Anybody up for boycotting Barilla Pasta?

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 04:29 pm
@InfraBlue,
in otherwords serving a bowl of noodles to their families is beneath women, they should rather be slaving for the corporate overlords, AKA leading an honorable existance.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 04:30 pm
Barilla is heavily featured at local Trader Joe's. It's not the only brand I buy, but it has been most prevalent in the kitchen. I'll complain to my grocers, and stop buying.

It was a shitty comment that I do feel is discriminatory.
firefly

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 04:41 pm
Well, Buitoni is trying to take advantage of Barilla's current woes. Smile
Quote:
Anti-gay remark hurts pasta maker
September 27, 2013

When pasta king Guido Barilla found himself pilloried on social media for saying he would never use a gay family in his advertising, rival pasta maker Buitoni was quick to capitalise.

A picture on its Facebook page from the inside of an open door featured the caption: “At Buitoni's house, there's a place for everyone.”

It was a stark demonstration of the rising power of social media; Barilla's comments to a medium-sized Italian radio station on Wednesday quickly became a global public relations disaster with a likely knock-on effect on sales.

The comments that he would “never” do an ad “with a homosexual family” to a station that has barely more than 2 million daily listeners spread like wildfire on Twitter and Facebook, sparking worldwide calls to boycott Barilla products on Thursday.

In his official apology, Barilla said he was sorry “if my words generated misunderstandings and polemics” and “if I offended some people”. He said he was trying to say “simply that the woman plays a central role in a family”.

The comments will weigh on U.S. sales in the short term, and Barilla's immediate response to the uproar was “muddled and odd”, Ashley McCown, a crisis communications expert at Solomon McCown in Boston, told Reuters.

“In the U.S. people want to feel good about the things they buy and who they buy them from.”

The privately owned Barilla company was founded by Guido's great grandfather more than 130 years ago and is the world's biggest pasta maker.

Seeking to boost sales outside of crisis-hit Italy, Barilla has recently focused on expanding in the U.S., its second biggest pasta market, by introducing microwaveable meals and more ready-made sauces.

His radio comments came after the interviewer asked him about allegations this week from Laura Boldrini, president of the lower house of parliament, that Italian advertising was full of gender stereotyping.

Barilla, whose ads often picture mothers serving their families at the dinner table, disagreed, and was then asked whether he would feature a gay family.

After saying he would not, he spoke at length about his belief in the “classic family”, adding however that he supported gay marriage, which is illegal in Italy, but not adoptions by gay couples.

In the U.S., gay marriage is now legal in 13 states and, unlike in Italy, the gay rights movement continues to build momentum and break down barriers.

“I'm Italian, I'm gay, I'm married legally to a man, I have three adopted children. I had Barilla pasta for dinner last night. Today, tomorrow and forever more I will choose another brand of pasta. Good bye Barilla! You lose!!!” David De Maria wrote on Barilla's U.S. Facebook page.

SPAGHETTI IS STRAIGHT

The controversy generated several Internet satires. BuzzFeed featured a picture showing heterosexual couples lovingly eating pasta together with the words: “Spaghetti is straight”.

Another image posted widely on Twitter and Facebook showed the trademark blue Barilla pasta box with the letters “Bigotoni” on it, rather than “Rigatoni”.

While Barilla's comments were condemned by most, others said the gay community was over-reacting.

“We may not agree with him but he is just expressing his opinion and doing it in a respectful way,” said JasonD79, who said he was gay, in reaction to a news story on Facebook. “He is not saying gays can't work for them or anything, he is just saying he will not do an ad with a gay family.”

After its first apology, Barilla posted a second, more contrite version on its U.S. Facebook page several hours later that recognised that it may have offended some of its own employees.

“While we can't undo recent remarks, we can apologise. To all of our friends, family, employees, and partners that we have hurt or offended, we are deeply sorry,” it read.

Only time will tell how much the boycott will hurt Barilla, which saw profit tumble 21 percent in 2012.

“In the short term, it is a threat to sales. What's yet to be seen is, is there really going to be a long-term impact'” McCown said.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-barilla-pasta-boycott-20130927,0,1652350.story

There are also plans to contact supermarkets to try to get them to remove Barilla products from their shelves. I don't support that at all and I'd be quite upset if my supermarket did that. If some don't want to buy Barilla's products because of this flap, that's fine, but other shoppers are entitled to make different choices, which is why the products should remain available for purchase.
Quote:
GLAAD, an advocacy group for gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people, plans to contact U.S. supermarket chains and ask officials to speak out against Barilla's comments and in support of their own LGBT consumers, said Rich Ferraro, the group's vice president of communications.

Ferraro said GLAAD had also e-mailed Barilla an invitation to meet with LGBT community members "and get to know how traditional we really are." Ferraro's mother, Linda, launched a Change.org petition urging her neighborhood supermarket to drop Barilla from its shelves, said Ferraro.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/09/26/barilla-boycott/2877487/

Another of Barilla's competitors, Bertolli, might pick up more business, they released a commercial in 2008 that featured a gay couple.

I don't think Barilla will follow suit anytime soon. But, as cultural mores continue to evolve and change, the next generation in the Barilla family might have a very different, and more contemporary, outlook concerning both the place of women, and the notion of "family", than the ones at the helm now. Barilla is a privately owned family corporation, and change is more likely to happen with the younger members in that family, just as it happens in families everywhere on the globe.

