A2Kers...DO YOU GET TIRE OF THE SAME POSTERS?

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 02:49 pm
Bib, we will take that up at the next group meeting.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 03:16 pm
Thanks Maple - my paranoia levels have just risen a bit. Shocked
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 04:02 pm
Nope, can't think of anyone I'm fed up listenin' to. It's always been my policy to bear fardles without scorn and in turn say nice things about everyone. Here's a for instance: JoanneDorel is very clever, witty and -- considering she remained on Abuzz after running across pueo -- incredibly tenacious. Now you see, just a simple thing like that, costing me very little effort or time, will likely make JD feel good all day.

Shucks, Bib, keep yer pecker up. Smile
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 04:40 pm
hahaha Smile Razz Razz Razz
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 06:18 pm
There are members who participate heavily in some forums, but others are found in other forums. I frequently become involved in a thread in which the interaction includes a new-to-me-member. I appreciate, even if not always agree with, the generally civilized posts characterizing this web community. It is fascinating to read along as an idea or issue is debated, criticized, expanded upon, and even sidetracked among several points of view.

The members with whom I am most familiar naturally are those with whom I interact most frequently. The threads which are most likely to attract my attention frequently capture the attention of many of the same folks who populate the earlier threads which have captured my attention, something which stands to reason. Becoming increasingly familiar with someone's screen persona over a succession of posts, building a mental picture of the human behind the avatar and cyber-personality, is great fun. So is encountering a member previously unknown to me.

I'm all for "new members-new blood", and I'm sure new members will continue to find their way to A2K. Some certainly will become part of "The Regular Crowd", some won't. I think it good to engage new members in an encouraging way, to help them feel comfortable enough with the site to wish to continue to participate.

At present, fewer than 150 members, out of over 400, list a dozen or more posts. Of the first 150 Members to join A2K, over a period of a couple of months or so, from Mid-September to Mid November, nearly half have contributed a dozen or fewer posts. The latest 150 members have joined in about the past 3 weeks, and 25 or more are already involved in a dozen or more threads. It sure seems to me this is a functioning, diverse, growing cyber-community. To my experience, nearly any thread is likely to at some point involve a newcomer, and by visiting different forums and looking in a variety of topics, I've come across many new-to-me A2K-ists. The whole assortment is why those of us who keep coming back do so in the first place, isn't it?

timber
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 06:27 pm
WoW Timber great stats.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 06:42 pm
Timberland: nice analysis. :wink:

By the way, your signature says that "Murphy was an optomist." I can tell you from first-hand experience, having worked with Murphy in the Aircraft Industry that, he never produced an original thought or a positive suggestion when he worked with me! Smile
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 07:14 pm
We do have a good mix here, but I like seeing newcomers also. As timberlandko pointed out, it seems like there are a few who do the majority of the posting. And they do a splendid job, I might add! But I think we'll see others come on board who will become familiar names. It just gets more and more interesting!
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 08:44 am
I got to know who to avoid on Abuzz, but here I'm happy to see everybody, because they're all the people who were kind, intelligent and friendly. None of the crazies have posted, so I assume the moderators are canning them if they try. It's very relaxing to post here, and fun to see so many new names. When I have more than a few minutes each day to play here, I look forward to actually being more than several dozen's worth of posts.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 09:16 pm
JoanneDorel wrote:
But I love meeting new comers, right now we have a lot of regulars and sometimes I worry that our clubishness is well offensive. If you really look at some of our interactions it is as if we have known each other forever.

Joanne was a kind and wise person.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 02:39 pm
timberlandko wrote:
There are members who participate heavily in some forums, but others are found in other forums. I frequently become involved in a thread in which the interaction includes a new-to-me-member. I appreciate, even if not always agree with, the generally civilized posts characterizing this web community. It is fascinating to read along as an idea or issue is debated, criticized, expanded upon, and even sidetracked among several points of view.

The members with whom I am most familiar naturally are those with whom I interact most frequently. The threads which are most likely to attract my attention frequently capture the attention of many of the same folks who populate the earlier threads which have captured my attention, something which stands to reason. Becoming increasingly familiar with someone's screen persona over a succession of posts, building a mental picture of the human behind the avatar and cyber-personality, is great fun. So is encountering a member previously unknown to me.

I'm all for "new members-new blood", and I'm sure new members will continue to find their way to A2K. Some certainly will become part of "The Regular Crowd", some won't. I think it good to engage new members in an encouraging way, to help them feel comfortable enough with the site to wish to continue to participate.

At present, fewer than 150 members, out of over 400, list a dozen or more posts. Of the first 150 Members to join A2K, over a period of a couple of months or so, from Mid-September to Mid November, nearly half have contributed a dozen or fewer posts. The latest 150 members have joined in about the past 3 weeks, and 25 or more are already involved in a dozen or more threads. It sure seems to me this is a functioning, diverse, growing cyber-community. To my experience, nearly any thread is likely to at some point involve a newcomer, and by visiting different forums and looking in a variety of topics, I've come across many new-to-me A2K-ists. The whole assortment is why those of us who keep coming back do so in the first place, isn't it?

timber

any updates from Timber?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 07:55 pm
Lessee here - in early October of 2003, we had somewhere around 350,000 posts, distributed among a bit fewer than 5,000 members. In early October last year, we had something like 25,000 members, and around 750,000 posts. At present, we're closing in on 50,000 members and 1.6 Million posts. Well over 1,000 members have contributed 50 or more posts apiece, several hundred have contributed 100 or more posts apiece, a couple hundred or so have contributed 2,000 or more posts apiece, and around 80 have contributed more than 5,000 posts each. A few dozen have passed the 10,000 mark, the top ten most prolific posters each have contributed in excess of 20,000 posts apiece. The top 5 are responsible for nearly 140,000 posts, with the leader tallying more than 30,000, and I ain't even in the top 20.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 08:02 pm
Dang!! Talk about having their mojo working, eh? Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 08:03 pm
I get tired of that guy edgarblythe sticking his nose in and generally brings the thread to a screaching halt.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 08:10 pm
yeah..
what about that crass little bi*ch.. whats her name. .. something.. wolf i think.
oy vey
annoying woman,
she always wants to have the last word on a thread
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 08:17 pm
Laughing Whole buncha threads close with a timber comment, now that you folks mention it Laughing

A fair number of the surprisingly few topics timber's started have gone pretty much nowhere, too Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 08:24 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
she always wants to have the last word on a thread

No ya didn't.... Laughing
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 08:31 pm
How about the Interprid guy. I close my eyes every time I see one of his posts.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 08:34 pm
Naw, he usually hangs out on those threads. You know, the P & R ones. :wink:
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:01 pm
Or that Lady J broad....geez...even Lady J gets bored with Lady J! Smile Most of the other posters, Lady J adores! They just don't know it....
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 12:55:23