Democrats May Forgo the Right to Block Future Republican Judicial Nominees

jcboy

Thu 21 Nov, 2013 05:44 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

This will be really handy once Jeb takes office.

Your IQ just dropped another 50 points. Who would have thought that was even possible.
farmerman

Thu 21 Nov, 2013 06:37 pm
@jcboy,
Jeb Clampett maybe, I think hes a GOP
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 21 Nov, 2013 07:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
They have the same likelihood or better chance at that goal then Jeb does being crowned emperor of the US (which you pretty much have been implying in almost EVERY post in this thread).

Wrong. Obama wasted all of his political capital throwing a tantrum about the NRA, and now he has nothing left to push any legislation in his second term.

After four years of "President Do Nothing", the voters are going to be more than eager to swap which party controls the White House come 2016.

As for any imperial nature of the next presidency, it isn't the Republicans who have just made it impossible for Democrats to oppose future Republican presidents.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 21 Nov, 2013 07:40 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
The Republicans have alienated Latinos, Women, Homosexuals, African-Americans and Scientists.

Wrong.

maxdancona wrote:
They don't have a chance in Hell of taking the White House in 2016.

Nope. Obama's gun control debacle has made it a virtual guarantee that the Republicans will take the White House in 2016.
oralloy

Thu 21 Nov, 2013 07:40 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
oralloy wrote:
This will be really handy once Jeb takes office.

Your IQ just dropped another 50 points. Who would have thought that was even possible.

Boy, my IQ is higher than you can count.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Thu 21 Nov, 2013 07:49 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Nope. Obama's gun control debacle has made it a virtual guarantee that the Republicans will take the White House in 2016.

We will see, won't we.

Just out of curiosity, what was your prediction in 2012?
oralloy

Thu 21 Nov, 2013 08:15 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

2016 is the first time I've ever made any such prediction.

I'm not sure this really counts as a prediction. Observing that something is clearly inevitable is not quite the same as making a guess about an eventual outcome.

But regardless, 2016 is the first time I've noticed such a clear outcome ahead, and thus the first time I've made such a "prediction".

It is possible that I would have been able to see the same outcome looming in 1980. The Democrats, with their uncalled-for lynching of Nixon, made the presidency so weak that Carter was also a do-nothing president.

However at that time my level of political awareness was very low.
maxdancona

Thu 21 Nov, 2013 08:37 pm
@oralloy,
We will see. I will have to remember to return to this thread in 3 years.
coldjoint

Thu 21 Nov, 2013 08:43 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:

If the Dems stay in charge there will be no free speech.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 21 Nov, 2013 08:48 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I actually say the same thing in many threads. I've been saying it ever since the failure of Obama's sinister gun control plot. So you should be able to find lots of instances of me saying it, no matter which thread you look in (at least if it is a political thread).

I don't actually predict that the Republicans will nominate Jeb, BTW. That's just who I prefer that they nominate. I like the Bush family. They are always a solid and reliable choice.

If the Republicans decide to nominate someone else, that person will also be swept into power as a result of Obama's gun control debacle.
maxdancona

Thu 21 Nov, 2013 09:01 pm
@oralloy,
I am a little surprised that you think "gun control" will be the issue that brings down the Democrats. That doesn't make sense. The vast majority of Americans don't consider gun control a very important issue. And, most people support stricter gun control laws anyway.

There are a relatively small group of people the are riled up against gun control. These are people who aren't going to vote for the Democrats anyway

This issue has no political significance (other than fundraising).
coldjoint

Thu 21 Nov, 2013 09:08 pm
Quote:
There are a relatively small group of people the are riled up against gun control. These are people who aren't going to vote for the Democrats anyway

You are completely out of touch.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 21 Nov, 2013 09:10 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:

Hopefully your immune system did too.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 21 Nov, 2013 10:08 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I am a little surprised that you think "gun control" will be the issue that brings down the Democrats. That doesn't make sense.

What will bring down the Democrats is the fact that Obama is not going to achieve any legislation in his second term.

The relevance of gun control is the fact that all of the political capital that Obama might have used to achieve domestic legislation in his second term, was uselessly wasted in a futile attack against the NRA.

If, instead of wasting all that political capital attacking the NRA, Obama had pushed for something he could actually achieve (say immigration reform or major environmental legislation), right now he would have another major success under his belt, and he'd have momentum going forward from that success.

Instead, he is not going to achieve a single piece of legislation in his second term.

