tv Aerials

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 11:09 am
Can someone please help. The Tv aerial on my upstairs TVs only are live.
When the plug is on and Tv is on stand by, if I pull the aerial out of the video and leave the other end in the Tv the end in my hand is live. This is only on the upstairs TVs. I have checked all plug sockets with a tester and the earths are ok. The TVs do not have earths in the plug cable. (thats how they came) The aerial does not seem to be live when TV is turned on, (out of stand by)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,199 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 11:12 am
Are you talking about "live" as in mains power live? If so I would not use those TV's (and get them checked pronto). Something is very wrong. Aerials should not be live!
0 Replies

klellis41

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:44 am
when I say live, they will give you a small shock, and using an electrical screwdriver with internal bulb will light up.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:48 am
Wilso is exactly right. There should NEVER be any detecable electrical current on the aerial elements or the RF connectors.

If you have an electrical current there you have major problems with your setup and it should be unpluged from any electrical source and checked by a competent service technician.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 09:51 am
klellis41 wrote:
when I say live, they will give you a small shock, and using an electrical screwdriver with internal bulb will light up.

Take the light bulb out of that screwdriver and NEVER use it to test power again. They are a very good way of getting killed.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 09:52 am
In fact never test for power with anything that doesn't have at least a category 3 (CATIII) rating.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 10:37 am
Absolutely !!!

It's possible there is a major fault with the TV or possibly the booster up in the attic (if you have one - a booster that is).

Get a qualified electrician in immediately !
0 Replies