quinn1

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 07:03 pm
Ive got to admit, there is nothing like the first blooms here in New England. After such a cold long winter, the site of a wee bit of green just excites you. I think new plants doing well is a wonderful thing anytime, anywhere but, I think everything the Spring Flowers promise of whats to come has got to be one of those great 'take time and smell the flowers' moments.

Anyone else feel that way?

Ive been jealous of my neighbors crocus the last couple weeks and put freesia bulbs into a pot hoping for something pretty of my own. Perfect timing...2 weeks and Im feeling better already...wee little green sprouts brightened up my morning and even larger wee sprouts this evening...ahhhh. the simple Joy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,276 • Replies: 20
No top replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 07:07 pm
What made you decide on fresia?

I call them 'my little green babies'. Hello, my name is kris and I'm a plant addict. No, NOT weed. I just spent another 50 bucks on plants for a property that I don't even own. Sigh.

The crocuses I planted 2 years ago are finally putting on a good show! They're adorable.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 07:05 am
Crocii...

And squill making the brown lawn blue.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 07:39 am
I have fond memories of a few springtimes in New England. Lovely.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 08:55 am
Fresia is my favorite scent. When I went to get a new pot for the Jade...the bulbs jumped out at me and well, now they're here.
Its okay k, we're here for ya Wink I think its nice that you have little green babies.
Hey, the Clematis I planted three years ago should be nice this year---unfortunately I planted it on the back fence and the higher the forest grows out of control, the harder it is to see. I get a nice glimpse of a bloom on occassion though. I guess those little moments are worth it--owning the property or not.

SP...nice. Lovely to see color again aint it?

edgar, yep it has its good points. Glad you have some fond memories.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 03:57 pm
:-D We have purple crocuses that are starting to come up. And I just started some herbs in pots; hopefully they'll start to sprout soon.

Plus we have the usual house plants. Our Christmas Cacti are blooming now, which I suppose makes them Easter Cacti. Plus the enormous spider plant remains outta control. :-D
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 08:13 pm
I planted winterberry, bunchberry, pompom anenome, lily-of-the-valley and moved around some plants (celendine poppy and random columbine).

I tried pruning some of the browned leaves off the rhodies. I dunno what'll come back and what's gone for good. Just when I think I have them figured out, I'm wrong.

I love and want squill and snow drops.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:44 pm
herb pots are usually a nice little thing to do, and they usually work just fine without a great deal of grooming--good luck with them Jes. If your Spider Plant is any reflection--I think you'll be well herbed.

k---you always take such care in all the stuff you plant and care for, I think its fabulous. Its certainly not you..its NE...once you think you know how to care for something the seasons run completely opposite and throw ya. Nothing really you can do about it except go with it.
Snow drops are nice. Whats Squill?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:50 pm
Will try to find a pic of squill...

I am going to find something evergreen that is hardy to zone 4. That ought to take care of my problems...... Even inkberry got nailed. So sad.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:51 pm
squill:
http://www.gaygardener.com/gardenspot/gsimages/s-squill.jpg

also want to plant:

Chionodoxa luciliae
http://www.horticopia.com/hortpix/pix/U4O5M2.jpg

grape hyacinth
http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/extras/images/52dividingbulbs10.jpg

and wood hyacinth
http://members.cox.net/vmonte/wood_hyacinth.jpg
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:51 pm
dang..going to 4 really narrows it, doesnt it?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 08:05 pm
going to 4 does thin the options out, but I don't want evergreen plants that look like hell from february to june.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 08:11 pm
Yeah, I can see your point there.

Like the hyacinth myself but, okay..yeah..squill..didnt know the name before. kewl.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 08:13 pm
unfortunately these common names get confusing. I thought squill was scillia, but the wood hyacinth is also scillia. There are even cross-breeds between different bulbs AND they all come in a variety of shades.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 08:27 pm
Yeah...I was surprised to find the variety in Clematis alone but,happily so since I planted one of each blooming time and in different colors. Unfortunatly so far, only the mid-blooming purple has gone well. The early blooming white has done okay, and I never did see the late bloomer at all.

Just find pretty ones.
Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 08:28 pm
clematis is amazing. the late blooming one was the easiest I thought..... hmm.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 08:33 pm
Interesting. LOL.
Well, you know my yard...its amazing anything grows. Well, grows to a nice item I guess Id have to say. Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 08:37 pm
mmm, maybe the weed growth by the end of the summer is a bit too much for it. I've only been to your house a couple times - and only saw the back yard once. And that once was at that cabana boy party (oy). So.....
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 10:02 am
Yes, well..imagine the cabana party in knee high weeds. Not that it would be all that noticable after a while Wink
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 10:07 am
You'd have to check your cabana boy for ticks...
0 Replies