Democrats May Forgo the Right to Block Future Republican Judicial Nominees

oralloy

Sat 23 Nov, 2013 01:51 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
If the Democrats really violated the process for changing the rules, I wonder if the Republicans could sue and have the courts nullify the rule change?

No. The Constitution gives Congress the power to make their own rules. No judge would be able to take a case questioning their rules.

As I recall, a few years back Obama tried pretending that he had the power to make recess appointments even when Congress was not in recess. And last I heard, the courts were saying that every single act that had been carried out by the agency he made his fraudulent recess appointments to, was invalid. (Though I admit it has been some time since I've seen an update. Perhaps the courts are saying something different these days.)

I can picture the courts deciding to invalidate every single act committed by anyone who gets confirmed after this rule change.

However, that would depend on whether the rules were really violated. I see your posts that claim there was no violation. I have not studied the issue so am not in a position to either agree or disagree with that.

But if there was a violation, I can see a big role for legal action.
hawkeye10

Sat 23 Nov, 2013 02:20 pm
@oralloy,
the constitution allows the Senate to make its own rules, but that does not mean that they can break them at will. I do not expect SCOTUS to act, but I do believe that they have jurisdiction to hold a hearing on the matter, and that there is a possibility to conclude that the recent Senate action is unconstitutional.
jcboy

Sat 23 Nov, 2013 02:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

the recent Senate action is unconstitutional.

How so?
hawkeye10

Sat 23 Nov, 2013 02:36 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

How so?
the argument is that capricious government is an assault upon constitutional society, and thus as upholders of the Constitution SCOTUS has jurisdiction to forbid it. SCOTUS can rule that while the Senate has the power to set its own rules, it does not have the power to change them without following its own rules for doing so.
jcboy

Sat 23 Nov, 2013 03:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

jcboy wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

How so?
the argument is that capricious government is an assault upon constitutional society, and thus as upholders of the Constitution SCOTUS has jurisdiction to forbid it. SCOTUS can rule that while the Senate has the power to set its own rules, it does not have the power to change them without following its own rules for doing so.

Nuclear option

Quote:
The nuclear option, called the constitutional option by some proponents, is a generic term for a set of parliamentary maneuvers used in the United States Senate to achieve approval of certain motions by a majority vote, rather than the "super-majority" required by previous Senate rules and precedents. The nuclear option had arisen in reaction to the frequent use of Senate rules by a minority of Senators to block consideration of a nominee for an Executive Branch or judicial position (or less frequently, a bill or resolution). Between the 1970s and 2013, threats by the majority party to use some version of what is now known as the nuclear option resulted in some changes to Senate rules and practices to limit opportunities for blocking nominations, without actually invoking the nuclear option itself.[1] In November 2013, Senate Democrats used the nuclear option to eliminate filibusters on executive branch nominations and federal judicial appointments other than those to the Supreme Court.
Before November 2013, Senate rules required a three-fifths majority ("duly chosen and sworn"[2] -- usually 60 votes) to end debate on a bill, nomination or other proposal; they also require a two-thirds majority ("present and voting"[2] -- 67 or fewer votes) for a change to the Senate rules. Those rules effectively allowed a minority of the Senate to block a bill or nomination through the technique of the filibuster. This had resulted in a de facto requirement that a nomination have the support of 60 Senators to pass, rather than a majority of 51. A three-fifths majority is still required to end debates on legislation and Supreme Court nominations.
In most proposed variations of the nuclear option, the presiding officer of the Senate would rule that a simple majority vote is sufficient to end debate, and if the ruling were challenged, a majority would be required to overturn the ruling. This would mean, for example, that 51 Senators who favor a nomination could use their majority to uphold the presiding officer's ruling that only 51 votes are needed to end debate and proceed to a final vote, and once the 51 had voted to end debate, they would then have sufficient votes to confirm the nomination. This would end what had effectively become a 60-vote requirement for confirmation of an executive or judicial nominee, or the passage of legislation.
Some variations of the nuclear option involve changing the Senate rules themselves, while others would use the maneuver to create a new precedent for particular types of measures, by having a majority of the Senate uphold the ruling of the presiding officer that a previous rule or precedent is no longer valid.
hawkeye10

Sat 23 Nov, 2013 04:01 pm
@jcboy,
this post says nothing about my argument that SCOTUS has jurisdiction to review the nuclear option, and could conceivably have grounds to find it unconstitutional.

here is a link talking broadly about jurisdiction in this matter. not that SCOTUS will act of course after all the blow-back from taking bushvgore.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/clip/3806198
jcboy

Sat 23 Nov, 2013 04:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
What's the nuclear option?

Quote:
Is this constitutional?
Sure is. The Constitution doesn't say anything about Senate rules. It puts that power in the hands of senators and congressmen.
"Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings," according to Article 1, Section 5.
Senators are tasked with signing off on nominees in Article II, Section 2. But it doesn't say how exactly, which has led to a centuries-long debate on the matter.

