Being Born in the USA

husker

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:19 am
What are the advantages to being born in the USA or coming to the USA over the rest of the planets humanity? For all the good and bad are we looking a gift-horse in the mouth? IMO being born here and visited outside the US, being born here is a tremendous advantage by world standards. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,746 • Replies: 19
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:27 am
It means I can become president.

For those of you who aren't planning be elected, I don't tihnk it makes much of a difference.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:30 am
ebrown_p wrote:
It means I can become president.

Damn, Boss, you must be really rich . . .

. . . i had no idea . . .
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:38 am
crap - I didn't want this to get turned into a political brewfest - we have enough of them here.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:44 am
That's two examples of light humor, Husker, no political flaming here . . .
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:46 am
Setanta wrote:
That's two examples of light humor, Husker, no political flaming here . . .

I know but you never know who is gunna post in after that...... :wink:
Cause you were born here you have some voice - ever how small Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:47 am
well, on something more important, i can get a small delicious vanilla malt at a Dairy Queen and I dont even have to leave my truck. Is this a great country or what?

and
we dont get a lot of fog like Canada
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:00 am
What exactly does "brewfest" mean?

Somehow this sounds like a good thing-- like something I might want to be a part of. If there are enough of them, why haven't I been invited?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:01 am
An accident of birth....
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:06 am
I doubt there is much of a "tremendous advantage" over say... being born in Canada, western Europe, Japan, Australia or New Zealand. The playing field is probably about on par for any of those.

Seems like more of an "Industrialized nations" vs. the 3rd world sort of imbalance.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:11 am
For some reason when I visit Canada - I feel less free.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:14 am
Probbaly not much different that going to a new aquaintance's house. Until you learn the rules and know what they are comfortable with it just doesn't feel the same as "home'.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:24 am
husker wrote:
For some reason when I visit Canada - I feel less free.

Ironically, at least twice in our history, people who were born in the USA had to go to Canada to be free.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:52 am
fishin' wrote:
I doubt there is much of a "tremendous advantage" over say... being born in Canada, western Europe, Japan, Australia or New Zealand. The playing field is probably about on par for any of those.

If you were talking about naturalization through being born in those locations, I dunno about the others but you can't get citizenship by just being made in Japan. So for those from 3rd world countries there would be a big advantage to being born in the US over, eg., Japan.
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:21 am
we have a stable gov. ,a decent economy, variety in products, more freedoms than any other country, etc. Grrr, America is evil, grrr. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:26 am
Monger wrote:
If you were talking about naturalization through being born in those locations, I dunno about the others but you can't get citizenship by just being made in Japan. So for those from 3rd world countries there would be a big advantage to being born in the US over, eg., Japan.

Yeah, I wasn't really looking at things from a legalities perspective. I was just considering day to day life - things like the ability to live in a a relatively decent home, have access to food, water, health care, access information, etc..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 12:48 pm
. . . the ability to be foolish on-line when you're supposed to be working . . .

Oh, hey, Boss, i didn't hear you come in. This, oh . . . uh, trying to find some pricing for power supplies, it's easier on-line . . . uh, yeah . . . yessir, i'll get right on it . . .

Uhh . . . gotta run guys . . .
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 01:32 pm
Setanta wrote:
. . . the ability to be foolish on-line when you're supposed to be working . . .

Oh, hey, Boss, i didn't hear you come in. This, oh . . . uh, trying to find some pricing for power supplies, it's easier on-line . . . uh, yeah . . . yessir, i'll get right on it . . .

Uhh . . . gotta run guys . . .

I'm checking fedex tracking right now
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:08 pm
Husker, I'm curious?
What is it that you can't do in Canada? What is it about Canada that makes you feel less free? LOL
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:09 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
What exactly does "brewfest" mean?
Somehow this sounds like a good thing-- like something I might want to be a part of. If there are enough of them, why haven't I been invited?

LOL! Laughing
Yes, of course it's an advantage. A HUGE one. Even though other countries may have as many freedoms as we do, and some have better "benefits", we who were born here were very fortunate.
Do I really have to list reasons? There are other countries I would also enjoy living in, but overall, I feel fortunate to be here.
Okay, I'll try to keep my snide political aside out of this!
0 Replies