15
   

What do you think about Evangelical Atheism?

 
 
chai2
 
  1  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 08:37 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

What do you get when you cross a Jehovah Witness with an Atheist?

A Jehovah's Atheist? I never knew they existed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1CD9iU0PZ0[/youtube]


hmmmm.....

I notice this woman had no problem with him being an atheist....she just didn't have interest in talking.

She didn't bring up the fact she didn't agree w/ him, or had a belief in God, or any religion.

For all we know, she didn't have the time because she had to get back to her Thelema blog.
reasoning logic
 
  0  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 08:47 am
@chai2,
Quote:
While this might be true, I'm not 100% convinced there aren't a lot of people, that if really made to think about, and answer after careful consideration, would say they have no particular belief, or that the beliefs they "have" are based on the fact that "that's what my parents/teacher/pastor/society said"


I am sure this is true and more prominent in different areas. I live in the deep south bible belt and things may be a little different here than where you are.

It may be like in different Muslim nations where you will be killed for not believing or blasphemy. Where the social currents change so do the people.
reasoning logic
 
  0  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 08:49 am
@chai2,
Quote:
hmmmm.....

I notice this woman had no problem with him being an atheist....she just didn't have interest in talking.


I think she thought he was weird
chai2
 
  1  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 08:49 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:
it might also be that most atheists understand folks and their need for religion, and have enough compassion not to make an ass of themselves to make a point that is not wanted...


I do see your point but I think it has more to do with numbers.

Atheist are fewer in number so that is why we hear fewer of the negative things that they may do.

I think that atheists are similar to theists in their ability to be annoying, just as with all other groups you have good and bad people representing the group.

Would you consider atheism to be a non-belief system?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1G8nJ2IFjA[/youtube]



WTF did this have to do with anything?

It wasn't even about atheism or belief in God.

Did you not watch it yourself?
reasoning logic
 
  0  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 08:57 am
@chai2,
Quote:
WTF did this have to do with anything?

It wasn't even about atheism or belief in God.

Did you not watch it yourself?


I do not know what you mean Confused It was about a man going door to door talking about atheism. What did you see?
chai2
 
  1  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 08:59 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:


I am sure this is true and more prominent in different areas. I live in the deep south bible belt and things may be a little different here than where you are.

It may be like in different Muslim nations where you will be killed for not believing or blasphemy. Where the social currents change so do the people.


If you're sure this is true, then why did you state atheists are fewer in numbers? You were just pulling that out of your ass, weren't you?

I live in Texas....don't talk to me about bible belt.

I've also lived in other bible belt areas, and what I was referring to included (in ways in particular) the people who live there.

My belief, based on direct observation, exactly what I was saying in my previous post. People say they belief because it's just the acceptable thing to do, and they've not been bothered to consider otherwise.

From my experience, there's a rabidly religious core to any particular church, and others around them who are more moderate, or even leaning toward non belief, understand that standing up to these extremely in your face believers with their general ennui about religion will mean nothing but difficulting in dealing with other members of that society that just drink the koolaide so as to stay under the wire.
chai2
 
  1  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 08:59 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:
hmmmm.....

I notice this woman had no problem with him being an atheist....she just didn't have interest in talking.


I think she thought he was weird


But you don't know that, do you?
chai2
 
  1  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 09:01 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:
WTF did this have to do with anything?

It wasn't even about atheism or belief in God.

Did you not watch it yourself?


I do not know what you mean Confused It was about a man going door to door talking about atheism. What did you see?


Oh wait, I apologize, I watched that one, then continued and clicked another video with the same guy that was waiting outside someone's home, but for an entirely different purpose.

My mistake.

carry on.
0 Replies
 
reasoning logic
 
  0  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 09:05 am
@chai2,
Quote:
But you don't know that, do you?


Maybe I should have used the word funny or ridiculous?

She did seem to think it was a bit funny as she did laugh a little.

I thought the funny one was when the guy answered the door naked
0 Replies
 
Cyracuz
 
  3  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 09:36 am
@reasoning logic,
The phrase 'teach others how to think, not what to think' should be enough. I never 'preach' my ideas and beliefs, but I do like to question others who do.
I have realized that to many people 'I don't know' is not an acceptable answer. Most people, it seems to me, will rather believe the most ridiculous fantasy than live with the suspense of not having an answer.
reasoning logic
 
  0  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 09:44 am
@chai2,
Quote:
If you're sure this is true, then why did you state atheists are fewer in numbers? You were just pulling that out of your ass, weren't you?


Do you think that there are more atheists than theists?

I am sure there are places where this may be true but where I live there seems to be more theists than atheists.

