UW Personal essay

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 08:03 pm
please help me think of things too add or change about my essay to make it stand out and become exceptional. this is a very important school to me

As soon as I took my position, it was instant chaos. The air did not feel relaxing anymore; a new frantic and heavy feeling was now around me. The pool deck was not only now filled with thick air but cluttered with questions, and hiked up emotions. A feeling of a drill sergeant came over me, explaining the plan and how to execute it. I instantly started with getting the girls in the next event to their positions. Quickly searching for the other captains to help, I was slightly distraught as I could not find any of them. It looked as if I was going in alone on this one alone.
The deck was a crowded and loud place to be just as a bystander, these girls were getting instruction in this environment. As soon as the event had started I left that group of girls feeling confident and hopeful that I had given them all that they needed to do their best. I started on the next group, and continued that pattern until the capacity of my own team in the events had slowed down. I stayed behind the blocks, off and on other teams needed help, and I was glad to assist them. The air was still heavy but not as frantic anymore, it felt relaxing after a stressful day.
We completed the meet with one last team cheer and high fives around the pool deck to all the other teams. My coach had then pulled me aside informing me that our team hadn’t missed a single race that day. Even though this might not seem like a big deal to some people, it meant a great deal to me. No missed races felt like the biggest victory in the world. Our first swim meet, was a great accomplishment.
The bus ride back to school was relaxing, and felt of completion. As the day went on I got several messages from my girls expressing their thanks and telling me I was an awesome captain. It was a great feeling to be told I was doing a great job and being good support. Going home thinking of what had happened, I felt like a new person, a new sense of self awareness. Although my teammates and coaches might not have known how much it meant to me, I will never forget that day. I am so proud of my girls, my swimmers, my friends.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 592 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 08:03 am
@swimmergirl415,
A few quick things off the top of my head. Place an empty line between paragraphs. It makes it all a lot more readable. When you don't indent, you've really got to do this.

Your verb tenses sometimes are confusing (e. g. the coach had then pulled me aside - skip the had). You have some redundancy (there's a sentence where you say alone twice. Once is sufficient; we get it).

Also, I realize from your user id that you have a swimming background. However, the chances exist that the person reading your application essay won't be seeing any other part of your application. Hence they won't know! You need to tell them. So begin by setting the scene, something like It was the first swim meet where I was in charge ....

Why is it such a big deal to not miss any races? You tell us but it's not that convincing. Does it mean something like your team had a chance to win every race, or that it was a team that had missed a lot of races before and now they had become a disciplined unit? Was it some rule that you needed to follow in order to get some other perk? Maybe talk a bit about that. Telling me it felt good is nice, but giving me a reason to feel good about it is even better.

Best of luck to you!
0 Replies