Come November 2016, the voters are going to be bored with having a president who hasn't achieved anything since early 2010, and they'll put a Republican in the White House.

maxdancona wrote:
The vast majority of Americans don't consider gun control a very important issue. And, most people support stricter gun control laws anyway.

This issue has no political significance (other than fundraising).

That isn't true. The NRA has the power to decide any election in a rural district, and that gives them the power to decide who controls the House of Representatives.

The NRA is not necessarily opposed to Democrats controlling the House, so long as those Democrats don't pursue gun control, but the NRA will crush any party that tries to violate the Second Amendment.
maxdancona

Thu 21 Nov, 2013 10:41 pm
@oralloy,
The NRA has quite a bit of power in gerrymandered conservative districts. This doesn't translate into a presidential election.

Quote:
Instead, he is not going to achieve a single piece of legislation in his second term.

You are going to hear the term "Republican Obstructionism" quite a bit between now and 2016. Whether voters punish Obama or the Tea Party nationally for the gridlock remains to be seen... but as a partisan Democrat I am feeling pretty good about 2016. Part of the calculation the Democrats made before triggering the nuclear option was that the public was going to accept the argument that it was necessary due to the fact the Republicans are blocking everything. We will see whether this was a good calculation in the next couple months and years.

When I step back and look at the politics in a non-partisan way, I am still surprised out of all the issues you would pick gun control (which non-partisan polling outfits like Gallup put at the bottom of the list of things voters care about).

There are several possibly effective lines of attack available for a Republican campaign to use against the Democratic nominee. Gun control doesn't seem like one of them.
oralloy

Thu 21 Nov, 2013 11:23 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
The NRA has quite a bit of power in gerrymandered conservative districts.

Gerrymandering has nothing to do with it. The NRA has massive power in all rural districts.

maxdancona wrote:
You are going to hear the term "Republican Obstructionism" quite a bit between now and 2016. Whether voters punish Obama or the Tea Party nationally for the gridlock remains to be seen... but as a partisan Democrat I am feeling pretty good about 2016.

The Republicans are not responsible for Obama's decision to uselessly waste all of his political capital on a futile attack against the NRA.

maxdancona wrote:
Part of the calculation the Democrats made before triggering the nuclear option was that the public was going to accept the argument that it was necessary due to the fact the Republicans are blocking everything. We will see whether this was a good calculation in the next couple months and years.

The public is not even going to notice, pro or con.

If you can't already see that the Democrats just made a huge mistake, you'll see it once the Democrats are unable to block any Republican nominees.

maxdancona wrote:
When I step back and look at the politics in a non-partisan way, I am still surprised out of all the issues you would pick gun control (which non-partisan polling outfits like Gallup put at the bottom of the list of things voters care about).

There are several possibly effective lines of attack available for a Republican campaign to use against the Democratic nominee. Gun control doesn't seem like one of them.

The relevance of gun control is that Obama wasted all of his political capital in a futile attack on the NRA, and now he isn't going to achieve anything in his second term.

The line of attack will be: "President Obama has sat around doing nothing for more than six years. Let's elect a Republican so we can get something done."
oralloy

Thu 21 Nov, 2013 11:39 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
maxdancona wrote:
You are going to hear the term "Republican Obstructionism" quite a bit between now and 2016. Whether voters punish Obama or the Tea Party nationally for the gridlock remains to be seen... but as a partisan Democrat I am feeling pretty good about 2016.

The Republicans are not responsible for Obama's decision to uselessly waste all of his political capital on a futile attack against the NRA.

Look at it this way:

The reason there was no gun control is not because the Republicans blocked it, but because the NRA blocked it.

The reason there was no big environmental legislation is not because the Republicans blocked it, but because the President was too busy waging a futile war against the NRA to pay any attention to the issue.

The reason there was no immigration reform is not because the Republicans blocked it, but because the President was too busy waging a futile war against the NRA to pay any attention to the issue.
maxdancona

Fri 22 Nov, 2013 06:44 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
The reason there was no gun control is not because the Republicans blocked it, but because the NRA blocked it.

That doesn't even make any sense.
woiyo

Fri 22 Nov, 2013 07:32 am
@tsarstepan,
You opinion is duly noted. I can see your limited breadth of knowledge and experience when you can so very neatly wrap the Republican Party will the so called Tea Party into one nice little bundle. Makes it easy for you.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 22 Nov, 2013 08:04 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

We will see, won't we.

I love this question, Max.

And I damn near busted a gut laughing at the response.

I guess some people think they can sell anything!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 10:42:44