Of Brunswick Sausage, and Oysters . . .

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 12:51 am
Well, i'm up too damned late by half . . . so, rather than stare at the clock face as 1:59 becomes 3:00 a.m., i thought i'd start a relaxed and gentle conversation, which will nonetheless treat of profound metaphysics.

Walter wrote the word Braunschweiger in a thread today. I do my shopping of a Saturday night or a Sunday morning, and chose Saturday night this week, as i have it on reliable authority that some establishment thief will rob me of an hour overnight. I bought two pounds of braunschweiger, which was on sale (two for four bucks, and i like the brand). I blame Walter--after all, Walter is easy-going and friendly, and so does not get blamed for much (at least around here, i cannot speak intelligently to the issue of life with Frau Walter).

Which sets me to thinking of food . . .

http://www5.herkos.rt-15-01.csuohio.edu/Carroll/pix/aa186.gif

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes . . . and ships . . . and sealing-wax. . .
Of cabbages . . . and kings . . .
And why the sea is boiling hot . . .
And whether pigs have wings."

Wouldn't a nice plate oysters Rockyerfeller be nice about now? How do you like yours?

"A loaf of bread," the Walrus said,
"Is what we chiefly need:
Pepper and vinegar besides
Are very good indeed . . .
Now, if you're ready, Oysters dear,
We can begin to feed."

Please avail yourselves of this thread to put down those profound, philosophical musings which occur to you, as you fumble for your coffee cup this morning, and ask yourself: "What the hell is he on about now?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,561 • Replies: 67
No top replies

McTag

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 01:33 am
"The further off from England,
The nearer is to France"

for sure

but I believe there is a fog in the channel today and so Europe is cut off. Again.

So let us "join the dance". Nice illustration , Set.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 01:40 am
"Braunscheiger Wurst" here in Germany (and I'm an expert, since a grand-aunt lived in Brunswick, and may home town is famous for having kicked of out the walls Duke Christian of Brunwick, "Mad Christian" for the Catholics, "the pastor's death" for the protestants).

What did I want to say.
Oh, yes, Brunswick sausage is not a liver sausage here, but made of ground (mostly porc) meat and produced in the categories fine and coarsely.

Here you get some additional pounds of the original stuff
http://www.volmer-wurst.de/b_streichmett.jpg
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 01:48 am
Oysters as plain as they come from the beds, please!

One of my great memories was of staying on a yacht, on one of the rivers just north of Sydney, in a national park.

The boys went out with buckets and screwdrivers, and collected oysters from the rocks - we had buckets and buckets full.

I sat on the deck, in myswimmers, with a bucket of oysters between my knees, an oyster knife and a glass of bubbly.

Pry open the oyster, slurp the contents, throw the shell overboard, slurp the bubbly. Take another oyster.....

Those present say the sounds made it memorable, little wimpers of joy, much slurping, and nothing else, face covered with oyster grit, look of bliss on face.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 01:48 am
There was an old man from Peru,
who dreamed he was eating his shoe.
He awoke in the night
with a terrible fright,
and found out that it was quite true.

I changed the original thought-of version of the limerick a bit, since otherwise you would have noticed at once that I was referring to Set.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 02:03 am
"But not on us, the oysters said,
Turning a little blue..."

can't remember the rest, but it is a delight
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 06:05 am
The Shank-Teeg arster, perhaps natures nearliest perfictest food.

RememberJulia Child trying to open oysters? Any moron knows that you dont attack em from the front cuz theyll see you comin.
After nearly 11 years or abstinence, I still keep a couple of those old style "church key" beer can openers. These are perffect for getting in the back hinge of the shell.
Horse radish and tabasco, two seriously needed condoments.
(fer eatin arsters ,)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 07:28 am
Ah, Walter, now you've made me long for Brunswick sausage as it is produced in your neck of the woods. And perhaps you can explain why it has come to mean liver sausage here?

For Our Dear Elephump:

"But not on us!" the Oysters cried,
Turning a little blue.
"After such kindness, that would be
A dismal thing to do!"
"The night is fine," the Walrus said.
"Do you admire the view?"

The Walrus and the Carpenter, in its entirety, may be viewed at the site at which i found it, in preparing this thread.

I find the best way to get oysters open is to generously tip the college boys working in a coastal city oyster bar, while one does a little recreational swimming in a schooner of cold beer . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 07:56 am
but the shank teeg arster is by far theeee best. (and probably the cleanest)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 07:58 am
Well, it originally is a cooked suasage, which is smoked afterwards, with (smoked) (porc) meat inside.

(The German author Heinrich von Kleist mentions btw in his "The Cracked Pot" ['Der zerbrochen Krug'] that Walter had breakfast with Braunschweiger :wink: - definately not meaning me!])

