Hell?

Jack of Hearts

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2013 11:04 am
@mikeymojo,
mikeymojo wrote:

Would a person actually know that they were in Hell? Not a trick question, just a logical question.

Oh yes, it would be unmistakable, and you'll know it in an instant.
Think of it's purpose - it's not to tease or taunt - it's everything they say and worse.
0 Replies

Enaj

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 07:34 pm
Notice the similarity between hell and helmet? The one covers the head, the other covers over the body. Hell means to cover over. It is the grave.
Smileyrius

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 09:26 pm
@Enaj,
The Wikipedia appears to agree with you

Quote:
These three terms have different meanings and must be recognized.
Hades has similarities to the Old Testament term, Sheol as "the place of the dead". Thus, it is used in reference to both the righteous and the wicked, since both wind up there eventually.[28]
Gehenna refers to the "Valley of Hinnon", which was a garbage dump outside of Jerusalem. It was a place where people burned their garbage and thus there was always a fire burning there. Bodies of those deemed to have died in sin without hope of salvation (such as people who committed suicide) were thrown there to be destroyed.[29] Gehenna is used in the New Testament as a metaphor for the final place of punishment for the wicked after the resurrection.[30]
Tartaro (the verb "throw to Tartarus") occurs only once in the New Testament in II Peter 2:4, where it is parallel to the use of the noun form in 1 Enoch as the place of incarceration of 200 fallen angels. It mentions nothing about human souls being sent there in the afterlife.
Jack of Hearts

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 02:29 pm
@Smileyrius,
So, hell is either just a place for all the dead; only for fallen angels; or akin to cremation upon a garbage heap - no punishment for man, eh?

Matt. 25: 40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. 41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed , into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 For I was an hungred , and ye gave me no meat : I was thirsty , and ye gave me no drink :

Tartaro it is!
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 04:39 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
What you must remember my friend is that when Shadrach Meshach an Abednego refused to bow down to the idol in Babylon, they were tossed in the furnace. Remember they were not harmed, there was an angel walking around in the furnace with them keeping them from harm. So spirit creatures are not harmed by fire, and have the power to protect humans from it. Would this not render a literal hell rather impotent?

If the fire was not literal, but symbolic, what do you think fire would be symbolic of if not destruction?

If all your sin is paid for at death, why is further punishment required?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 04:47 pm
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 05:17 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
If any punishment beyond death were in store for sinners, would it not have been fair to warn Adam and Eve?
0 Replies

Jack of Hearts

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:55 pm
@Smileyrius,
Neologist, last I heard, Adam and Eve went to a place called limbo. What have you heard?

Smileyrius wrote:

What you must remember my friend is that when Shadrach Meshach an Abednego refused to bow down to the idol in Babylon, they were tossed in the furnace. Remember they were not harmed, there was an angel walking around in the furnace with them keeping them from harm. It sounds like a heavenly angel. So spirit creatures are not harmed by fire, What? If not one, then certainly not all? and have the power to protect humans from it. Would this not render a literal hell rather impotent? Yeah, if souls could hook up with angels in hell.
If the fire was not literal, but symbolic, what do you think fire would be symbolic of if not destruction? Maybe, the most physically painful thing known to man.
If all your sin is paid for at death, why is further punishment required? As if! Mortality is a gift, not a punishment; even good people die.

Quiz time: Only three people in the Bible entered heaven without dying first; can you name them?
neologist

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:58 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
Jack of Hearts wrote:
.. . . . Mortality is a gift, not a punishment; even good people die.
Yes. But it it is not and never was God's purpose for man to die.
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 05:33 am
@Jack of Hearts,
I appreciate your response my friend, Probably an important question in my mind is this,

A man thrown into a literal lake of fire would not suffer would he? surely he would die / cease to exist. Why would god have had something that causes destruction to picture something that causes eternal pain?

Could you explain limbo to me with scripture? I cannot say I have peered too deeply into the theory
farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 05:38 am
@neologist,
Quote:
it is not and never was God's purpose for man to die.

yeh well even a god must obey the laws of biology.
Jack of Hearts

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 10:40 am
@Smileyrius,
neologist wrote:
it is not and never was God's purpose for man to die. I can't imagine who thwarted God and made man mortal against God's intentions.
smileyrius wrote:

I appreciate your response my friend, Probably an important question in my mind is this,
A man thrown into a literal lake of fire would not suffer would he? surely he would die / cease to exist? It is not the physical man, (he probably still buried in the ground).
Why would god have had something that causes destruction to picture something that causes eternal pain? I can't explain all of God's intentions - I could be wrong on most (or all) those to which I give a supposition; on this "Why", it's obvious to me that it is what God wishes. [/b]
Could you explain limbo to me with scripture? I cannot say I have peered too deeply into the theory I cannot say all that is, nor isn't, referred to in the Bible, but I'm taught it is a spiritual place, void of pleasure and pain. It's between purgatory and heaven; it is there where the soul of fetuses' go (having not known God, been baptized, nor had actions for which to be accountable).

Farmerman wrote:

yeh well even a god must obey the laws of biology. Remember God created those laws, and laws usually have loopholes. Nonetheless, souls aren't biological, they're spiritual.
[
Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 10:42 am
Now a soundtrack for this thread . . .

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 11:08 am
@Jack of Hearts,
Jack of Hearts wrote:
I can't imagine who thwarted God and made man mortal against God's intentions.
Men have always been mortal, as are angels. As for why we die, start by reading Genesis, chapter 3.
More:
Quote:
That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because they had all sinned (Romans 5:12)

Need more?
neologist

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 12:14 am
@farmerman,
neo wrote:
it is not and never was God's purpose for man to die.
farmerman wrote:
yeh well even a god must obey the laws of biology.
Good observation. Are you volunteering to school God on the finer points? He may have a job for you.
0 Replies

Enaj

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 01:40 pm
@Smileyrius,
Where does the bible mention something called "limbo"?
I have never come across it......therefore there is no limbo.
Enaj

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 01:42 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
purgatory?

Where is that in the bible....
neologist

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 01:42 pm
@Enaj,
Good reason. But, BTW, it was Jack who brought it up.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 01:43 pm
@Enaj,
OK. Now you're on to it.

I'll slink away now . . .. .. ..
0 Replies

Enaj

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 01:45 pm
@neologist,
Angels are mortal? Is there a verse that supports this? Would love to look into this.