Meanwhile, there's still no evidence that Barilla is doing anything to disadvantage homosexuals in any way. But that won't stop LGBT activist groups from milking the free publicity they are getting out of this and using it to promote their own issues and agenda--and that's really what this is all about--increasing the visibility of these groups, and getting attention to affect public and political opinion. Barilla's ads really don't matter.

contrex

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 04:51 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Well, Buitoni is trying to take advantage of Barilla's current woes.

Their products are even worse than Barilla's. This is like Burger King saying "We hate faggots" and getting a lot of hostile tweets and MacDonalds saying "Proud to introduce the InTheNavyBurger (TM)" and KFC saying "Colonel Sanders swang both ways with his KrispyWings family bucket, special offer all this week".

In other words, the whole thing is a pile of horse ****.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 05:15 pm
@Lash,
Just for what it's worth, when I cook pasta, it's Dreamfield. Way lower on the glycemic index.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 05:36 pm
@firefly,
shelf space is locked by contracts, I doubt the bullies can get stores to drop the brand immediately because stores operate on very low margins and can't afford to break contracts. most people are completely ignorant of how grocery stores operate, what customers say they want to buy matters little, the combination of how much they actually buy and the amount the distributor is willing to pay for shelf space decides what is stocked.
roger

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 05:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
Also, most people are likely to be completely unaware of whatever the current issue happens to be.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 05:56 pm
@firefly,
That lecture is about civil rights, not the topic of this thread. We are, though, talking about a pasta purveyor and how we take his comments.

None of us are talking about anyone's civil rights to be in pasta ads.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 06:02 pm
@InfraBlue,
Of course it's an issue there and elsewhere.. She's a rights activist, good. A right to be in commercials? not the subject here. Some conflating going on, probably there and here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 06:07 pm
@firefly,
Aha, if I remember, way back when, Bertolli was and may still be very active in California (Oakland?), fairly, even very, inventive fellow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Bertolli

I ate at his restaurant (guest of others) once, good says ms. picky, back when he was chef there.

I'm no use to him, don't buy packaged ital food.
I would like to try some of his efforts at salumi making, (or Mario Batali's father or is it uncle's, up in Washington, but the postage on that kind of thing is prohibitive.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 06:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, I'm with Contrex, Buitoni?

I'm too invested in this topic. Need to go read about something else.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 07:38 pm
@roger,
I am sure that store personnel love this new trend of people sucking up their time bitching about politically incorrect food that is sitting on the shelves. in the case of Barilla they should be instructed to respond " help yourself to one of the other 5 brands of pasta we stock, and please, have a nice day!" this particular bullying should not be encouraged.
jcboy

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 07:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
Actually, a call for a boycott can be effective to some degree: from the Barilla FB page, “At Barilla, we consider it our mission to treat our consumers and partners as our neighbors with love and respect and to deliver the very best products possible. We take this responsibility seriously and consider it a core part of who we are as a family-owned company. While we can’t undo recent remarks, we can apologize. To all of our friends, family, employees, and partners that we have hurt or offended, we are deeply sorry”.

Seizing on comments made by Barilla's chairman about how the company would never put gay couples in its advertising, Bertolli Germany quickly posted pro-gay imagery in its social feeds, happily taking advantage of its rival's misstep. "Love and pasta for all!" reads the caption on the Facebook photo above. "We just wanted to spread the news that Bertolli welcomes everyone, especially those with an empty stomach," a rep for Orca im Hafen, Bertolli's social-media agency in Germany, tells AdFreak. So far, Bertolli has not taken similar steps in the U.S., but the brand has been gay-friendly here for years, too. Check out the spot below from a couple of years back.

That’s where my money will go.

Bertolli Makes the Most of Barilla Chairman's Anti-Gay Comments
ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 08:33 pm
@jcboy,
Hi, JC. Good choice. I've no idea if he has pasta, except in the prepared section of the market, but his other efforts like working up a reputable balsamic vinegar and good salumi seem quite worthwhile.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 08:36 pm
@jcboy,
That mea culpa was from Barilla US, not Barilla headquarters. The US marketers may be a bit more sensitive to the impact of a boycott than corporate. It didn't seem that the chairman was at all too concerned. His "explanation" only added fuel to the fire.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 08:36 pm
@jcboy,
lets be sure to also boycot all of the restaurants that use this brand of pasta MKay. is there a list for us? gotta be consistent in our outrage you know, make sure that no politically incorrect food passes our lips......

for the record my restaurant uses Italian American Pasta Company pasta, so I am good.
jcboy

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 08:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

lets be sure to also boycot all of the restaurants that use this brand of pasta MKay. is there a list for us? gotta be consistent in our outrage you know, make sure that no politically incorrect food passes our lips......

for the record my restaurant uses Italian American Pasta Company pasta, so I am good.

I have no idea which restaurant use MKay but those that allow patrons to toss peanut shells on the floor are on top of the list.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 08:49 pm
@jcboy,
but you are going to ask before you order right? and if you are in a Italian food joint and that is their only pasta you are going to give them an earful and then walk out, right? how ever could you live with yourself if you did not? this company has 25% of the US market, avoiding them is going to take some work.
jcboy

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 08:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
Really? 25%? Are you talking about restaurants or super markets?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2013 09:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I am sure that store personnel love this new trend

nothing new about it

I've been aware of food boycotting personally for at least 35 years and from reading I've learned about earlier efforts.

Customers have always let vendors know what they like and don't like - primarily with their wallets.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:39:42