I talk to many of them and when they bring up religion "God bless, thank God or what ever" which happens frequently it gives me an open to question their belief in a polite way. My job allows me to meet thousands of people per year. You might be surprised at how willing they are to share their religious views and I am one who enjoys hearing what they have to say. I do not stand in their face and tell them they are wrong but I do at times give them little things to think about.
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 10:03 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

And her son turned into a born-again Christian! Laughing Laughing Laughing

We are talking some highly emotional people here.
0 Replies
 
dalehileman
 
  1  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 10:13 am
@reasoning logic,
No Logic, if outspoken less convincing

Forgive pun
0 Replies
 
reasoning logic
 
  0  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 11:00 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
I'm open to discussing religion with people if they want to discuss it, but I don't like to be preached to or evangelized, so I try to extend the same courtesy with my approach to atheism.


That seems to be a good approach.
0 Replies
 
chai2
 
  1  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 11:30 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:
If you're sure this is true, then why did you state atheists are fewer in numbers? You were just pulling that out of your ass, weren't you?


Do you think that there are more atheists than theists?




I don't know.

You won't find me hazarding a guess, or making an assumption, because I don't know what goes on in peoples minds....even when they are sitting or kneeling in a church, or bowing on a carpet that's facing Mecca.

What I can say is that if I were suddenly transported to Pakistan I'd certainly perform the rituals, as not doing so could literally mean my life.

While one's life would not be in danger (I would hope) if one did not attend services in certain communities in this country, they certainly would be ostracized, looked down on, etc. Easy fix to avoid that, go to the service, and pretend enough to get by.
Lustig Andrei
 
  1  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 11:38 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

While one's life would not be in danger (I would hope) if one did not attend services in certain communities in this country, they certainly would be ostracized, looked down on, etc. Easy fix to avoid that, go to the service, and pretend enough to get by.


I believe that is exactly what a large majority of church-goers do -- they go there just to show their faces without any beliefs one way or the other.

I could never ever do that. I have any number of faults and short-comings; being a hypocrite is not one of them. I'll gladly enter a church for a special occasion e.g. a wedding, christening or funeral service but I could never do so for the social aspect, just because it's the locally approved action on a Sunday morning.

So go ahead and stone me.
chai2
 
  1  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 12:08 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I tend to agree with you Andy, re showing their faces.

I used to work with this really sweet girl....when I say girl I mean young lady, about 26, very intelligent, had her act together, etc.

We didn't discuss religion, the 2 of us, except once or twice the passing comment.

When I said she was smart, she really was, but, like everyone, there were just some things that either didn't interest her much, or, like everyone else, just took for granted.

Once, the subject of evolution came up. She was quite frank in saying she didn't know much about it, and hadn't given it any thought. She went on to say she figured the world came about the way the Bible said, because "How else could it have happened?" She had no interest whatsoever in how else it could have happened....just wasn't her thing.
She was a very social person, and it's less controversial to just go along with "God did it" when the people you associated with didn't much care about that stuff either.

During out work relationship, she had found (and been found by) a young man, and it was obvious it was going to lead to marriage (they're married now). She was happily wool gathering one day, talking about their future together. They had discussed where they wanted to live, and raise a family. She was talking about children, taking them to church, so forth. I asked her about that, and said she didn't seem particularly religious, didn't go to church now, why would she if she had kids.

Her insightful answer, well, didn't surprise me, but made me realize she did think more about some things than other people did.
She said she thought it was important to have a church while you're raising children, because it gave them an automatic community. They and their children would find friends, get involved in healthy activities, go on planned trips, present her children to the world as they grew as someone with standards and a strong moral compass. I asked her "so it's more about community than God?" She immediately said "That's right."

I'll have to say about her that she really was a good person, and I saw her at her worst, when angry, upset, etc. She never cursed, was very honest, and was very kind.

It was more like "God? Sure, why not?"

Oh....related to that, I think I asked her about her feelings on an afterlife (at least I asked her at one point) She had no definite ideas, didn't given heaven much thought, didn't give hell any consideration at all.

It was like she was "an accidental christian"....I think there's a lot of them
reasoning logic
 
  0  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 12:21 pm
@chai2,
I can respect views like hers but it seems to me that what she wanted was to be a part of a tribe "community" and she thought that she would find a church that would teach good morals and give the kids things to do with other kids.
I see nothing wrong with that but I do see something wrong with people encouraging others to believe in things that are not true.
0 Replies
 
reasoning logic
 
  0  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 12:28 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
I believe that is exactly what a large majority of church-goers do -- they go there just to show their faces without any beliefs one way or the other.


Maybe you are correct and I am sure that some do this because they have to as children.

When I talk to adults who attend church they are often willing to share their views and I do have to say, I have not met one who was not willing to defend their faith with scripture.

Do not get me wrong, most of them seem to be very good people, they just believe differently than me on the God issue.
0 Replies
 
reasoning logic
 
  0  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 12:33 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
The phrase 'teach others how to think, not what to think' should be enough.


Sounds good to me. How do you do this without the "what" questions?
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/15/2019 at 05:40:11