Breeders of Miniature Poodles in USA

Miller

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:14 am
Is it my imagination, or is there a shortage of both breeders and of miniature poodles in the USA?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,908 • Replies: 11
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 06:07 pm
No shortage. See: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=%22miniature+poodle+breeders%22+AND+%28%22United+States%22+OR+US+OR+USA+OR+America%29&btnG=Search
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:46 am
I'm on a waiting list right now, but I won't know for sure what the real deal is including the price, for another 5 weeks. I've already put down a $200 deposit.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:52 am
Miller, have you looked for a poodle in your local animal shelter? I am a strong advocate of adopting unwanted and abused animals.

We have always adopted our dogs from shelters. Over the years, we've had a pure bred Shih Tzu, A pure bred Cocker Spaniel and last year we adopted a Pom-A-Poo.

Dogs from the shelters, whether they be pure bred or mutt are the most wonderful and loving companions you could ever want.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:00 am
Most of the poodles, up for adoption, are being advertised by the Poodle Rescue Society.

I've tried to contact them on several occassions and have, so far, never received an answer to either my e-mail or snail mail.

This organization wants a payment of $200 and you must pass a home visit.

I hesitate about getting an older dog from the shelter. You don't know their history and you don't know what you're getting yourself into.

Poodles, if not bred very carefully, can have many illnesses, that don't start to show up till mid life. These diseases can be very expensive. A case in point, an MRI costs $2000, and an adult visit to the VET for 15 min is $45.

These items add up and thus, one needs to proceed with caution before obtaining a dog, especially a poodle.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:09 am
I hear what your're saying Miller. I don't know much at all about breeding dogs...especially poodles. (Which, BTW, happens to be my favorite breed).

I must say, most dogs in shelters are not older dogs. Each one we have adopted were less than a year old. Each one of the dogs was the result of people purchasing the dog from a breeder, then deciding, after a short time, they didn't want a dog as much as they thought they did.

I just hate to see more dogs being bred, sold, then ending up in animal shelters only to be killed if they are not adopted. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:12 am
I'm against the use of homeless dogs for experimental medicine. That thought just breaks my heart.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 08:21 pm
Miller, don't know where you live but I know of at least two breeders of minis up here around Winnipeg. Maybe even three.

Three years ago, we purchased Mini Max from one of them. He's a purebred, but not a show dog. He has a wonderful temperment, kudos from everyone, the vet, who can't believe how calm he is, to the dog groomer who visits every 6 weeks, who says he's the only poodle she can stand ...

We chose a poodle solely for allergy concerns, not because we liked the breed, but he's the love of our lives.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 06:27 am
mckenzie wrote:
Miller, don't know where you live but I know of at least two breeders of minis up here around Winnipeg. Maybe even three.

Three years ago, we purchased Mini Max from one of them. He's a purebred, but not a show dog. He has a wonderful temperment, kudos from everyone, the vet, who can't believe how calm he is, to the dog groomer who visits every 6 weeks, who says he's the only poodle she can stand ...

We chose a poodle solely for allergy concerns, not because we liked the breed, but he's the love of our lives.

Have you by any chance got links to their sites? Or perhaps their phone numbers?

Thanks!
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 06:31 am
Hey i saw a miniature colliein costa rica.About the size of a large angora kitten.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 01:19 pm
Miller, I'm not aware that either has a website. I will send you Iris' full name and phone number via PM. She is the breeder who sold us Maxie. She lives in a small community about 50 miles north of Winnipeg.

The first breeder we contacted breeds chocolate minis, CKC/AKC registered and priced accordingly. We wanted a pup in the spring for housebreaking reasons, but she wasn't going to have pups available 'til the fall, so she put us in touch with Iris, who had purebred apricot mini pups available that spring.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 03:45 am
Thanks, McKenzie.
0 Replies