Would you ever illegally squat in an abandoned building...

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 01:15 pm
Would you ever illegally squat in any of these abandoned buildings or other "places" for a month or longer for the adventure of it and the bragging rights?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jeremybender/creepiest-places-on-earth
http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/the-33-most-beautiful-abandoned-places-in-the-world

If I could rig running water I'd try living in Maunsell Sea Forts, North Sea. If I could get electricity I'd move there for a several months. Cool
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2013-10/enhanced/webdr01/15/14/enhanced-buzz-22315-1381860954-4.jpg

Are there any intriguing abandoned buildings, facilities, etc... that you've been dying to explore? In your town or city? That you come across in your travels?

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 02:30 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Would you ever illegally squat in any of these abandoned buildings or other "places" for a month or longer for the adventure of it and the bragging rights?

Sure. Especially if I was homeless and looking for a dry place to sack out.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2013 06:06 pm
I am an old hermit named Dave
I've lived all alone in a cave.

Rap
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 05:12 am
@tsarstepan,
Are you thinking of setting up another Sealand?

Quote:
Sealand was founded as a sovereign Principality in 1967 in international waters, six miles off the eastern shores of Britain.

http://www.sealandgov.org/about
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 05:18 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Would you ever illegally squat in any of these abandoned buildings
or other "places" for a month or longer for the adventure of it and the bragging rights?
NO. I can think of NO reason
to brag about doing such a thing.

David
timur

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 05:30 am
Tsarstepan wrote:
Would you ever illegally squat..

Is there a legal way to squat?
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 05:46 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:
or other "places" for a month or longer for the adventure of it and the bragging rights?
David

Uh oh.
The humour police have arrived.

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 05:47 am
@timur,
Only when camping. Even then you should clear up after you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 06:01 am
Not really on topic, but it reminded me--has anyone here seen Pirate Radio? Great flick . . .
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 06:20 am
@Setanta,
Good film.
I used to listen to the real thing(s).....Radios Caroline, Luxembourg and London under the covers at night.

Trailer......

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 06:23 am
@Setanta,
Yes sir. Great and not so well known flick. Another great job by Philip Seymour Hoffman.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 06:30 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Are you thinking of setting up another Sealand?

Quote:
Sealand was founded as a sovereign Principality in 1967 in international waters, six miles off the eastern shores of Britain.

http://www.sealandgov.org/about

No. I'm thinking about creating a low budget floating version of the underwater city of Rapture. Razz
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 12:02 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:
David

Uh oh.
The humour police have arrived.

It was supposed to be funny ??

I had a professor in college, a very pleasant fellow,
Eric Shmerz (approximate spelling) who actually did
something similar to that for a week. He was on TV.
I thought the poor fellow had lost his mind.

David
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 07:26 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Well David, the idea behind this thread and the idea behind urban exploration is the risk and the adventure of doing something that's mischievous, a little dangerous, and a touch on the eccentric side. It's kind of putting oneself into a low budget action thriller ... say a personal Indiana Jones but without the actual goal of discovering an all powerful artifact and also without the cameras and million dollar crews for support.

I doubt I'd ever get the courage in actually do something like this... not with a compatriot and accomplice who would be the devil on my shoulder urging me to take a little chance to enter this misadventure oh and that he or she would share the planning and follow through. Likely to never happen. Just daydreaming that's all.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 07:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
Actually, a lot of us are considering homelessness, so this isn't an ammusing idea.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 07:58 pm
@ossobuco,
sorry for misspelling amusing.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 08:27 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Actually, a lot of us are considering homelessness, so this isn't an ammusing idea.

I presently am living in a precarious temporary housing situation. I am fully aware of a possible homelessness situation. Doesn't mean I can't squelch that worry with a little pleasant day dreaming.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 08:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm not arguing, that you can play with that idea, or live it out. For you, Tsar, I think things will go well.

I'm on tenterhooks myself, have a lot of fear.
I could squat in the pertroglyphs and get eaten up, not too far to walk to. The ick factor is in my way.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 08:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'd do it without hesitation. Need a roof over my head, shelter from the elements. Not terribly far fetched idea either since as a kid I used to run away from home and live in an old railroad hut along a line which no longer ran (the picture you have of the abandoned railroad depot seems rather luxurious in comparison).
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2013 11:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Well David, the idea behind this thread and the idea behind urban exploration is the risk and the adventure of doing something that's mischievous, a little dangerous, and a touch on the eccentric side. It's kind of putting oneself into a low budget action thriller ... say a personal Indiana Jones but without the actual goal of discovering an all powerful artifact and also without the cameras and million dollar crews for support.

I doubt I'd ever get the courage in actually do something like this... not with a compatriot and accomplice who would be the devil on my shoulder urging me to take a little chance to enter this misadventure oh and that he or she would share the planning and follow through. Likely to never happen. Just daydreaming that's all.
OK, Your Highness; I remember u as a nice guy
and I don't want u to get hurt. (Perhaps u 'll remember
that Indiana Jones was not so injudicious as to explore
without having his revolver immediately at hand.)
If I were still a citizen of NY, I 'd invite u to more
of those dinners; u were good company.

David
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Would you ever illegally squat in an abandoned building...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 11:29:52