Here's what the Constitution says about the president's power to appoint: "He shall have Power... with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the Supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments."
OK. Fine. There's nothing in the Constitution. But Senate rules are pretty clear on the 60-vote threshold.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sat 23 Nov, 2013 04:19 pm
Quote:
The debate between minority rights and majority rule continues as of 2010, in particular as it relates to filibustering in the United States Senate.[28][29] If the Senate voted on whether to change the cloture rule, only a simple majority would be needed to change it, though the attempt itself might be filibustered in an effort to prevent the majority from reaching a vote.[26] However, a possible paradox arises due to the presence of a rule that requires a two-thirds majority to change the rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Ballin

not allowing R's to filibuster the rule change is another possible grounds for finding the nuclear option unconstitutional, on the grounds that not following their own rules is a violation of constitutional order.
jcboy

Sat 23 Nov, 2013 05:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
I was busy making some fabulous homemade shredded chicken and bean burritos but you're wrong again.

A Constitutional -- Not a Nuclear -- End to Confirmation Filibusters

Quote:
With a simple-majority vote, the Senate acted to end the unconstitutional practice of allowing a Senate minority to keep critically important executive and judicial posts vacant for months and years. The Senate invoked a constitutional option -- not a "nuclear" one -- to end the 60-vote threshold required to end confirmation filibusters. The Senate action is a return to the constitutional governance of the Framers' design -- there is nothing "nuclear" about simple-majority votes.

Framers Intended Simple-Majority Confirmation Votes

The super-majority vote design of the Articles of Confederation failed badly. Thus the Delegates to the 1787 Constitutional Convention explicitly rejected general super-majority vote requirements for the Republic's second constitution. The Framers allowed only five explicit exceptions to Senate simple-majority rule: expelling members, ratifying treaties, overriding presidential vetoes, convicting on impeachments, and proposing constitutional amendments. Pursuant to Article II, Section 2, Clause 2, the Senate's advisory-consent votes are to be simple-majority votes. The Senate's job is to timely "ratify or reject" the Executive's choice of nominees by simple-majority confirmation votes.

You say possible grounds, everything is possible grounds.
0 Replies

parados

Sun 24 Nov, 2013 08:42 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
the Senate has the power to set its own rules, it does not have the power to change them without following its own rules for doing so.

Actually, it does mean they can change them without following their own rules since they can simply change the rules to say they can change the rules however they want.
parados

Sun 24 Nov, 2013 08:47 am
@parados,
By the way, the courts have already said as much with a lawsuit by common cause trying to end filibusters

Quote:
Moreover, Judge Sullivan concluded that, “to intrude into this area would offend the separation of powers on which the Constitutional rests. Nowhere does the Constitution contain express requirements regarding the proper length of, or method for, the Senate to debate proposed legislation. Article I reserves to each House the power to determine the rules of its proceedings…the internal proceedings of the Legislative Branch are beyond the jurisdiction of this Court.”

http://blog.heritage.org/2012/12/21/lawsuit-claiming-filibuster-unconstitutional-dismissed/
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 25 Nov, 2013 10:29 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
Actually, it does mean they can change them without following their own rules since they can simply change the rules to say they can change the rules however they want.

I don't buy that. If the rules have a process for changing the rules, and if the rules are changed without following that process, then I'd argue that the rules have not been actually been changed. And I would therefore argue that anything not done according to the "original unchanged rules" was legally invalid.

As soon as some corporation with the resources to pursue legal action is unhappy with something done by one of Obama's new nominees, it would be worthwhile for them to take this to court. It could well end up with the courts undoing every single thing that the Obama Administration does in the next few years.

It would be worth a shot at least. If the courts refuse to go along, then they refuse to go along. But the courts might actually object to the Democrats proclaiming that reality is whatever they say it is.

Aside from that, the Tea Party people should start thinking about which judges they would most like the Republicans to pack all the courts with once they take back the White House.
Rockhead

Mon 25 Nov, 2013 10:32 am
@oralloy,
"proclaiming that reality is whatever they say it is."

wait a minute...

YOU do that.

a lot...
oralloy

Mon 25 Nov, 2013 10:34 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
"proclaiming that reality is whatever they say it is."

wait a minute...
YOU do that.
a lot...

Meh. I'll edit in a better response.

Feel free to try to point out a single fact that I am wrong about.
Rockhead

Mon 25 Nov, 2013 10:36 am
@oralloy,
you little girls should do something more productive that clog up the internets...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Mon 25 Nov, 2013 10:36 am
@oralloy,
bullshit.

you posted that "you trash should not go around blah blah blah your betters..."

specifically, how am I trash?

and why are you better than me?
oralloy

Mon 25 Nov, 2013 10:42 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
specifically, how an I trash?

Because you run around falsely accusing people of your own dishonesty.

BTW, I edited out my standard cut-n-paste response to lowbrow hypocrisy, and instead invited you to demonstrate a single fact that I am wrong about.
Rockhead

Mon 25 Nov, 2013 10:43 am
@oralloy,
you are factually wrong in calling me trash.

and you are not better than I am...
oralloy

Mon 25 Nov, 2013 10:45 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
bullshit.
you posted that "you trash should not go around blah blah blah your betters..."

Yes, and then I decided it would perhaps be better to just invite you to show these imaginary falsehoods that you falsely accused me of.

Rockhead wrote:
and why are you better than me?

Well, for one, I don't go around falsely accusing people of dishonesty.
Rockhead

Mon 25 Nov, 2013 10:47 am
@oralloy,
yet you falsely accuse them of being trash...

that is dishonest in itself.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.95 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 03:07:09