Britian's crime rate is SO BAD compared to US?

Baldimo

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 02:58 pm
@izzythepush,
You would be surprised Izzy. Regardless of the UK's higher violent crime rate, I would still come on over. I happen to love the Brit's and their culture. Got a room I could use?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 03:01 pm
@Baldimo,
For what?
Baldimo

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 03:03 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm coming to visit so you can see what nice guy I am.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 03:17 pm
@Baldimo,
A nice guy who doesn't impose?
Baldimo

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 03:24 pm
@izzythepush,
Wink
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 03:26 pm
@oralloy,
So your claim was self evident because you had nothing to support it?
parados

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 03:27 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
It related similar types of crime

And then states you can't rely on that because reporting methods are different.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 04:36 pm
@parados,
I am just going to post here to see if you convince the gun nuts that the article they posted said you couldent use the posted figures.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 04:39 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Your recollection is no kind of evidence,

Well at least you've finally stated an accurate fact. But I'm not sure what significance there is to the fact that my recollection is not evidence.

Setanta wrote:
and you recall what you want to believe for polemical reasons.

No, I recall what the stats were, because that is what the stats were.

Setanta wrote:
Your "numbers are numbers" is meaningless unless you can provide those numbers,

Not at all. It was a reasonable debunking of your claim that the numbers were some sort of reflection of my own views.

Setanta wrote:
and, as always, you don't provide any evidence at all.

Wrong again. I am nearly always willing to back up what I say with evidence.

This case is an exception simply for the fact that I don't feel like tracking down something I saw 10-15 years ago.
oralloy

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 04:41 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
So your claim was self evident because you had nothing to support it?

No. A claim is self evident because it is something that is clearly true to everyone.

There is no such thing as a claim I can't support (presuming we are talking about my own claims).
parados

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 04:59 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

No. A claim is self evident because it is something that is clearly true to everyone.

Doesn't that mean that when at least 2 people don't think it is true then it is no longer self evident?

Or does your memory still trump facts in evidence?
oralloy

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 05:17 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Doesn't that mean that when at least 2 people don't think it is true then it is no longer self evident?

No.

parados wrote:
Or does your memory still trump facts in evidence?

My memory is seldom in conflict with any facts. And never on an issue of any importance.
parados

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 05:56 pm
@oralloy,
If it isn't "clearly true to everyone" then it isn't self evident according to your definition. So your claim wasn't self evident so by what you stated about that, you would be able to support it.
Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 06:08 pm
@oralloy,
I suspect that you can't track it down--but it doesn't matter. You have provided no evidence so there is no reason to take your claim seriously.
oralloy

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 06:18 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
If it isn't "clearly true to everyone" then it isn't self evident according to your definition.

If someone denies something that is clearly true to everyone, I blame the person, and not the fact.

parados wrote:
So your claim wasn't self evident

I don't know. Which claim are you asking about?

parados wrote:
so by what you stated about that, you would be able to support it.

I am capable of supporting all of my claims.

I can think of one claim (relating to the A-bombs at the end of WWII) that I would need to direct people to a book instead of posting a link. But most others I think I could support with links.
oralloy

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 06:20 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I suspect that you can't track it down

Why, have government agencies started blocking access to crime statistics?
Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 06:37 pm
@oralloy,
If you can track it down, by all means post it here. Until that happens, i will continue to think of you as i always have, a bullsh*t artist who never backs up his claims.
oralloy

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2013 07:17 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
If you can track it down, by all means post it here.

It takes more than can. It takes a willingness to actually do it.

Setanta wrote:
Until that happens, i will continue to think of you as i always have, a bullsh*t artist who never backs up his claims.

Your denial of reality does not change the fact that I routinely back up my claims.
Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 02:47 am
@oralloy,
You do not routinely back up your claims. In fact, you so rarely back up your claims that i can't recall your having done so within the last several months, if not years. Stop lying.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 03:05 am
@parados,
Quote:
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps591f9e2e.jpg
Data from March 2013. Most recent data.
This article presents recent statistics on on crime and criminal justice for the European Union (EU). Statistics currently available reflect the diversity of policing and legal systems within the EU.

Comparisons of crime statistics between Member States should therefore focus on trends over time, rather than directly comparing levels between countries for a specific year, given that the data can be affected by a range of factors, including different levels of criminalisation, the efficiency of criminal justice systems and police recording practices; furthermore, it is likely that a relatively high proportion of crime remains unrecorded. Work is in progress to improve the comparability of crime statistics across the EU Member States.
Source