WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CONCERTOS?

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:04 am
A bridge from "Favorite Symphony" as some seem anxious to post their favorite concerto

Mr first choice is Rachmaninoff 3rd Piano Concerto

The Martha Argerich live recording is sublime and electrifying but for the lyrical romance of the piece, I also have the vintage Byron Janis.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,284 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 12:24 pm
I just love Ol' Johnny Mozart's piano concerto #20, and was delighted when i found that the second movement had been used at the end of Amadeus. My favorite is the Concierto de Aranjuez, a guitar concerto by Joachim Rodrigo (c. 1941)--in the minor key second movement, the oboe presages the musical theme the guitar soloist will pursue, and i love the oboe . . . great piece that, but too many good guitarists to specify a favorite performance.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 07:03 pm
Beethoven 5th piano.

Brahms 1st piano.

Tchaikovski 2nd piano.

Prokofiev 3rd and his 2nd ain't bad either.

Shostakovitch 1st piano.

Mozart horn concerti.

Shostakovitch 1st cello.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 09:11 pm
Ah, the Shostakovitch Piano which was really made more famous by it's use in the Richard Dreyfuss movie, "The Competition." That last movement is like cosmic energy. I could imagine everyone loves the Tchaikovsky and some interesting choices down the line, coluber.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 08:42 pm
I don't remembe the Shostakovitch concerto in "The Competition." Dreyfus did play the Prokofiev 3rd, just enough to frustrate you and want more.l;
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 05:14 am
Hummel's Trumpet Concerto

Grieg's Piano Concerto
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 05:27 am
Concierto De Aranjuez, from Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 09:32 am
I don't know if a jazz adaptation would be considered a concerto but that is a spectacular track. I just wish the album were stereo.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 09:33 am
Amy Irving played the Shostokovitch in "The Competition." The Prokofiev 3rd is wonderful -- the big tune stick in one's brain.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 12:42 pm
It's been such a long time since I've seen the movie. I probably wasn't into Shostakovitch then.

Polenc's "Concerto for Organ, strings, and Tympani" is wonderful. Years ago, it was called "Music for Organ, strings, and Tympani." At least I think they're the same work.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:13 pm
The Polenc is on Telarc in sonics that will blow your chair clear into the neighbor's house:

http://cover09.cduniverse.com/MuzeAudioArt/010/13356.jpg
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:20 pm
Lightwizard- Some years ago, I was driving to work. The Poulenc was on the radio. It took me awhile to realize, that as the piece evolved, and became faster and faster, I was driving in pace with the music! That sure is a whizbanger!!!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:33 pm
Always reminded me of the Florent Schmitt "Psalm 47" for which there is no recording in the catalog. It's not a concerto but a choral piece that swells to a climax that is unbelievable. I've always tried to convince my friend who has influence with the Pacific Chorale to include it in the repetoire. It was very much admired by none other than Stravinksy.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:36 pm
(BTW, if you were stopped for speeding, how do you explain that one to the officer Laughing Laughing Laughing )
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:41 pm
Lightwizard- Don't know........Damned good thing that the cops were out eating donuts when I was tearing down that highway!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 03:19 pm
Otherwise, you'd be Kremed.
0 Replies