The Ultimate Rock Guitar

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:27 am
I'm looking at a Peavey EVH for a studio guitar. The Dimsbag is too clumsy in the studio. Don't dismiss the EVH unless you've played it. It's a great axe. Lots of tone, great neck and action, nice and simple. I don't like lots of knobs and pedals and stomp boxes and such.

Our bass player just bought a GL, and it's got gain for days. It roars.

One of our guitarists plays a vintage eighties Jackson, and the other plays a stock strat. I hate the way strats sound, but he's screwed around with his settings until he's added some balls to it. It plays well.
0 Replies

sparky

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:41 am
I put the vintage noiseless pickups in my Strat. A world of difference. It's a great recording guitar - covers all kinds of styles.

I saw a guy playing an EVH in a band in Florida. Sounded fine. Very versatile - they were covering everything from Van Morrison to the Offspring.

The guitarist in the 'rock' band that I'm in has a couple of late 80s Kramers. He swears by them. Of course, he's modified them extensively. Tweak, tweak, tweak. He'd still kill for a (lefty) Les Paul.

I did get to record with a studio Les Paul down in Florida a few years back. As I recall, it had the lowest action of any guitar I had ever played. No buzz. The engineer had the amp turned up all the way. The thing was ultra-thick. Yeah - very rock-n-roll.

Boo hoo. Now I want one even more.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:45 am
Have you ever played a dimebag? They are butta.....
and NOTHING can match it for stock, out of the box, plug it in crunch and gain...nothing. Neck is superb, action low, and with the extended neck you can use 11's if you want and stil bend all day. Thick. They are also Feitenized so if you still like to play with the whammy bar....it never goes out of tune.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:56 am
BPB, when are you guys goin on the road again?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:42 pm
we are working pretty close to home currently....played this past week, and are rehearsing and recording new material the rest of the month...doing a date with Warrant late April.....and then a few biker festival things in the works........Charlotte, Winston, Myrtle Beach, Raleigh, something upcoming in Columbia in the works.........basically we're getting new material together to shop labels and management and playing around home enough to keep it fresh and keep the chops up.......we are looking to tour in earnest come fall......

A couple of the guys and I are working with a couple other friends on a tribute act with the working name Rock Of Ages to make a little coin as a side project.....spandex, platforms makeup..the whole bit. The biggest problem for me is finding other musicians still thin enough to get in it....... :wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 02:02 pm
I'll bet
I used to be Mike Love in our tribute band cause of my hair line...now I'm Carl Wilson cause of my paunch
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 10:09 am
Yep, the 2nd pic is a Paul Reed Smith. Ted Nugent played the "Star Spangled Banner" using one on his reality show "Surviving Nugent". I posted a picture of that on his website and asked what kind of guitar it was.

NUGE himself reponded "it's a pissed off PRS having its period". Gotta love the NUGE.
0 Replies