What do you think about Evangelical Atheism?

chai2

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 05:12 pm
@Rockhead,
seriously.

you could get the **** beat out of you for sayin' you don't believe in Jesus.

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 05:20 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic, replying to Set wrote:
You are always so happy, How do you do it?
He loves dogs and coffee, two important prerequisites.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 05:21 pm
You may want to see if I already shared a video but to be honest I can not get enough of them and I am sure many others feel the same way. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 05:25 pm
Did you see this one? I thought it was funny, It's 2 minutes long

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 05:35 pm
@reasoning logic,
My mistake. I deleted it, I think before you responed. Yes I've watched both of your videos now.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 05:35 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Although i have met a few militant atheists in my life, far and away the atheists i have met have been those who are called, rather unjustly, weak atheists. They aren't weak in the sense that their refusal to believe is tentative or could easily be overcome. It just means they don't claim to know if there is or is not a god. I have know literally hundreds and hundreds of atheists of this description.

Those are not atheists, then. By definition, those are agnostics. Frank Apisa is a vehement agnostic. Laughing
Thomas

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 05:41 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Those are not atheists, then. By definition, those are agnostics. Frank Apisa is a vehement agnostic. Laughing

They're not mutually exclusive. The word "atheist" simply means "without any god". You can be without any god because you think you know there aren't any. But you can also be without any god simply by not holding a positive belief in any, while admitting you don't know. Contrary to what Frank may have told you, you can be both an agnostic and an atheist.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 05:45 pm
@Thomas,
I'll take your word for it, Thomas. But, contrary to what you've told me, my understanding of the distinction is this: an atheist will say "There is no god," while an agnostic will hedge and say, "I don't know whether there is or is not a god." A fine distinction, perhaps, but there's a reason for having two different words and two different concepts.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 05:55 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
"There is no god,"

I have never met an atheist who says there are no Gods. I do know of one character who is off the charts who says that at times just to be heard but if you asked him if it was a fact I do not think that he would make the claim.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 05:55 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
My understanding is that an atheist can by anything who says "I don't believe there is a god". I agree that some atheists are not agnostics, and that some agnostics are not atheists. But your earlier comment suggested that you can't be both; that's not true. (See Webster under atheist and agnostic.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 06:42 pm
@Setanta,
It was just such a nasty exercise in the ridicule of those who were not rhetorically and intellectually prepared to defend their belief that after seeing parts of three episodes, i would leave the room if someone tuned it in.

The Joe Pyne of atheists.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 06:54 pm
We go over this ground several times each year. I don't want to offend anybody, but I absolutely do not believe in any deist concept. But I don't let most people I meet in person know what I think. The new guy at work does not push his belief at me, but he listens to lots of religious radio programming when working alone. That's no problem for me. I think he is a fine, otherwise intelligent guy. The only way he is going to hear anything from me is if he ever decides to directly question my thoughts. Then I would fend it off if possible without saying much. But if backed into a corner I would let somebody hear it.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 07:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

It was just such a nasty exercise in the ridicule of those who were not rhetorically and intellectually prepared to defend their belief that after seeing parts of three episodes, i would leave the room if someone tuned it in.

The Joe Pyne of atheists.

Curious, what show was this?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 07:14 pm
@chai2,
Many years ago a character named Joe Pyne had a radio show. He did exactly what setanta describes, except I never heard him on religion. I recall one episode in which he invited a man to show off the new flag he designed for the states. After the introduction, Joe told the man "That's the stupidest flag I ever saw."
From Wikipedia:
His new show was unique. He named it It's Your Nickel, a popular idiomatic phrase when a call from a pay phone cost five cents. The format was Pyne expressing his opinions on various topics. Listeners would call to ask questions, offer their own opinions, or raise new topics. At first, Pyne didn't put callers on the air; he paraphrased for the audience what they had said. Soon the callers and his interaction with them became the heart of the show. Pyne became famous for arguing with or insulting those with whom he disagreed. One of his trademark insults was, "Go gargle with razor blades."[4]
chai2

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 07:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

"Go gargle with razor blades."[4]

That's disgusting.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 07:31 pm
@chai2,
Joes entire show was disgusting, as I recall.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 07:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Joes entire show was disgusting, as I recall.

Sounds a lot like Rush Limbaugh.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 05:07 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Sounds a lot like Rush Limbaugh.

I like listening to rush he makes me smile even though I do not agree with what he thinks is best for our society.

You mentioned M O'hair I guess because she was a dominant factor of atheism when you were younger and she seemed to be a bitch.

What do you think about this gentleman?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 05:46 pm
@reasoning logic,
Great potential not enough reading... generally I like him n share some of his views to an extent.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 06:07 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Great potential not enough reading.

Please explain or use a little more detail.