Do you know whether Einstein's The World As I See It was directly written in English by him?

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 07:13 pm
Because Einstein's mother tongue is German.

Quote:
Excerpts from The World As I See It (continued)
My political ideal is that of democracy. Let every man be respected as an individual and no man idolized. It is an irony of fate that I myself have been the recipient of excessive admiration and respect from my fellows through no fault, and no merit, of my own. The cause of this may well be the desire, unattainable for many, to understand the one or two ideas to which I have with my feeble powers attained through ceaseless struggle.

I am quite aware that it is necessary for the success of any complex undertaking that one man should do the thinking and directing and in general bear the responsibility. But the led must not be compelled, they must be able to choose their leader.

An autocratic system of coercion, in my opinion, soon degenerates. For force always attracts men of low morality, and I believe it to be an invariable rule that tyrants of genius are succeeded by scoundrels. For this reason I have always been passionately opposed to systems such as we see in Italy and Russia to-day.

More:
http://www.einsteinandreligion.com/worldsee2.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,910 • Replies: 7

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
McTag

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 01:14 am
@oristarA,
Probably not,

obwohl ich weiss nicht. BM
timur
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 01:59 am
@oristarA,
If I remember well, the book was first published in German under the title "Mein Weltbild".
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 02:38 am
@oristarA,
The translation puts me in mind of what some readers must enjoy.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 07:06 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Probably not,

obwohl ich weiss nicht. BM

What does BM mean?
"obwohl ich weiss nicht. BM" is translated into "although I do not know. BM"
contrex

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 11:26 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

What does BM mean?

Very likely to be McTag's initials.
timur

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 12:31 pm
@contrex,
Or "bis Morgen".

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 01:48 pm
@contrex,
BM is for bookmark, a post to make it easier to find a particular thread you may be interested in.
0 Replies