What is it like to have a learning disability

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 05:10 pm
I saw this video posted in an education forum today and thought it was pretty cool. In the video the presenter takes a group of people through some exercises to help them understand what school is like for a kid with a learning disability.

I thought it might be interesting not just to parents and teachers but to anyone interested in cognitive science. It's a very interesting presentation.

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 06:52 pm
@boomerang,
I've only listened to about ten minutes of it and already want to share it with my dementia caregivers support group. There is a lot there that will be helpful to us too. Thanks for finding and sharing it, boomer.
boomerang

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 08:33 pm
@Butrflynet,
I'm glad you checked it out and I hope it can be of some help.

I remember how frustrated my mom would get when caring for my dad. She knew he wasn't doing things on purpose but it was just so, so hard.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 08:42 pm
@boomerang,
Yeah, me too with my mother.

A similar but different attempt at increasing understanding re disability: a pal of mine (we were design students together and rose in age and grace, career wise) ended up teaching at our school. I can't remember the exact class, but he had made the land site design students get around the big and not flat campus in wheel chairs, the idea being for them to be wiser about the problems of it all.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 08:46 pm
One thing that he said in the presentation that really rang a bell with me is the distinction between not paying attention and distractability -- that one is paying attention to nothing and one is paying attention to everything.
0 Replies