DSL vs dialup vs ??

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 05:50 pm
First of all, let me confess up-front that I don't know squat about this subject. What I do know is that I have dial-up access via an internal 56kb modem using Earthlink as my internet provider. It usually takes several tries to get connected to the internet, and then only at 37.3 kbps (which they don't have an explanation for).

What other options are there? I see commercials for DSL, but don't really know what it is. Is it like a separate phone line that is always connected to the internet?

Is there such a thing as cable access too? (I don't even have cable TV, since we don't spend much time at all on the boobtube.)

Are there pros/cons that a newbie like me needs to know....like security issues for instance? I have Norton security products, and it seems like every couple of weeks I get messages about some bad-guys trying to add "trojan horses" and stuff like that. Are the prices of alternatives pretty high in comparison? (I spend $27.00/month on Earthlink now).

If anyone can put some simple answers in simple language for me, I'd be grateful. Or, if you can point me to a credible site to do research on my own I'd be happy to do that too. I just plain don't know where to start, but am getting really fed up with the bad connections I get now, only to end up with "support staff" who know less than I do - and that doesn't seem possible!!!!

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 799 • Replies: 2
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 07:29 pm
DSL service essentially "piggybacks" on a regular phone line, letting that line serve both voice and broadband independently; you can have one phone line, one phone number, your 'puter is online all the time (if you want it to be), and your voice phone works just as it always did. Typically, DSL will offer nominal throughput speeds of 512 down and s56 up, though there are other configurations, depending on what your DSL pprovider offers. If you have, or have considered, a separate phoneline for your 'puter, to keep your voice line free during those long surfing sessions, you'll probably find DSL service amounts to pretty close to the same money considering the cost of a second phoneline and the cost of a standard dialup internet account together. Given the speed advantage, DSL comes out way ahead of dialup if you're a heavy 'net user.

Cable internet is provided over the same system used for cable TV, and while it usually is bundled with cable TV service, it can be standalone in most markets. Cable internet usually is nominally faster than DSL, though if the circuit you are on has lots of users, a bunch of whom are prone to be online at the same time, or a few of whom generate particularly heavy traffic themselves, slowdowns can be noticeable.

Either DSL or cable are orders of magnitude better than dialup if you do much more than simple web browsing and emailing. Not all areas are served by DSL or cable; check your local phone book for internet service providers to see what is available to you, or check online for broadband providers serving your neighborhood. As far as security goes, its really no different no matter what sort of connection you use. A current antivirus is a must-have, you should have a decent firewall, and an anti-spyware app is a good thing to have.

A good website for further research into broadband options is BroadbandReports
0 Replies

2wheelingwoman

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 07:31 pm
Wow - I went to the site you recommended, and everything I'd need to know seems to be there! Awesome. Thanks so much for the helpful overview and the resource. I really appreciate the assistance.
0 Replies