Proof read my paper?

Maltman

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 09:03 pm
This is a 'research paper' I was assigned by my professor. It's not really a true research paper because she basically had us pick from 5 articles and talk about it, like the purpose, hypothesis, methods, results, etc.

Below is the rubric of the paper, please let me know if it flows or if anything needs to be changed or if you need the article.

HDF100: Research Report Guidance:
Read the study completely. You must use one of the articles provided in class. Do not do your own research for this paper.

Paper format:
• Title page including:
Your name and class name (HDF 100) in the upper right corner
Title centered in the middle of the page, You can use the title of the article or make up your own title.

Body of paper 3 pages, double-spaced, 12 point font, Times New Roman. The paper needs to be at least 3 full pages. The title page or reference sheet does not count in the 3 page total. Please leave all margins 1" (2.5 cm). If you are a PC user please save your paper as a word document. If you are a Mac user please save your paper as a PDF, before uploading it to blackboard to submit.

• Attachments
A. Reference for the research article (sample below) The reference page needs to be on its own page.

B. Do not copy this reference; use this as a guide when writing your own from the article you chose.

Mayhew, M. J., & Fernandez, S. D. (2007). Pedagogical practices that
contribute to social justice outcomes. Review of Higher Education,
31(1), 55 – 80.

B. Rubric

• Brief quotes from the study may be used with citations (APA) , such as (Mayhew, p.5), but footnotes are not necessary. MOST OF THE PAPER SHOULD BE IN YOUR OWN WORDS. There will be a deduction for overuse of quotes.
1. Introduction: This section should include the topic and an explanation as to why it is important or interesting to explore (1 + paragraphs).

2. Statement of hypothesis that clearly explains what the researcher predicts.
If they do not state a hypothesis, do they infer a hypothesis? (1 + paragraphs)

This section clarifies the author’s purpose for conducting the study, and states what is being researched.

3. Identify what methods (sample and measures) were used to gather data.

4. Identify the results of the research study. Summarize the results from the study.

5. Conclusion: The final section should summarize insights from the study: what was liked or disliked about the study reviewed, how the research could have been done differently to better meet certain needs, the importance of study, etc. (See rubric) You may use I statements in this section but not in any other section of your paper.

Every day, weather one is at the super market or just taking a stroll in the park, it’s more than likely that one is going to witness a parent scolding their children. The child may be crying, throwing a tantrum or simply whining to the obviously annoyed parent. The parent may then threaten the children verbally by saying, “Stop now! Or you’re not getting a toy and/or dessert!” Or, one may see the parent physically punish the child by spanking them on the butt, or slapping the top of their wrist when they reach for something fragile. To another adult they may see this as a cultural norm- it’s just something we do in America to scold our children. However, the parent or bystander adult may not know what affects these physical and verbal aggressions have on the child. The effect of parental aggression towards children is important to explore because it has detrimental effects of the children that the parents may or may not be aware of. It’s critical that we study this matter further, so we are aware of the harm that may be accidentally done to children and so we can take a step forward to preventing this in the future.
The purpose for the article is, “To further explore the effects of verbal and physical parental aggressions toward children and compare verbal verses physical aggressions and weather or not the aggressions have a negative effect on the children’s academic achievement or self-esteem (Solomon & Serres, 1999).” The methods used to measure the study were conducted in a classroom. Researchers conducted their questionaries’ in four public schools to children in the fifth grade on the matter of verbal or physical abuse. This age group, nine to eleven years of age, was specifically chosen for two main reasons. One is that the child is able to read and clearly understand the question given, and two; the child is not as likely to wish a negative response toward their parent and/or guardian.
Two types of measures were taken while the research was conducted. “The Harter Self-perception Profile for Children (SPPC) is a self-report questionnaire designed for use with 5th and 6th grade children measuring several aspects of children’s self perceptions and was used to evaluate the children’s self-esteem (Solomon & Serres, 1999)” The second measure, “ A self report questionnaire, the Children’s Perception of Parental Verbal Aggression (CPPVA) was constructed for this study and used to determine whether the children had been subject to verbal aggression, physical punishment, or both (Solomon & Serres, 1999)” The SPCC was a questionnaire designed with “BUT” questions and asked the children to determine which is most true for them. The purpose of the SPCC was to determine a child’s self esteem. The CPPVA was a questionnaire designed with two statements that pertained to the study that asked the children to determine which statements that included, ridiculing, cursing, terrorizing, criticizing, and insulting, most pertained to them. For the purpose of the questionnaire not being completely directed toward aggression, other questions were asked that did not pertain to the research. These questions were not scored.
Researchers gained permission from the schools principal, and then parents to conduct the research on the children. Children who were allowed to participate were sent letters with demographic information concerning the family. Researchers gave the children proper instructions on how to fill out the questionnaire. The questionnaires were then given to the children, with reassurance that information they give would be confidential and if they had any further concerns or questions they could meet with the researchers.
Out of 144 children, six children never experienced verbal aggression or physical punishment. Thirty-four were targets of both types of aggression. Verbal aggression was found in connection with three of six parts of self-esteem. Verbal aggression was found in negative correlation with academics. Lower self-esteem and academic scores were in correlation to children with greater verbal aggression than those who had less verbal aggression (Solomon & Serres, 1999).
The conclusion of this essay was very insightful. I think that many parents do not realize the effects that they’re having on their children, what they’re teaching them, and what they may be influencing later on in life. Verbal aggression and punishment may seem to solve the immediate problem while walking through the grocery store, but does it really solve the problem? After reading this research article, the answer is no. Inflicting verbal aggression and punishment affects children in a psychological way. Yelling at a child because of low-grade marks in school does not raise the grade. Using reinforcement and a more positive child rearing method, the child will respond better to unwanted behavior and ultimately correct their mistake, and most importantly, learn from it. The research done here is crucial for the understanding and development of child rearing and child development. We as parents need to see and understand the extent of the influence that we have on the children in our lives.
For this research article, I would have done a larger study. This study was conducted with 144 French students in a specific area. If I could do something different, I would take this study and try to disperse it throughout the United States or across Europe. I feel like this would give more accurate results and a better understanding of parenting and child rearing techniques all across the continent or world. Also by dispersing the study in a broader range of people, we will be able to truly see the effects that verbal aggression and punishment have on children and how we can take the first steps to correct our mistakes.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,155 • Replies: 4
No top replies

