pueo

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 04:43 pm
my girls have been wanting a dog, my girls are still young, 6 & 5 years old. i wanted a dog that would be low maintenance because i want my girls to take care of it, and not so large to handle.

so anyway, someone i know had dachshunds for sale. i was given (not sold Very Happy one) a male.

anyone have any experience with this breed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,085 • Replies: 37
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 04:59 pm
Italian or German? um and then perhaps Chorizo?
yeah anyway growing up we had 3 of the little buggers and they like to dig and chew but make pretty good house-dog pets.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 05:09 pm
I think fishin has experience....
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 05:12 pm
Hey pueo! My sister and I had a dachshund when we were kids ~ his name was Tuna Fish (don't know why, so don't ask!) and he was great!

Just do me a favor ~ don't teach him to sit on his hind legs to 'beg'. Dachshunds have bad backs (like shephards have bad hips).

Hi dys!
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 05:16 pm
hey rae, (it rhymes Laughing ) what about making it sit on it's front legs?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 05:18 pm
If you can make it sit on its front legs, I want a picture!

By the way, have the kids named 'it' yet?
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 05:27 pm
i think the chosen name is lucky.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 05:37 pm
Lucky.

I like it! Very Happy
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 08:54 pm
I had some friends who bred them. They're nice little creatures generally. Watch Lucky's diet too. They get into some serious health problems when they become little porkers.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 08:57 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Italian or German? um and then perhaps Chorizo?
yeah anyway growing up we had 3 of the little buggers and they like to dig and chew but make pretty good house-dog pets.

i think chorizo would be about right, the locals eat a lot of that. maybe i should suggest to my girls to change his name.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 08:59 pm
Definitely a breed that needs training and a disciplined owner. They can be a bit, well, bossy and nippy. My aunt used to breed 'em. Lovely dogs when they understand that they are NOT the alpha.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:02 pm
ohhhh - and whether they are short or long-haired, their grooming needs to be tended to regularly. Their ears need to be checked regularly as well.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:05 pm
thanks ceili and beth. things to let my daughters know.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:09 pm
They can be wonderful little dogs. I would suggest that one of the adults in the house take the lead in training, with your daughters also participating. The lines of command have to stay the same throughout the pack, or the little dackle will figure out that he's got a chance at dominance.

soooo, if the current chain of command is mom, dad, daughters - the new chain should be mom, dad, daughters, dog - with the mom being top dog. Dogs are very smart about sussing out pack dynamics.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:13 pm
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/dachshund.htm

the personality/training comments are right on - based on the dackels i've known (and loved, in all cases except one)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:17 pm
http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/dachshunds.html

I'd definitely take a look at this site. There are some important cautions about training there.

Quote:
Mind of his own. Dachshunds are not Golden Retrievers. They have an independent mind of their own and must be taught at an early age that they are not the rulers of the world. The toughness that makes them suited to killing vermin can frustrate you when you try to teach them anything. They can be manipulative, and some are willful and obstinate. You must show them, through absolute consistency, that you mean what you say.

Quote:
Defensive reactions. BUT...you need to be careful with your corrections. If you need to physically chastise a Dachshund, and you go beyond what THEY believe is a fair correction, in my experience this breed is more likely than many other breeds to growl or snap. It may be because they were bred to become more fierce when their prey fought back, i.e. Dachshunds are apt to "return pain" if they "receive pain." As an obedience instructor, I'm always extra careful when putting my hands on a Dachshund for a correction.

and this is ultimately true ...

Quote:
He becomes very attached to his owner and firmly believes that sleeping under the bedcovers is in the Dachshund Bill of Rights
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 09:46 pm
yikes! a miniature dictator.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 11:23 pm
Yep - I have known some VERY nasty ones - and also some delights. Stay on top! Be firm but fair.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 12:49 am
Heck, I've got half a dozen dogs with those traits ... and a couple of 'em run upwards of 150 pounds. The key is to make clear to them you're the Alpha, and rule #1 is as long as the Alpha is not upset, life is pretty damned good. Rule #2 is see to it the Alpha doesn't get upset. Of course, as the Alpha, you've got to learn to not get too upset about stuff like a chewed shoe or a hole dug in the flower bed ... let it be known you don't appreciate it, but don't let it be a crisis. Oh, and never take the pup for granted; when its just not being bad, let it know thats appreciated, when it does good, let it know that is really appreciated.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 02:25 am
pueo

I know much more about cats than dogs, so I can't offer you words of wisdom in regard to Lucky. But I do want to say that I'm pleased that your daughters now have a pet to live with & love. Very Happy All children should have the opportunity to do this. It's really wonderful for them. Good for you!
0 Replies