknowledge it or not, the discomfort is caused by the acknowledgement of the subconscious)

I'm not sure I agree with you, but when you get into this level of psychology, it becomes difficult to gain clarity on what is subjective, biased, slanted, etc.

Quote:
As I mentioned, this is a major difference between you and I that you simply don't understand. You won't by the way, be able to find examples of me doing otherwise than judging both God and Human by the same principles. And we've had plenty of conversations for you to try and find such. You know this, so your accusation of rhetoric without backup is once again, dishonest of you.[/quote]
I've tried telling you that you don't understand God correctly if you think that He is like a human individual, but you may not be capable of thinking more broadly about creative power beyond the familiar human form.

Quote:
I understand why you won't acknowledge this - it would change your understanding of God.

There's a scene in a movie made about Moses a few years ago where Moses has a revelation that if there are gods of all the forces of nature, then there is one God for all of nature. I recommend first contemplating how humans relate to forces of nature before considering what it means to have a single God that unifies all those forces.

Understanding God is nothing like understanding a human king or any kind of human authority or institution. It is about understanding the entirety of the universe and all the power and knowledge that exists in terms of a fundamental capacity for it all to emerge, evolve, and occur in all the forms and transformations and patterns that do.

Quote:
Using your arguments? If you engaged in honesty, it would help. If you didn't avoid situations it would help. If you engaged in consistency it would help. Etc. When confronted on flawed beliefs, you don't.

These critiques you apply really make sense to you, but I think you overextend them as concepts, to the point where they don't actually apply. Your rhetoric sounds meaningful, but it doesn't actually hold water. This is my view and you may be right and me wrong, but I can't see how based on my understanding of the things you're talking about.

Quote:
Fine by me - I don't claim to know for sure. I simply do the best I can. Will you apply your statement to your beliefs regarding God as well....or once again employ double standards.

I've explained to you in the past how the concept of a double-standard is subjectively flexible and can be applied in non-sensical ways. E.g. if you claim that dogs and cats are both pets therefore it is a double-standard that cats are allowed to roam freely outside but dogs aren't, or that stray cats are tolerated more than stray dogs, etc.

You can apply the idea of double-standards in this way, but it just isn't sensible. What's worse is that there are actual cases where double-standards are created to undermine equality and abuse people, and you are making light of those by extending the concept where it doesn't apply.
vikorr

Reply Sun 19 May, 2019 04:16 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
Your understanding of my words doesn't accurately reflect my intent or how I think. That may be because of how you read, how I write, or some combination. Either way, I am clarifying now that there was miscommunication, so stop bickering about it.
There's very good reason to 'bicker' - you use words (material loss) that everyone else in common writings understands to mean property/wealth loss (so causes confusion)....then outright call children property (which should be challenged)...then say death too is material (which further confuses the conversation -see next)

The material loss of the body is suffered by the person who died. Your original statement was about Job suffering material loss - so Job cannot suffer the material loss - it was suffered by those associated with him. As a further objection, the death of a person should never be described as a material loss.

So what Job suffered was the earthly loss of their souls / their company / their minds / their connection to him, and the work they did for him (which last is material but no where near as important as the deaths)...but the deaths were suffered by his associates. Which you ignore, or confuse as material loss (in your words, death of the body) suffered by Job.

So the confusion is in your writing.

Quote:
Feminism has criticized the notion that marital partners are each other's 'property,' yet that is exactly what marriage as an institution does, i.e. make people who are not blood relatives 'proper' family to each other
Che? Children are connected to Parents, and spouses are committed to each other. Neither is the property of the other. Children have less legal rights, but they most certainly are not property. Neither are spouses.

Do you actually believe this ugliness?

Do you not see where the belief in 'you're my property' so often leads?

Have a look at the evils that were committed against spouses or dependents, and you will find at the heart that the perpetrator so often believed them to be property, and treated them as such.

Quote:
Idk. All I know is that it is difficult to communicate clearly with you. Maybe there are other people than me that can communicate with you more clearly. Idk.

As I previously mentioned - your difficulty is that you have an end assumption (X), and when faced with a problem (A), your question is 'how do I get from this problem (A) to X?'

If you can't logically go from A to X (and you really want to reach X), then the only way is to employ double standards, false comparison, diversion, superficial cover, etc.

It's difficult for you because I am used to seeing those tactics, and can explain their use (the wordiness you accuse me of employing due to some nefarious motivation), and the problems caused by them.

It may help you to know that I used to be Christian. I used to have blinkers. But my parents also taught me about principles and self responsibility...and deep down, I always wanted to know why I believed what I believed. That lead down a long path of finding the inconsistencies in my own beliefs, identifying the rationalisations I used, the reasons for my beliefs...and consequently, having found through hard work the flaws in my own beliefs....it's easy to see when others employ the same flawed processes.

What I've asked of you - I've similarly asked of myself.