neologist

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 11:58 am
@Maltman,
A lot to chew here. Forgive me for taking only one paragraph.
Maltman wrote:
Every day, weather one is at the super market or just taking a stroll in the park, it’s more than likely that one is going to witness a parent scolding their children. The child may be crying, throwing a tantrum or simply whining to the obviously annoyed parent. The parent may then threaten the children verbally by saying, “Stop now! Or you’re not getting a toy and/or dessert!” Or, one may see the parent physically punish the child by spanking them on the butt, or slapping the top of their wrist when they reach for something fragile. To another adult they may see this as a cultural norm- it’s just something we do in America to scold our children. However, the parent or bystander adult may not know what affects these physical and verbal aggressions have on the child. The effect of parental aggression towards children is important to explore because it has detrimental effects of the children that the parents may or may not be aware of. It’s critical that we study this matter further, so we are aware of the harm that may be accidentally done to children and so we can take a step forward to preventing this in the future.
'Weather' is a noun. 'Whether' is a pronoun. Spell check does not eliminate the horror of the homophone. Other comments in parentheses.

Every day, in parks and supermarkets, malls and other public places, one may witness parents scolding their children for offenses ranging from crying, throwing a tantrum, or whining. (best to include serial comma) The (beleaguered) parent may then threaten the child by saying, “Stop now! Or you’re not getting a toy and/or dessert!” Or, a parent may punish physically by spanking or slapping the wrist when the child reaches for a forbidden object. While some adults may see this as a cultural norm, thinking "it’s just something we do in America to scold our children", they may not understand what effects these physical and verbal aggressions have on children, (effects, not affects) effects important to explore because of possible detrimental consequences. It’s critical that we study this matter further, to be aware of harm that may be done accidentally to children and take a step to prevent future harm.

I consider the word 'aggressions' to contain sufficient emotional connotation to affect the scientific validity of the paragraph.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 12:50 pm
@neologist,
Impressed Neo by your willingness to take on even one para
neologist

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 01:13 pm
@dalehileman,
I have a true disdain for professors insisting a paper be of a certain length. I wonder if the paper's redundancy comes from stretching to fit the procrustean bed.

Also, I personally have issues with the apparent political correctness associated with modern child rearing technique.

But I thought it would be fun to try at least one paragraph.

You should come up to Seattle for a beverage break.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 04:44 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
You should come up to Seattle for a beverage break.
I presume with ref to The Brew. In my old age however Neo I deplore still more travel but thanks anyhow

This pm will devote a bottoms up to you and Seattle
0 Replies