how to go darker

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 12:29 pm
I have naturally dark hair, about a level 4. very flat brown. I wanted blonde highlights to brighten my look now that I'm getting older. I had them lighten my base first before the highlights because I thought it would be less contrast. The color they suggested was a 6 neutral warm. It made my hair too orangey, brassy. The highlights are a bout a level 9 or 10 golden blonde. I am very unhappy with it and would like to try to cover it with a light brown all over hair color. However, I think the blonde streaks will turn grey or green because they are too light. I was thinking I would use a red protein filler, then a brown haircolor. My concern is the base already being to brassy, and the filler worsening that even after coloring it with the brown? Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,137 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 03:40 pm
@stacyl141,
Based on the sort of question you're asking and the complexity, I think it'd be wise to seek out in person a trusted hairdresser whose expert in color changes.

Firstly, why would you take such a risk of messing it up by attempting it yourself?

Secondly, why would you trust total strangers with advice like this? I don't think that is a wise idea.

Lastly, I could be in error, but I know of no professional hair colorists here on A2K.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 06:16 pm
What you need is a toner to remove the brassy color.

Find a blue/purple toner. You can get those easily at a sallys store. I would say go with the purple to get rid of the brassy color the best and to even out the color you have now.
Then get a dark protein filler for the rest of your hair and add it to your regular shampoo , or just put it in your hair before you shower. Try not to get it into your highlights though.. it wont remove them exactly, but it can cause them to tint slightly.

If the only problem is the unbalanced brassy color, a toner will fix that and you will have the color you wanted in the first place.
im surprised your hairdresser didnt inform you of that first...
Having more than one color in your head requires a bit of home maintenance to keep up with.

I know.. I have black hair and a 3 inch thick white streak. It takes work every week.

You HAVE to use a toner every 2 weeks or so to keep that color balanced and keep away the brassy color. Just using a purple tone conditioner isnt enough.
0 Replies