The Ultimate Rock Guitar

panzade

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 12:59 pm
http://www.msnusers.com/MikeSchonbach/axes.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=2
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 01:00 pm
oh well, if you paste the url you'll see me playing my Tele B Bender.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 01:12 pm
4 strings are better 'an 6!
back in the day i had a 'rick' like this...
http://www.4bitter.com/musical/rick/4001_01.JPG
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 01:19 pm
I think Entwhistle turned me on to that axe....maybe
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 01:23 pm
the ox had quite an axe collection...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 02:21 pm
Here ya' go panzade.

http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0RwAAAPYV2CIHOJtP9iK8u4qqWRnYwWJ1n!I6R84wpCpJjLtEkTEaWd2dPrECr7!I*l2KMaZOlpbelbR*ci6aDk5CS56GiTGf52CHT4CclG8/Guitman.jpg
0 Replies

sparky

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 02:41 pm
The ultimate 'rock' guitar? I'd have to go with the Les Paul. Sling it low and it just bleeds rock-n-roll. Nothing else looks so good or tough slung low.

However, for all-around guitar, I like the Strat. They're more affordable and easy to modify.

Personally, I've got a 1984 Ibanez Destoyer II that absolutely rocks. All black and pointy - weighs about 400 pounds. I've got a Strat too, but it doesn't feel quite as 'rock-n-roll'.

And you bass guys Wink - similar arguments for the Ric and the Jazz bass. The Ric is great but a little pricey. The Jazz just works everywhere and for everything, it's within most budgets and can be modified without much effort.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 10:04 am
There's a timely piece this morning in my local paper regarding the Fender Stratocaster. What's not shown in the online article is a "brief history of rock 'n' roll's most storied guitar."

Did you know that in 1954 the newly introduced Stratocaster retailed for $249.50 US? That is, apparently, about $1500.00 US in today's currency.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 10:05 am
Rory Gallagher
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 10:10 am
Thanks CJ...bless your pointy little head.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 10:14 am
Whooooooaaaaa! Sparky

Au contraire mon frere.

I've tried a lot of basses, but for all around sound and bottom...my '64 Precision is the king.

BTW -I play it through a modified Showman with 2 JBL 15's
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 10:38 am
Dave Gilmore of Pink Floyd at least I think I remember it as good Shocked

I love this thread so many good ole memories.

Waylen was a good one he could really rock & roll.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 10:44 am
Pssssssst Joanne, here's the king of guitars thread you're looking for:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22386&start=30
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 10:45 am
Oh dear so caught up in past times I forgot where I was.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 12:04 pm
I got my Les Paul used, in my youth, for $545, from a guy who just didn't play anymore. Aside from some 'character marks' from the pick on the pickups and regular wear and tear marks on the bridge, it is in nearly mint condition. If I'm not mistaken, cjhsa's second pic was a Paul Reed Smith? Those are great guitars, but sadly, too often handled by really crappy bands, just because they show up nice in videos and photographs. I believe crap-ass Canadian 80's band Strange Advance used Paul Reed Smith guitars....such a travesty, I tell you. Carlos Santana has one of the prototype models, and still swears by it.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 12:29 pm
I remember when I lived in Annapolis in the 70's, walking into his shop by the main square and thinking:"This guy's never going to make it"
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:03 pm
panzade wrote:
Whooooooaaaaa! Sparky

Au contraire mon frere.

I've tried a lot of basses, but for all around sound and bottom...my '64 Precision is the king.

BTW -I play it through a modified Showman with 2 JBL 15's

The Precision is better balanced for holding A and dancing......
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:08 pm
Bah, when I'm in the old folk's home one day, I'll brag about the hump in my back and say "Yeah, it's because of all those nights I roared onstage with my Les Paul."
0 Replies

sparky

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 09:08 pm
panzade,

I've got a '94 p-bass (Made in Mexico - avoid made in Mexico if you can). It's a bit neck heavy for me - I've done a lot of recording with it. I've got an '02 Ibanez SR800 that is balanced better - I use it live. I'm budgeting for a J-bass now. Can't decide between the American Standard and the Geddy Lee model (made in Japan). The GL model has the thinnest neck. Plays like 'butta'.

Some day, when the stars align, I'll get a Les Paul. I know it's an expensive hobby, but (as I tell my wife) at least I don't collect cars.....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:40 am
Everybody has different needs on a bass. I played my '71 Jazz for 15 years and because it has a natural finish it's a heavy hunk o' wood. I started getting neck pain and I had to put it down. It also had a slimmer neck but I found that I wasn't playing very fast and the wider Precision neck wasn't an impediment.
0 Replies