Thief Returns Car After Receiving Text Messages

quinn1

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 06:57 pm
Quote:

SYDNEY, Australia (April 8) - A distraught woman used cell phone text messages to persuade a thief to return her car.

Lee Alaban, 34, of Port Macquarie had her Holden Commodore sedan stolen while she was at work on March 30, The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported Wednesday.

Her 13-year-old son's cell phone was in the car, so Alaban sent text messages to the thief. She explained that the car was a gift from her father shortly before he died and that presents for her son's birthday, which was on the following day, were in its trunk.

''We exchanged a number of text messages,'' Alaban told the newspaper. ''He started apologizing and I felt I was getting through. Next thing, I got this text saying he will return the car.''

The thief wrote another text message telling her where to find the car, which he abandoned in a parking lot - but not before stealing the cell phone and the birthday presents.

Alaban was so pleased to get her car back, she even sent a final tongue-in-cheek text.

''If I ever lock myself out of my car, I'll send you a message,'' she wrote.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,953 • Replies: 16
No top replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 07:05 pm
Ha, I love Aussies.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 07:06 pm
Yeah, it just wouldnt work around here would it?

Guess it depends on the Mom though.

Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 07:08 pm
I don't know that it'd depend on the mom. Maybe.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 07:23 pm
I used to chat with Aussie teenagers on Napster when it used to be the thing to do. I always found them to be very nice, funny, laid back people.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:22 pm
Aww, that woulda been a nicer story if the thief didn't steal the kids presents, though! Smile
I met a person last night who, as a repair technician, speaks with people all over the world, and she said we Americans have a very different attitude and phone manner than anyone else she deals with, and not in a positive way. Sad
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:46 pm
The phone conversations I've had with Americans have been very pleasant.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 08:49 am
Ive got to say that after putting in my time with a catalog sales business-most people are nice on the phone. However, it was very odd to be able to tell that the worst people to deal with were always from certain areas.
0 Replies

leeala

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 01:47 am
this story is about me,hi from aussie land!
Good day guys! This is my first visit here.
The surprise one gets when they do a word search on their own name,well thats what i did and found quite a few stories about my car getting stolen.My son never did get his presents back, but he still had a good day..he got to stay home from school and was with me the whole time i was txt messenging the car thieves and when we went and got my car back,i dont think he will ever forget that birthday.I got to speak to a lot of people about the story and even a radio station in america(sorry i cant remember which one) and the guys i spoke to were great fun and fantastic to talk to.I still have my car and its powering on.
Have a good one,
later, Lee Alaban. Very Happy
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 02:17 am
Wow. Congrats on getting the car back, Lee! Cool

Welcome to A2K! Very Happy
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 08:53 am
Wonderful news, and great feedback from the source. Now if we could have just gotten some birthday presents for her son...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 09:14 am
Fantastic!

Welcome L

Joe
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 03:23 pm
far out Smile it is a small world we live in Wink
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 03:26 pm
Lee it's a thrill to have you comment. We in America were enthralled with your story.
0 Replies

leeala

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 12:48 am
Thanks fortune.
i think i was just very lucky.
The way the media blow the story up was more amazing to me then actually getting the car back. There must not have been a lot going on in the whole at that stage.
0 Replies

leeala

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 12:53 am
Gee thanks everyone!
I just went to my next page and saw more messages. And hey my son did ok for his birthday, a few radio stations sent him some cd's and all the family got together and we all had a top dinner out. im glad you all enjoyed the story.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 04:00 am
these real life stories are what its all about lee Exclamation Very Happy
im so glad your story had a happy ending Smile
may it continue to do in the future too Very Happy
0 Replies