Freeze homemade ravioli, or cook fresh?

Omaesis

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 11:58 am
I am so eager to buy a ravioli maker, you know, one of those ice cube tray looking ones. I already have a pasta maker to roll out the dough, and I have tons of ideas for filling! My question is for anyone with experience in making their own ravioli - do you think it's better to freeze the ravioli after making it, or to cook it right then and there? The only reason why I'm asking is because I know freshly made pasta dough doesn't take very long to cook, so I'm wondering if the filling wouldn't heat all the way through if it was something that was cold. But I guess that also brings up the question, if I freeze ravioli made of uncooked dough, is that a problem?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,698 • Replies: 2
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 12:59 pm
@Omaesis,
Yes, you can freeze uncooked. (ever see packages in the grocery store?)
Just be sure to package well and plan to eat it within a month.

I like to cook ravioli in a flat pan, but others prefer a big pot.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2013 04:30 pm
@Omaesis,
When I was growing up, one of our favorite and most often requested special dinners were fresh homemade ravioli and sauce from a retired neighborhood entrepreneur. Mrs. Molino's raviolis came in a box the size of a small pizza and we'd buy several boxes of them, one to cook that night and the others for the freezer. She made them in her home kitchen and people would drive up the long driveway to their house to pick up their orders.

I don't remember there being much difference in the two.

Believe it or not, her business is still going strong more than 50 years later with the next generations of Molinos.

Here's a photo of her ravioli production from their website:

http://www.molinosravioli.net/image/39163998.png
0 Replies