Why is it common for American adults to spend 6 hours each day surfing the Internet and playing

annanyc

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 10:30 pm
Why is it common for American adults to spend 6 hours each day surfing the Internet and playing video games, but very uncommon for them to spend 6 hours each day reading books?

Kolyo

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 11:25 pm
@annanyc,
You can multitask while you surf. You can't really do that with books.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 11:49 pm
I've a fine enough education, which is none of your business.

0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 01:18 am
@annanyc,
Beats the **** outta me. You got any ideas
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 05:26 am
What if you read books on your computer 6 hours per day? And are American?

Bet I just blew your mind there.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 06:35 am
@annanyc,
Now that's unnecessarily dismissive and oversimplifying statement.

Some people actually learn and enjoy a great deal (politics, history, science, nutrition, etc...) from their online activity. Some adults get their much needed socialization from their internet activity as well.

Video games can also have an intellectually stimulating effect. Spatial and logic based games are good for keeping up a sharp mind.

These activities aren't exclusive to American adults. Adults and children around the civilized world (Asia, Europe, South America, and beyond) spend a great deal of time (a lot of it admittedly on shallow and intellectually lightweight activities).

Reading books and online activity aren't necessarily mutually exclusive enterprises. One can waste a lot of time reading only terribly written shallow summer beach level books. Just because a person has dedicated his or her time to reading a book in physical form doesn't mean he or she is actually spending quality time learning and growing intellectually as a person.
0 Replies