I have no serious theory, why the content of this sausage changed after having crossed the great big ocean.

"Aufbau" (the German-Jewish paper) had an article (Henry Marx, 1996, February 2) saying, that "Leberwurst' is known in the USA since 1867 and 'Braunschweiger' later became the most famous liversausage.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 08:00 am
When i was a little, wee wabbit, it was commonly referred to as liverwurst, but i think that usage is fading . . .

I don't believe i've every eaten a Chincoteaugue oyster . . . or, iffen i did, i knew it not . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 08:16 am
The cooks forum lists Braunschweiger as a wurst of the liver pudding (GAAACK) family. Named after trhe town of Braunschweig in Saxony, its the home of the Liverwursts .

Perhaps Walters got another suasage in min d. The stuff he pixed looks like good old Ring Baloney .(which would be an excellent name for an oompah band)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 08:19 am
They had ring baloney on sale at the store as well, but i decided two pounds of liver sausage was sin enough for me . . .

Mmmmmmmmmm . . . ring baloney . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 08:58 am
farmerman wrote:
The cooks forum lists Braunschweiger as a wurst of the liver pudding (GAAACK) family. Named after trhe town of Braunschweig in Saxony, its the home of the Liverwursts .

Perhaps Walters got another suasage in min d. The stuff he pixed looks like good old Ring Baloney .(which would be an excellent name for an oompah band)

No, not at all, farmerman: we mean excactly the same sausage (which cames from Braunschweig, but Braunschweig is [was] situated in ... Braunschweig [now: state of Lower Saxony].

And in the original Braunschweiger (from Braunschweig, and as sold here in Germany), there's no liver at all in it.

Liverwurst is completely different, since (mostly) not smoked and with liver in it.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 09:19 am
setanta : " I don't believe i've every eaten a C . . . or, iffen i did, i knew it not . . . " ... if you ever did eat a Chincoteaugue oyster, you surely would remember - single fried, of course ! you are setting yourself up for a serious reprimand for pretending not to be able to tell a Chincoteaugue oyster from an "ordinary" one. you will be reported to the special agent of the oyster-police by name of EHBETH , are you shaking yet ? (for those not in the know, the Chincoteaugue oysters are indeed a special kind and one must go to Chincoteaugue, virginia to find them). hbg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 09:43 am
Are ya gonna rat me out, HB?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 09:49 am
ahhh, the Chincoteague oyster. Absolute perfection. Best eaten outside, at long picnic tables? or perhaps at Don's - down by the waterfront. Sweet and smooth and wonderful.

I need to go back to Chincoteague, watch the sun come up over the Atlantic. Maybe the foxes will be watching over my shoulder again.

http://users.erols.com/bobcan/parks/assateague/dawn_t.jpg

or maybe the ponies will be in the water

http://plan.thewoottons.com/pics/assateagueHorses.jpg

Anyone for oyster stew for lunch? Don's Menu
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 10:32 am
sorry set , I didnt want to start a row here.Best time for a Shank teeg trip is actually now or in the Fall. plwenty of seafood, and you dont have to deal with people. I hate dealing with people on my days off.
Walter, the cooks forum is in error then. Im on a roll here about using the internet for lots of information. i gave a semester assignment in research methods in which a kn own truth is violated in the sciences. Its amazing the crap thats there. I stand corrected.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 10:41 am
farmerman - i think that murican Braunschweiger is a different critter from a 'proper' german Braunschweiger.

Setanta and I ran into a similar difference of understanding around Muenster cheese. Setanta is quite fond of the Muenster he gets in the Kroger's in Ohio. I kept marvelling that he would eat such a stron. pungent cheese, as he's not noted for his love of strongly-flavoured foods (and I never tried the Muenster he had).

A couple of years ago, we were going to be with the hamburgers over Christmas. We went to Alex's on the Danforth (a truly magnificent cheese store) to pick up a few things to take along. Sooooo, we ask for some Muenster - and when we get to the limestone city, unpack the Muenster and plate it - Setanta nearly collapses from the stink. 'Real' Muenster isn't even a cousin to Kroger's Muenster. mrs. hamburger was very pleased to assist Setanta with the stinky stuff - she likes those pungent cheeses. Very Happy
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 10:43 am
In Nova Scotia, the traps for Braunschweiger Oysters are usually set out in early May; but they are at their best only during a "Red Tide", when other sea food should not be eaten.

Diners usually find a sharp knife is best for 'skinning these oysters, rather than the usual wood 'chucking' equipment.

The finest Braunschweiger Oysters are disentered by Braunschweiger hounds during the Braunschweiger Diving Festival Season; the little guys dive like 'Navy' Seals.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Of Brunswick Sausage, and Oysters . . .
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 10:32:43