How would you cease youtube videos from downloading automatically?

Owuwe

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2013 09:43 pm
When you view a video on youtube you know, should you pause the video the video continues to down load the rest of it. I find that this may use up rather a lot of my bandwidth. Is there any way to ensure that should you click pause, youtube won't download any more of the video to shift youtube options? Is there maybe a software or addon I can down load to manipulate youtube settings even? I am using Firefox.

jespah

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 06:32 am
@Owuwe,
Youtube is played on its own site. It isn't downloaded to your computer at all - you just view the videos on the youtube site, much like you are viewing the text here.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 06:48 am
Jespah, perhaps you, as is the case with so many netizens, are unaware that Youtube down loads legions of miniature, virtual succubi onto your computer while you are watching those evil, evil videos.

They can also see you through your computer screen.

jespah

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 06:56 am
@Setanta,
That explains who came into my house, ate all the ice cream, and voted Republican last year.
Debacle

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 08:38 am
@jespah,
Guess you know you didn't have any chocolate syrup. Evil or Very Mad
panzade

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 08:55 am
You guys made my morning. Thanks for the laugh. Very Happy
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 09:00 am
@Debacle,
Yeah, well, you helped yourselves to the mini marshmallows, I noticed.
Debacle

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2013 03:52 pm
@jespah,
Marshmellows? I thought them were jawbreakers. Family hairloom, were they?
jespah

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 07:13 am
@Debacle,
I didn't get a chance to go shopping.

I'm so embarrassed!
0 Replies

Peter Frouman

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2013 03:34 am
@Owuwe,
Are you sure that the Youtube videos are still auto buffering when paused? That used to be the default but Google changed it awhile back when they switched to adaptive streaming. I just tried it (on both Chrome and Firefox) and the buffering only occurs while playing. If you change the quality of the video, buffering may occur on pause but that is apparently not the default.

You may want to try something like the Chrome Flashblock extension. This will block Flash from automatically loading on any site unless you click on the flash icon in the Flash content area or add the site to a white list of sites where Flash is allowed. While it doesn't do exactly what you want, it could help you use less bandwidth. There is a Firefox Flashblock add-on but I haven't tried it so can't vouch for it.
0 Replies