Satellite Dish, the big ones.

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 03:25 am
I know that the small satellite dishes are more popular because you get everything in one package and you only have to deal with one satellite, but are there still any benefits to having the bigger dishes?

I'd be interested in picking up TV signals from other states and countries, but I'm not sure if they scramble everything now.

Is there anybody here that still has the old fashioned dishes that can tell me why it's better than the small dishes?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,069 • Replies: 2
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 08:49 pm
The BUD, Big Ugly Dish, isn't dead, its just not moving very fast. Google "C-Band" and "4DTV", and you'll come up with more info than you need. There are both advantages and disadvantages to the big dish, apart from the physical size of the antenna. Equipment acquisition and installation cost can be scary, but programming costs are less than for small dish, though not by so much as to balance the equipment costs in any reasonable period of time. My BUD died during a big storm a couple years ago, and I just let it rest in pieces. The antenna basket makes a unique planter.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 09:32 pm
Thanks, that info helps a lot. I forgot about C band and I used to work at a Cable TV company many years ago. I wasn't sure if there was still any benefit to the big dishes. I know all about the small dishes.

I looked at one of the channel lineups. Do you have to pay extra for those broadcast channels like KTLA? and are the feeds for CBS open or do you have to pay extra for that too?
0 Replies